Weed:3x Higher Hypertension Risk

Pun intended... the smoking I get but I wonder about vaping

AUGUST 9, 2017 / 2:37 AM / 7 HOURS AGO

Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study

Kate Kelland

LONDON (Reuters) - People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday.

The risk grows with every year of use, they said.

The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.

"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.

"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."

Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.

The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 2005–2006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.

For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.

The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.

The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

There was no link between marijuana use and dying from heart or cerebrovascular diseases such as strokes.

Yankey said were limitations in the way marijuana use was assessed -- including that researchers could not be sure whether people had used the drug continuously since they first tried it.

But she said the results chimed with plausible risks, since marijuana is known to affect the cardiovascular system.

"Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand," she said.

Experts not directly involved in the study said its findings would need to be replicated, but already raised concerns.

"Despite the widely held view that cannabis is benign, this research adds to previous work suggesting otherwise," said Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at Britain's York University

Wrong. 

Yeah that study definitely needs to be replicated since it appears to just be followups based on survey results. Also it doesn't even address that people with hypertension may be more likely to use cannabis in the first place.

Hahahahahahahaha

I should be dead then

mostofyou -
RedbansViennaSausage -

Yeah that study definitely needs to be replicated since it appears to just be followups based on survey results. Also it doesn't even address that people with hypertension may be more likely to use cannabis in the first place.

Or people who do drugs make other bad lifestyle choices

sbocking 

Cannabis isn't a drug, you retarded faggot, it's a plant. 

mostofyou -
RedbansViennaSausage -

sbocking 

Yeah super could be that also. Point is the study never even addresses it

Study paid for by big pharma or the Clintons/prison industrial complex?

I remember the 'pasta is healthy' study that came out last year.  It was paid for by Barilla.  

Another poorly-done correlative (aka waste of time, no real conclusion) study, just like all of those referenced in What The Health.  

I hope all you potheads' blood pressure gets so high that you get high pressure aids from sharing pot needles.

I do lots of pots but it doesnt make me hyper or tense. Fake study.

I literally just got back from an doctors appointment.

I smoke weed everyday. The nurse's exact words: "Your blood pressure is excellent!".

I'm lean, I'm fit, and my blood courses smoothly through my veins. 

Science is apparently also fake news. 

Correlation is not causation. I feel if ppl make this their mantra, there will be a lot less jumping to conclusions. Proper studies need to be conducted. 

Pablo Duke -

We really need to get this stuff off of schedule 1 status so there can be some real solid research going on.  

Truth

opieandjimmy - I smoke and and take edibles since I was a teenager, blood pressure is fine.

I almost have had to go to the hospital once for taking way way way to much on edibles lol. I've done a bunch of lsd and mushrooms and nothing has ever been that scary.
What could they do? Maybe flush your system or some shit?

TFK_HossPearson -

Correlation is not causation. I feel if ppl make this their mantra, there will be a lot less jumping to conclusions. Proper studies need to be conducted. 

Exactly.  Why do people even do correlative studies?  They are a waste of time.  

I guess if the funding is there, they'll take the $.  

mostofyou -
Captain CargoShorts -
mostofyou -
RedbansViennaSausage -

sbocking 

Cannabis isn't a drug, you retarded faggot, it's a plant. 

So coke isn't a drug either?

I'll bite. 

Cocaine starts off as a plant but is then processed using chemicals to distil it down into the substance that gets you all jacked up. 

An argument can be made that modern cannabis growing means a ton of chemicals get into the plant through cultivation which isn't ideal. 

But to compare the cocoa plant to cocaine as a comparison to weed is a stretch at best. 

You can still get a buzz from chewing cocoa leaves but it's nothing like cocaine. 

I took an entire Marijuana once, I didn't have a heart attack.

here comes the propaganda and disinformation funded by various shadowy govt agencies, Republicans, Big Pharma, Big Alcohol, and Big Tobacco...you guys want "states rights" well guess what those STATES and PEOPLE are voting for medical and recreational cannabis!! deal with it (sunglasses)

Everything is to blame except for sugars!