Weeds have taken over my lawn..... What do?

I've got close to an acre. Don't even know what kind of grass I have..... Doesnt really matter I guess because theres more weeds than grass. The front yard isnt great but is ok. The back though, about 2/3 acre, is a nightmare.....dandelions, clover, onions, some shit with little yellow flowers, and a couple other things at least. It sucks.

My rudimentary research has told me the best route is to kill it all, remove dead vegetation and reseed..... Fuck that. Way too much work, kids spending half the day in the yard now, etc.

Anyone know of, or had any luck with another method to transition from weeds to grass without having a dirt yard the kids can't play in? I don't even care if takes 2 or 3 years to get it decent.

Weed&Feed has worked for me before -- though I just had a small back and front yard. Just read the bag to make sure your grass type is on there. If you don't know take a picture and take it to the nursery or Home Depot. They will know.

Take a picutre of the grass that you have and post it

You can buy selective herbicides for your specific grass variety. They keep your grass alive, but kill the weeds and other competeing grass varieties

Do not kill the dandelions. Please.

Are you wealthy enough to buy enough sod for 2/3 of an acre? You don't want to waste any time or money on grass seeds, because the weeds will only take over again

Jack Carter -

Are you wealthy enough to buy enough sod for 2/3 of an acre? You don't want to waste any time or money on grass seeds, because the weeds will only take over again

That would be nice, but cost more than I'm willing to put into it. I guess I'll try some weed and feed type product and see what happens. In the mean time I'll try to identify specifically what kind of weeds I have. There's got to be at least half a dozen..... Its crazy. Sucks when I have onions that are 12" tall before the rest of it needs cutting.

I got tired of freakin' nutsedge, so I just took weed and grass killer to it this year. I don't mind the huge brown spots in my yard, I am just glad that stupid nutsedge is dead.

TFK_Mas Tisu -

I got tired of freakin' nutsedge, so I just took weed and grass killer to it this year. I don't mind the huge brown spots in my yard, I am just glad that stupid nutsedge is dead.

What does it look like? I probably have it too.

darren23372 -
TFK_Mas Tisu -

What does it look like? I probably have it too.
Google it and think that's one I don't have.

Yeah, it is a deep green color that just stands out in a bermuda yard

Pat Giles - Do not kill the dandelions. Please.
Yeah, think about how many potential wishes you're going to lose.

Smoke them

Relevant to my interests

Round up your entire lawn.

Go to tractor supply company, ask for 25-d.  

Two four -d. Not 2-5

6-8 oz in a two gallon hand sprayer.  Clover will take a few applications once a week.  It will smoke everything else.  It's the same active ingredient in Scott's weed and feed but it works much better in a sprayer.

Cancer in a bottle

move

Off with their heads!