Weidman calling out Silva, justified?

alright, so here's the thing
lately there's been a lot of talking going on in the middle weight division since the endless saga between Silva and Sonnen has ended. a lot of fighters including Alan Belcher,Michal Bisping, and the new rising name of the division Chris Weidman has been calling out the champ.

Now I don't have a problem with fighters calling out other fighters, and for the record i think Weidman looked fantastic in his last fight against Munoz, but does that give him the right to call out the kingin of the division?

when Silva got his first shot at Rich Franklin he was coming to that fight at 18-4. and thats include fighting at pride and being the champion of cage rage.

10 Title defense! I mean, does anybody have the right to call out someone like him?

at the end of the day it all comes to money, I know i wouldnt pay for Weidman vs Silva as main event

so I think what im trying to say is, cut the crap and start fighting to determine who's the real number one contender of the division!

what do you think guys?
is it just me or a lot of talking is going on and less fighting?

I tihkn fighters can call out whoever they want, and the fans/media will laugh it off if they are full of it. (ie: Cody calling out Edgar)

Weidman has a legit opinion that he is the #1 contender, but based on merit one could also argue Tim Boetsch. Niether of them is really a draw, and sadly the UFC looks at more than just merit to make match ups.

I am not sure there are any clear front runners for title contention at middle weight. It be nice to a have some title eliminator bouts to clearly define it. Bisping, Belcher, Weidman, and Belfort (mainly because I cant think of anyone else who fits) are probably the top contenders right now. Anderson doesnt want to fight again until 2013 and that should be time enough to sort it all out. Belcher v Belfort (already scheduled) Weidman v Bisping and then winners battle for contention. Whoever came out the victor would be a clear cut top contender. 

i dont think cris realises that anderson had an extensive fighting career before he came to the ufc. zuffa does honor work done in other orgs. hendo always gets fast-tracked shogun too even brock although it was wwe he still had a name

hendo got 2 title fights in a row being he had a rich history. wiedman hasnt made a name for himself yet he should just chill out and wait his turn he will get ko'ed in due time

Ryan Williams - I am not sure there are any clear front runners for title contention at middle weight. It be nice to a have some title eliminator bouts to clearly define it. Bisping, Belcher, Weidman, and Belfort (mainly because I cant think of anyone else who fits) are probably the top contenders right now. Anderson doesnt want to fight again until 2013 and that should be time enough to sort it all out. Belcher v Belfort (already scheduled) Weidman v Bisping and then winners battle for contention. Whoever came out the victor would be a clear cut top contender. 

Missing Boetsch

Just beat:

Lombard

Okami

Those 2 wins are at least as good as Maia/Munoz when put into context.

Stann with a viscous beating of Bisping might get into the mix as well.

Id agree with Boetsch replacing Vitor in my scenario. Like I said just was off the top of my head and forgot he beat Lombard and Okami. 

Ryan Williams -  Id agree with Boetsch replacing Vitor in my scenario. Like I said just was off the top of my head and forgot he beat Lombard and Okami. 

Yeah we can all easily forget about Tim Boetsch based on that last fight with Hector :)

Just adding him into the mix.

I would have Weidman/Boetsch as the top 2 contenders right now based on merit. Then the others you named on the next tier down just slightly. I am hoping that this stuff Dana has been avoiding giving a straight answer on at MW is gonna be a tournament style of some sort.

After Belfort/Belcher and Bisping/Stann they could take the winners of those and do a 4 man with Boetsch/Weidman plus those 2 winners. :P

MMA today is based on money and pay per view buys and champions want big names to further their income. But its up to the promotion to either use this method, or make the champions defend their belts no matter who it is. Good example of this would be Gilbert Melendez. He knows its his duty to defend the Strikeforce LW belt and he does.

Personally I think the UFC needs some sort of format so that the Champion knows who he will fight and then market each of the contender so the fans know who the top guys are.

Right now it seems the divisions are "cleared out" but really that means they cleared out the fighters who were most marketable. There's a lot of tough matchups for the champs at all weight classes. Phone Post