Weidman is LEGIT... But...

No question about it.. Weidman is the real deal but something about it that I can't seem to get..

His technique... His punches, His stance seems lacking something.. He feels ackward and doesn't look as threatening with his strikes vs the actual damage he does... I look at him fight and I find it hard to believe that he's defeated Lyoto and Anderson.

I look at Pettis, Aldo, Jones etc.. And I see that it facyor that shines out.. He looks so sverage yet he is accomplishing some great feats.

What an odd thing! Phone Post 3.0

he's the modern day Jake Lamotta in terms of heart and durability....

But he is very skillfull it's just very deceptive.   Look at how Machida handled Gegard and weidman took it to machida.

Weidmans distance, footwork and striking was beautiful.

His cardio is the only question and he really needs to get with dolce for his diet and weight cuts because that looks like his only weakness.

He does it all, except with no flashiness to it. Phone Post 3.0

He just inst the most flashy fighter, and people dont give him enough respect. His wrestling has more a of "it" factor then the named guys striking, he took down and controlled Machida more then Jones was able to.

Hes not super flashy but he gets it done.

Caught_clean - He just inst the most flashy fighter, and people dont give him enough respect. His wrestling has more a of "it" factor then the named guys striking, he took down and controlled Machida more then Jones was able to.

Jones didn't commit to taking Machida down until the end of the second round, nor did he try to hold him there. He threw elbows and busted him open.

It's also interesting to note that "feather fist" Jones hurt Machida worse with strikes than the guy who KO'd Anderson.

Maybe that's how other fighters feel and then bam! they're in a world of trouble.

It's called mastering basics and solid fundamentals.  No flashiness, inefficient moves or trickery.  Just good technique.  I mentioned in another thread how champions like Tim Duncan and Klitscho are seen the same as boring and unexciting because they use fundamentals to dominate more "entertaining" opponents.  Majority of fans seem to prefer style over substance.

JoeHurley -

It's called mastering basics and solid fundamentals.  No flashiness, inefficient moves or trickery.  Just good technique.  I mentioned in another thread how champions like Tim Duncan and Klitscho are seen the same as boring and unexciting because they use fundamentals to dominate more "entertaining" opponents.  Majority of fans seem to prefer style over substance.

Perfect analysis VTFU. Phone Post 3.0

Phisher -
Caught_clean - He just inst the most flashy fighter, and people dont give him enough respect. His wrestling has more a of "it" factor then the named guys striking, he took down and controlled Machida more then Jones was able to.

Jones didn't commit to taking Machida down until the end of the second round, nor did he try to hold him there. He threw elbows and busted him open.

It's also interesting to note that "feather fist" Jones hurt Machida worse with strikes than the guy who KO'd Anderson.

Someone's a little salty Weidman won Phone Post 3.0

JoeHurley - 

Well put.  I was going to say he's very Duncan-esque.

I would agree, his is somewhat awkward and clumsy but he makes it work for him.

At the end of the day, thats all that really matters.

He didn't 'defeat' Lyoto, he 'decisioned' Lyoto. Phone Post 3.0

After watching that fight Weidman is legit but Jones will beat him no question about it Phone Post 3.0

His base is wrestling, wrestlers typically (not all of them) have pretty over developed posterior chain, comparably speaking. All of your punching power comes from your posterior chain. This also explains why Hendrix puts people to sleep.

I also think his Psychology degree gives him a mental edge above his peers. It's one thing to have a strong mind, it's another to know how it works and how to make it stronger. Phone Post 3.0

Phisher -

Really? Because we must have not been watching the same fight. See in the fight that the rest of us watched last night, Weidman busted the fuck out of machidas face and used awesome footwork to cut him off the whole time... Phone Post 3.0

Keyboard douchebag doesn't understand world championship technique so makes thread on his confusion.

LOL...each year this place spirals ever downward.

Phisher -

This. I'm note convinced than ever that jones brutally finishes weidman. Weidman should stay at 185 and ignore moving up to 205. Phone Post 3.0

He reminds me so much of Rocky Marciano, his size and movement are virtually identical. Plus he shares the incredibly deceptive punching power.

He's gonna be a great champion.

"His technique... His punches, His stance seems lacking something.. He feels ackward and doesn't look as threatening with his strikes vs the actual damage he does... I look at him fight and I find it hard to believe that he's defeated Lyoto and Anderson."

Ha, I feel the exact same way. He's the only guy other than Shogun to beat up Machida on the feet and he beat Anderson twice without getting touched, so he's clearly as real as it gets.

But you watch him fight and it just doesn't look like he should be getting those results. Somehow it looks like he's not that good and like he's not doing anything special, and you find yourself wondering how Anderson and Machida got so far when this seemingly very pedestrian fighter whups them. I mean he doesn't seem fast at all, his combos are pretty blah, his cardio seems mediocre, his takedowns look far from dominant.

If I saw last night's fight and didn't know who either guy was, I would never have imagined either guy was some kind of worldbeater -- I would have thought it was an okay fight between two almost mediocre fighters.

I agree with OP, who by the way also said Weidman is the real deal, so I don't know why people are getting butthurt.

Weidman doesn't fall for feints and teickery and has incredibly fast reflexes. Machida is the king of sneaky quick counter attacks and shoulder/hip fakes to set up his deceptive strikes & Weidman checked the vast majority of them.

He really is the Tim Duncan of MMA. The Big Fundamental. Phone Post 3.0