Weidman is LEGIT... But...

JoeHurley - 

It's called mastering basics and solid fundamentals.  No flashiness, inefficient moves or trickery.  Just good technique.  I mentioned in another thread how champions like Tim Duncan and Klitscho are seen the same as boring and unexciting because they use fundamentals to dominate more "entertaining" opponents.  Majority of fans seem to prefer style over substance.

Spot on. The Duncan comparison is perfect.

Weidman seems to be more than the sum of his parts. He does everything right in every area, but I think he's one of those guys that can only be truly appreciated with careful analysis (and plenty of slow motion replays).

I'd love to see a breakdown of his fights like the one on Rory-Woodley. 

Since06 - His base is wrestling, wrestlers typically (not all of them) have pretty over developed posterior chain, comparably speaking. All of your punching power comes from your posterior chain. This also explains why Hendrix puts people to sleep.

I also think his Psychology degree gives him a mental edge above his peers. It's one thing to have a strong mind, it's another to know how it works and how to make it stronger. Phone Post 3.0
Lol. The psychology degree shit is bullshit. He's just a confident young man that stays positive. Phone Post 3.0

ausgepicht - Keyboard douchebag doesn't understand world championship technique so makes thread on his confusion.

LOL...each year this place spirals ever downward.
. Phone Post 3.0

He looks like the default character in any game that has a create-a-character. Chris "Default" Weidman. 

The way he was cutting machida off was impressive, Phone Post 3.0

The only thing that looks a little awkward are his kicks. Phone Post 3.0

SirBadd - No question about it.. Weidman is the real deal but something about it that I can't seem to get..

His technique... His punches, His stance seems lacking something.. He feels ackward and doesn't look as threatening with his strikes vs the actual damage he does... I look at him fight and I find it hard to believe that he's defeated Lyoto and Anderson.

I look at Pettis, Aldo, Jones etc.. And I see that it facyor that shines out.. He looks so sverage yet he is accomplishing some great feats.

What an odd thing! Phone Post 3.0
Your gonna get hated for this comment but I agree. He's not a flashy striker but he is very very fundamental and powerful. He's not flashy and crisp like the others you mentioned and it does look awkward at times.

But when it comes to his wrestling it is far from smooth. Guy is like an anaconda Phone Post 3.0

MillhouseMMA -

He looks like the default character in any game that has a create-a-character. Chris "Default" Weidman. 

Hahaha kinda true but the one you turned all the states up to 99. Sometimes those guys still aren't as fun to play with as the actual champs who have their signature moves ect... Phone Post 3.0

Far from awkward, it is smooth ^^ Phone Post 3.0

Like a lot of elite wrestlers, Weidman is very athletic, strong, tough, and -- most importantly -- coachable.

When he gets in the cage his game plan doesn't start falling apart. He keeps the proper distance, he doesn't fall into the other fighter's strategy, he chains wrestling and striking back and forth seamlessly, he's strong in every position (on the ground, standing, in the clinch, against the cage), and he's got a great chin.

daxfactor -
Since06 - His base is wrestling, wrestlers typically (not all of them) have pretty over developed posterior chain, comparably speaking. All of your punching power comes from your posterior chain. This also explains why Hendrix puts people to sleep.

I also think his Psychology degree gives him a mental edge above his peers. It's one thing to have a strong mind, it's another to know how it works and how to make it stronger. Phone Post 3.0
Lol. The psychology degree shit is bullshit. He's just a confident young man that stays positive. Phone Post 3.0
I suppose it's a good thing I said "I think" as in its my opinion. For instance, someone who is a nutritionist could conceivably plan and execute a better diet than someone who isn't. There again, what's the purpose of learning anything about any subject or practice, because there's no way you could implement what you've learned, that preposterous. Phone Post 3.0

I completely agree OP. He still has that sloppy look about him to me. Especially compared to all the other champions. I respect his skills, but like you, I find it hard to believe he's beaten the guys he has. Phone Post 3.0

orcus - "His technique... His punches, His stance seems lacking something.. He feels ackward and doesn't look as threatening with his strikes vs the actual damage he does... I look at him fight and I find it hard to believe that he's defeated Lyoto and Anderson."

Ha, I feel the exact same way. He's the only guy other than Shogun to beat up Machida on the feet and he beat Anderson twice without getting touched, so he's clearly as real as it gets.

But you watch him fight and it just doesn't look like he should be getting those results. Somehow it looks like he's not that good and like he's not doing anything special, and you find yourself wondering how Anderson and Machida got so far when this seemingly very pedestrian fighter whups them. I mean he doesn't seem fast at all, his combos are pretty blah, his cardio seems mediocre, his takedowns look far from dominant.

If I saw last night's fight and didn't know who either guy was, I would never have imagined either guy was some kind of worldbeater -- I would have thought it was an okay fight between two almost mediocre fighters.

I agree with OP, who by the way also said Weidman is the real deal, so I don't know why people are getting butthurt.

Exactly! That's what I've been getting at in another thread.

Clearly Weidman IS a terrific fighter. He's achieving special results as he fights, and you can figure it out intellectually why he's doing it (e.g. pressure, cutting angles, patience, reach, timing, etc). It's just that he doesn't "look" like he's anything special at all as he fights.

Phisher -
Caught_clean - He just inst the most flashy fighter, and people dont give him enough respect. His wrestling has more a of "it" factor then the named guys striking, he took down and controlled Machida more then Jones was able to.

Hes not super flashy but he gets it done.

Jones didn't commit to taking Machida down until the end of the second round, nor did he try to hold him there. He threw elbows and busted him open.

It's also interesting to note that "feather fist" Jones hurt Machida worse with strikes than the guy who KO'd Anderson.

Feather fist?!?! The guy is a fucking light heavyweight. He hits hard trust me. You guys are so damn stupid some times. Anderson should have shown you it's not how hard you hit someone, but where you hit them and how their movement coincides with the strike. Machida was moving in towards jones and jones popped his ass right on the button. Rampage even said that jones hit him hard and rampage is known for taking shots Phone Post 3.0

Phisher -
Caught_clean - He just inst the most flashy fighter, and people dont give him enough respect. His wrestling has more a of "it" factor then the named guys striking, he took down and controlled Machida more then Jones was able to.

Hes not super flashy but he gets it done.

Jones didn't commit to taking Machida down until the end of the second round, nor did he try to hold him there. He threw elbows and busted him open.

It's also interesting to note that "feather fist" Jones hurt Machida worse with strikes than the guy who KO'd Anderson.

Jones was getting lit up by Machida for a minute Phone Post 3.0

The OP's eyes are "average".

Read JackSlack's article incoming about the fight last night and he will help you compute the greatness Phone Post 3.0

SirBadd - No question about it.. Weidman is the real deal but something about it that I can't seem to get..

His technique... His punches, His stance seems lacking something.. He feels ackward and doesn't look as threatening with his strikes vs the actual damage he does... I look at him fight and I find it hard to believe that he's defeated Lyoto and Anderson.

I look at Pettis, Aldo, Jones etc.. And I see that it facyor that shines out.. He looks so sverage yet he is accomplishing some great feats.

same thing here, i made a thread about this exact thing a few days ago..i dont understand what makes Weidman as good as he is as he isnt explosive and doesnt throw punches in bunches nor does he clam people like Cormier..he doesnt seem that technical with his striking or grappling so yes, im confused as well..he gets the job done though..props to him..just wish he wasnt so bland personality wise...ugghh

Bisping decisioned my SN -
SirBadd - No question about it.. Weidman is the real deal but something about it that I can't seem to get..

Your gonna get hated for this comment but I agree. He's not a flashy striker but he is very very fundamental and powerful. He's not flashy and crisp like the others you mentioned and it does look awkward at times.

But when it comes to his wrestling it is far from smooth. Guy is like an anaconda Phone Post 3.0
Kinda sounds like a bigger, stronger, better version of Shields. Phone Post 3.0

Ugh..These threads lately have been awful. Phone Post 3.0

He still finishes the large majority of his opponents. Phone Post 3.0