Weidman's chances against Vitor

Hi everyone!

New to the UG and hoping to learn/exchange ideas with the very intelligent/knowledgeable folks on here. I've followed MMA for a few years now (thanks to my sister who got me into it and is an MMA encyclopedia!) but still consider myself a work in progress!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Weidman's chances against VItor...?

Though I'm a fan of both, IMHO I am leaning towards Vitor. His punching power is just too much. Then again, if Weidman can take it to the ground, and avoid Vitor's strikes, it could go in Weidman's direction. I figure it'll either be a first round TKO/KO by Vitor... but if, Vitor doesn't pull that off early, then Weidman likely prevails.

Thoughts?

Depends on where the fight is... Watch them announce it for brazil.. Then i'd give the advantage to vitor. In the states? Advantage chris. Phone Post 3.0

Also, welcome dearest. Glad you came to your senses and joined us here. Phone Post 3.0

RyannVonDoom - Depends on where the fight is... Watch them announce it for brazil.. Then i'd give the advantage to vitor. In the states? Advantage chris. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for the welcome, Ryann! :)

That's very interesting about the fight's location being a big swing factor. Hey, homecourt advantage has always been huge in NFL and NBA... why not MMA, too? 

Is Vitor licensed to fight in the states yet? Could the fight potentially happen here? 

This is close to 50/50, I expect an epic 5 round war.

I give a slight edge to Chris, given how he performed against Silva. The way he handled the pressure and finished Anderson, that is some mental toughness.

Bienvenida MMALatina

I got Weidman anywhere but Brazil.

Entreri - This is close to 50/50, I expect an epic 5 round war.

I give a slight edge to Chris, given how he performed against Silva. The way he handled the pressure and finished Anderson, that is some mental toughness.

If Chris can take it 5 rounds, that would certainly cement him (in my eyes at least) as one of the top 2 fighters in the world. Vitor's had two 1st round knockouts in his last two fights, and one 2nd round knockout. I think he holds the record (?) for 1st round knockouts, if I recall correctly.

So, being able to 'drag' Vitor past that first or second round, and avoiding that 'signature' knockout, woud be a feat in itself and would certainly be conclusive evidence of Weidman's skill.

I can't wait for this! 

Sinful1 - Bienvenida MMALatina

Gracias, Sinful1!

Yup, looks like folks feel the venue would make a huge difference... But with Weidman's focus (he showed this past fight how focused he can be under pressure!), do you think the Brazil venue would really 'rattle' him? Or is it more a case of the Brazil-venue not so much rattling Weidman but rather giving Vitor that extra 'drive'? Guess it's a bit of both! :)

I love that Weidman still is not getting any respect

I hope the odds makers agree

MMALatina -
RyannVonDoom - Depends on where the fight is... Watch them announce it for brazil.. Then i'd give the advantage to vitor. In the states? Advantage chris. Phone Post 3.0

That's very interesting about the fight's location being a big swing factor. Hey, homecourt advantage has always been huge in NFL and NBA... why not MMA, too? 

Is Vitor licensed to fight in the states yet? Could the fight potentially happen here? 

Its more about what vitor can use in each location... trt use in brazil will give him advantage, and thats why he's been fighting in brazil.

Considering who you are, why wouldnt i? Phone Post 3.0

MMALatina - 
Sinful1 - Bienvenida MMALatina

Gracias, Sinful1!

Yup, looks like folks feel the venue would make a huge difference... But with Weidman's focus (he showed this past fight how focused he can be under pressure!), do you think the Brazil venue would really 'rattle' him? Or is it more a case of the Brazil-venue not so much rattling Weidman but rather giving Vitor that extra 'drive'? Guess it's a bit of both! :)

TRT gives Vitor the extra drive not the venue or the crowd.I don't
think Weidman would get phased by the crowd.

Ramon Maroni - I love that Weidman still is not getting any respect

I hope the odds makers agree

It's kind of odd. I could see how the 1st fight possibly wasn't enough to earn the respect of the fans (e.g., "did Weidman win the fight, or did Anderson lose it by clowning around?") but this one was certainly more: "Well, Weidman's move/skill is what won the fight." It was Weidman's leg kick that won the fight -- not anything Silva messed up on (apart from maybe not having the strongest leg bone? ;)) 

Nonetheless, Silva's clowning in the 1st fight + the 'freakish leg accident ending the fight'... is certainly enough to keep two asterisks by Weidman's wins (regardless of whether that's fair or not). One could tell that Weidman felt the same -- he seemed dissatisfied in the post-fight interviews. More than anyone, he was hoping to silence the doubters with a decisive win. 

He still has a long career ahead of him, though, and can certainly lay the doubts to rest with an upcoming commanding performance. For instance, if he can TKO or KO Vitor (imagine that!!!), all the doubters would be silenced. 

RyannVonDoom - 
MMALatina -

Its more about what vitor can use in each location... trt use in brazil will give him advantage, and thats why he's been fighting in brazil.

Ahhh, yes -- the TRT issue is what makes the Brazil-venue best. True... Well, I keep reading that Vitor cannot be licensed here (confusing -- why can't he get a TRT exemption as others have?) so it will most likely be in Brazil, unless the Nevada commission agrees to license Vitor... 

MMALatina -
RyannVonDoom - 
MMALatina -

Ahhh, yes -- the TRT issue is what makes the Brazil-venue best. True... Well, I keep reading that Vitor cannot be licensed here (confusing -- why can't he get a TRT exemption as others have?) so it will most likely be in Brazil, unless the Nevada commission agrees to license Vitor... 

He popped positive for roids against dan henderson back in 06. Because of that he cant get trt exemption(spelling). Phone Post 3.0

Better than average.

I expect Chris to say he will not fight him in Brazil nor should he.

Came here to say this, perfect answer to the thread in the first post.

If it is in Brazil, Vitor will be roided to the gills (imo), if it is in the states and Vitor is at normal human being levels I think Chris wins all day.

@Ryann: Ah, did not know about Vitor's testing positive for roids against Hendo. But haven't other fighters also tested positive for roids in past years (e.g., Barnett?? -- btw, no offense to Josh as I'm a huge fan of his) eventually been able to get a license in NV? Or is that you can get a license but NOT a TRT exempton if you tested positive in the past? That would make sense. (e.g., I don't think Josh has a TRT exemption)

@LazerMMA: I agree. Chris has a lot to prove with this fight and should not take chances. The fight should take place in the venue where Vitor will be regulated properly (i.e., the U.S.). Question is: if Vitor can't get licensed here, should Weidman scrap the fight altogether and not do it??? I have a feeling that's what it'll come down to: "The fight can't be here so it's either Brazil or no fight." 

Hey sis!!!!!

Welcome!  It's so nice to have you on board!

Okay, good question.  I would not want to bet on this fight.  Vitor is so damn explosive and looks better every time he fights. Agh...but Weidman keeps surprising people as well and surprised me this last weekend.

I'm not going to overanalyse this one, there are people on here who can do that much better than I, but I say it's 50-50.  This fight could go either way.  

Love ya!!!

And I think this fight should take place on US soil, IMHO.

AceAtGSU -

Came here to say this, perfect answer to the thread in the first post.

If it is in Brazil, Vitor will be roided to the gills (imo), if it is in the states and Vitor is at normal human being levels I think Chris wins all day.
This Phone Post

_