Weigh In Before First Match IBJJF Style Opinions?

What you're opinion on this? What made the IBJJF think this is a good idea all around. I'm not complaining about it. Just wondering what the reasoning behind it is that you think or if someone is in the actual know?

I found this on Grapplers Quest talking about it.

http://www.grapplersquest.com/blogs/briancimins/dangers-cbjj-style-weigh-ins-and-weight-cutting-audio-interview-dr-andy-doe-md

keeps competitors at their natural weight.

adds a little more "fairness" in people's eyes, although my personal opinion is that if you can make the weight of a certain weight class, then you deserve to be there.

Definitely more fair. Guys gaining 25lbs the next day is nuts. I guarantee if they did this in MMA as well you would not see the same guys at the top of their divisions.

And I have no problem if guys want to cut 25lbs and can make a weight class....but then fight at that weight. Thats the point of the weigh ins at the IBJJF.

Agreed. It definitely keeps things on a more level playing field.

Hoss - Definitely more fair. Guys gaining 25lbs the next day is nuts. I guarantee if they did this in MMA as well you would not see the same guys at the top of their divisions.

And I have no problem if guys want to cut 25lbs and can make a weight class....but then fight at that weight. Thats the point of the weigh ins at the IBJJF.

It does make things more fair weight wise but cutting weight for that is brutal.

Then don't cut weight, in no place is it written that you're required to. I don't understand how people think that the style is dangerous, it's the idiot extremists that are.

I fought lightweight my first two years of Jiu Jitsu, and at 5'8" and muscular, 141 in a gi was hell. Couldn't eat/drink before weigh ins, etc. It was dangerous. What did I do? I'm a middleweight now. I wake up, eat a good-sized breakfast, enjoy some water, weigh in a pound or two under, and fight feeling 100x better than I ever did as a lightweight.

cutting weight is a wrestling/boxing tradition.

It got rid of the fucking massive, ridiculous lines to weigh-in the day before

so, win!

Jon Snow - i do wish they would weigh you without the gi though

+1

Hillary - Then don't cut weight, in no place is it written that you're required to. I don't understand how people think that the style is dangerous, it's the idiot extremists that are.

It's not possible to compete in MMA, Wrestling, BJJ or boxing in larger competition without cutting weight if the rules allows it. So you can't afford to not to and give away an advantage. In BJJ it's proven in the open division that smallers guys beat bigger guyes often however I believe when this sport grows and more trains it, it will happen a lot less. Just like in wrestling were it's rare that 150 lbs wrestler defeats a 200 lbs wrestler at a international competition level.

Regarding your example; The competition isn't as hard in the women division as it is in the men division so giving up weight for you will probably mean less than it does for Pablo Popovich. (Before anyone gets offended by this-> I believe the women division will get more competative each year just like the men when numbers of pracitioner increases. It's easier, not easy, to be a worldchampion in a sport with 20 000 practitioners than it is in a sport with 200 000.)

This whole debate is stupid. First of all, let's just agree that same-day weigh-ins are the best way to ensure that fighters are as equal in size/weight during the match.

With regards to cutting weight, it's as simple as this: Each fighter must qualify at a given weight in order to compete. Therefore, every fighter has the option to either: (1) make the effort to cut weight and compete at less than 100%, or (2) weigh in at his/her natural weight and compete at closest to 100% as possible

Those fighters who wish to cut weight obviously place a value on the perceived size/strength advantage. But, they do so at the cost of having less energy, stamina, explosiveness, focus, etc. That much is undisputed.

On the other hand, those fighters who wish to compete feeling their best must accept the fact that they will likely have to compete against people who are naturally heavier.

Like Hillary said, there is no requirement to cut weight (or, to weigh in at your natural weight, for that matter). I agree with those who argue that if someone can cut weight (no matter how much), then he/she deserves to be able to compete at that weight. Obviously, the more extreme the weight cut, the greater affect it will have on the fighter. Some fighters are used to cutting weight and have adapted to competing at a weakened state. But, make no mistake - they are still competing at a weakened state (of course, this really applies more to same-day weigh-ins).

As for me personally, I've competed with and without cutting weight, and have won competitions under both scenarios. I'll never cut weight again. I hated having to focus so much time/energy on losing weight leading up to the competition. At the end of the day, it just wasn't worth it. I felt so much better when I was able to just compete without worrying about my weight. Plus, these competitions are difficult enough - I need all the stamina and energy that I can get.

One final point - obviously, "cutting weight" is relative to each fighter's situation. Some only need to cut a few pounds to drop a weight class, while others (like me) need to cut close to 10 pounds or more.

Now, can we please end this thread?

hakkas - Hillary - Then don't cut weight, in no place is it written that you're required to. I don't understand how people think that the style is dangerous, it's the idiot extremists that are.

It's not possible to compete in MMA, Wrestling, BJJ or boxing in larger competition without cutting weight if the rules allows it. So you can't afford to not to and give away an advantage. In BJJ it's proven in the open division that smallers guys beat bigger guyes often however I believe when this sport grows and more trains it, it will happen a lot less. Just like in wrestling were it's rare that 150 lbs wrestler defeats a 200 lbs wrestler at a international competition level.

Regarding your example; The competition isn't as hard in the women division as it is in the men division so giving up weight for you will probably mean less than it does for Pablo Popovich. (Before anyone gets offended by this-> I believe the women division will get more competative each year just like the men when numbers of pracitioner increases. It's easier, not easy, to be a worldchampion in a sport with 20 000 practitioners than it is in a sport with 200 000.)

I cut 22 pounds in three weeks from 154 to 132 to fight ADCC. I'm aware of the importance of weight cutting, I'm just saying it's not worth it anymore.

There is a difference between dieting to maximum size for a division (which is fairly safe and pretty damn near necessary, as you said) and fighters who sauna seven pounds day of and nearly pass out during their first match.

Making the black belt matches in mundial five minutes longer would probably make cutting less effective. And going for submissions instead of advantages would also be very benificial.

But I would prefer if the weigh in was just before the match starts. Cutting weight is in my opinion pointless for the sport. It's not exciting for the athletes or for spectators and the matches doesn't get more exciting, so why have it?

Hillary - Then don't cut weight, in no place is it written that you're required to. I don't understand how people think that the style is dangerous, it's the idiot extremists that are.

I fought lightweight my first two years of Jiu Jitsu, and at 5'8" and muscular, 141 in a gi was hell. Couldn't eat/drink before weigh ins, etc. It was dangerous. What did I do? I'm a middleweight now. I wake up, eat a good-sized breakfast, enjoy some water, weigh in a pound or two under, and fight feeling 100x better than I ever did as a lightweight.

THIS.

I hate people who cut 30lbs in 2 days and gain 20 back in 24 hrs complaining about how dangerous same day weigh ins are

hakkas - Hillary - Then don't cut weight, in no place is it written that you're required to. I don't understand how people think that the style is dangerous, it's the idiot extremists that are.

Right, it isn't possible if the rules allow it.
THUS, same day weigh ins, or weigh ins at the event.
BINGO, no weight cutting.

I think weigh ins right before your division is called is both the fairest and safest way of doing things. Phone Post

I like same day but not right before the division is called because if you go that far than people who are at the top of the weight class are having to watch their water intake etc to make sure they don't squeak over.

It would likely make running the event much more difficult as well.

Weight cutting is the responsibility of the competitors. If a guy wants to cut a large amount of weight then that's his choice and he shouldn't be bitching about weigh-ins. It can be dangerous only cuz some dumbass wants to sweat out 10+ lbs in day to make a certain weight and that's his problem.

That said, I prefer day before weigh-ins tho.

This rule in boxing would have saved quite a few lives...

The only reason anyone cuts weight is for an advantage right? So, if you are dehydrated to the point where you are saying that it is dangerous, then DONT DO IT, it's not an advantage anymore is it?

Guess what there are a ton of folks on PED's too, if you want to keep up with everyone else your going to have to not only cut weight, but your going to have to hit the vitamins as well.

Also, while your at it, you mihgt want to quit your job and train full-time, the results speak for themselves.

It's never-ending, at some point you have to just come to terms with the fact that if your jiu jitsu is good it should show. The cream rises to the top and the truth comes out on the mat.