Weigh In: Weight Scale Tricks???

"The idea about raising your arms is that the blood will flow out of your arms at the spped of gravity thus making you weight less by the amount of blood in your arms."

What does that even mean?

If anything the act of raising your arms puts extra weight on the scale from the upward thrust of the raising action transferring down through your feet, similar to pushing off for a jump.

If you don't believe it, go stand on a (dial) scale right now and raise your arms. You'll notice the scale weight go up and come back down again quickly.

perhaps someone should try to go on the scale and move his hand up his head, down his head, up his head, down his head, up his head, down his head...

Perhaps if he do it really fast, he will fly a little bit like a bird and wheight 0 pounds...

discuss....

likewise, if you start with your hands above your head and flap downwards, you will notice a momentary decrease in weight. don't believe it, try it.

so, as retarded as jujubre is, there is a slight method to his madness.

It means that if the blood flows down at the rate of gravity, it is in effect, weightless. Try weighing yourself, step off, then raise your arms and wait a second or two before you step on. You should see a small reduction if you are on a very good scale. But like I said, everything has to work right and on top of that, the loss is so small that its realy amounts to nothing.

"It means that if the blood flows down at the rate of gravity, it is in effect, weightless."

Someone free falling out of a plane will be weightless on a scale that's also free falling along with him. But do you really believe that's what happens to blood circulating in arms, especially continuously after a second or two?

your arms would have to be over a mile thick and mostly full of air, then it might work... a little.

Nick, science just doesn't back you up on the "weightless blood" thing. Your circulatory system is a valved pump system,work pretty well maintaining blood flow in a weightless environment.

Yeah for the most part it doesn't work. Thats not to say its completely ineffective. If you keep your arms raised , your fingers will begin to tingle. This happens because they are not recieving blood. So despite being a valve pump system, the blood will flow out of them. Whether its at the speed of gravity, I don't know. I do know that on a good scale, if you do it repeatedly, 1 out of every 10 times or so, you will lose .2-.4 of a lb.

lol

ttt

So if the blood is flowing down, how is that supposed to decrease your weight?

If somebody stood behind you on the scales and started pouring a bucket of water over your head it would make you weigh more. Regardless of what speed the water from the bucket, or the blood in your arms, is falling, it at no point becomes weightless.

""If you don't believe it, go stand on a (dial) scale right now and raise your arms. You'll notice the scale weight go up and come back down again quickly. ""

Yeah I tried it and it was 133# steady state then raised arms , it flashed up to 137# then flashed down to 130# then steadied back to the 133#. Nothing to do with blood flow, it's just the acceleration of your center of gravity. Can't see how this would fool the official doing the weigh-in.

"""It means that if the blood flows down at the rate of gravity, it is in effect, weightless.The idea about raising your arms is that the blood will flow out of your arms at the spped of gravity thus making you weight less by the amount of blood in your arms""""

Gravity isn't a "rate" or a "speed"-it's an acceleration 32.2 ft/sec/sec

There is some profoundly stupid shit in this thread.

bunch o' tards postin' no doubt, then you get a guy like Jove, who tested out what I said and showed I knew what the fuck I was talkin' bout!

Word! :)

I hold my breath and easily lose about 1-2 lbs.

inhale lots and lots of helium. Castillo should have gotten his appendix removed

i like to work up a good erection before going on the scales, the weight is then pushed out onto my penis, and i often lose half a pound or so, as thee weight is out in front of me.

When I remove my nose, I am about .5 of a pound lighter, provided it is done on Tuesday. Not sure why, but try it and see. I do have a big nose, but I don't see why this only works on Tuesday.

'Gravity doesn't change. Whether you have 2 feet on the scale, or 1 finger. in the end, the gravity is all the same.'

Actually, gravity does depend on height relative to sea level. Assumng you're weighing in at a higher altitude (say 1000ft), you would weigh fractionally less (maybe 1 or 2 lbs).

The change in center of gravity won't affect your weight, because that height difference is negligable.

Jay

Go try standing on a scale, then standing on your head for 5 minutes, then hurry back to the scale. You will weigh less. I have seen this done, and work, countless times. Including high school states and Junior National finals.

LOL @ people who never cut weight and talking out their ass like they know.

LOL back in my judo days, we would weigh in and our coach (cheeky bastard) would come and look over our shoulder going "how much does he weigh". As he stood there he would put his fingers under ours and push up, we'd stiffen our arms and wallah, we'd lose a 2 pounds.

Worked most of the time unless they were really strict.