Weight Classes, weight cutting, & WMMA

Connorwinztharematch - 
Captain Canuck -
Connorwinztharematch - 
Captain Canuck -
Connorwinztharematch - 
Captain Canuck -
kaitlinrosie -

Same day weigh ins will probably get someone killed. People are still going to cut, they just won't be fully rehydrated and their brain will suffer the consequences. It sounds good in theory, but would be to their detriment in practice. They've tried to do hydration tests in collegiate wrestling, but even there, people work the system. 

I agree that more weight would help. They 15lb gaps are a bit much. Why the 5lb split at 165 to 170? It's a pretty populated weight range. Maybe 165, 175, 185? Then 200, then 220. Then over is heavyweight with no limit. If you can't cut to 220, then you're probably walking 250 or more, and could fight any weight. Splitting the heavyweights might spread the division too thin. Not sure there are enough to support it. 

There are higher quality women's fights happening in Invicta over the UFC half the time. Fighting makes you ugly, er, uglier than you were when you had less fights. When the UFC gears it's signings to the young and marketable females, they leave out the experienced killers. It makes women's fights look like shit because it is new fighters next to experienced male fighters. Nobody complains about seeing the women with more fights (Valentina, Johanna, Rosie, Amanda, etc.) in the UFC. Understand that it isn't "women fighters" that are the problem.  This deserves a thread all it's own really. 

I think the issue of saying that people are not properly hydrated so we shouldn't do it is a false flag.

It's been shown to work in the ammy divisions and I think there is no more danger with the next day weigh ins then there is now with people who are willing to cut dangerous weights because they know they can re-hydrate.

I also think with the larger pool in the 205/235/265 from overseas it will make the weights more competitive. 

I do think at some point there will need to be more weights between 155 and up. Not sure when that should be though.

However, when you start having them you have to think about people who jump weight all over.

Agreed that Invicta has great fights.

Keep them there until it's for a title or contender status.

Thank for the input.

I Cut 12lbs of water in ammy for same day fights. Doesnt work. 

I think it does.

So do a lot of organizations.

Throwing hands up in the air and giving up on these massive weight cuts isn’t the answer either.

The game day weight ins with a limit there makes these fights closer and more competitive.

It helps. But guys will still cut. Guys at ammy typically dont cut the way pros do because they re not as experienced, and the stakes arent the same. This skews the data. Guys will still do huge cuts. Ive seen it time and time again. 

Its like expecting filthy canucks to not eat their disgusting cheese and gravy  fries because they charge an extra 1.50. 

Guys will always cut weight and there will always be guys trying to get whatever advantage they can get but at some point you have to have something in place to try and stop it, not just say people are going to do it and not do anything about it.

It’s kind of like expecting americans to be eat more healthy when they can just be obese because mobility scooters are widely available.

Most americans cant afford mobility scooters. 

Riding lawn mowers?

:wink:

Captain Canuck -
Connorwinztharematch - 
Captain Canuck -
Connorwinztharematch - 
Captain Canuck -
Connorwinztharematch - 
Captain Canuck -
kaitlinrosie -

Same day weigh ins will probably get someone killed. People are still going to cut, they just won't be fully rehydrated and their brain will suffer the consequences. It sounds good in theory, but would be to their detriment in practice. They've tried to do hydration tests in collegiate wrestling, but even there, people work the system. 

I agree that more weight would help. They 15lb gaps are a bit much. Why the 5lb split at 165 to 170? It's a pretty populated weight range. Maybe 165, 175, 185? Then 200, then 220. Then over is heavyweight with no limit. If you can't cut to 220, then you're probably walking 250 or more, and could fight any weight. Splitting the heavyweights might spread the division too thin. Not sure there are enough to support it. 

There are higher quality women's fights happening in Invicta over the UFC half the time. Fighting makes you ugly, er, uglier than you were when you had less fights. When the UFC gears it's signings to the young and marketable females, they leave out the experienced killers. It makes women's fights look like shit because it is new fighters next to experienced male fighters. Nobody complains about seeing the women with more fights (Valentina, Johanna, Rosie, Amanda, etc.) in the UFC. Understand that it isn't "women fighters" that are the problem.  This deserves a thread all it's own really. 

I think the issue of saying that people are not properly hydrated so we shouldn't do it is a false flag.

It's been shown to work in the ammy divisions and I think there is no more danger with the next day weigh ins then there is now with people who are willing to cut dangerous weights because they know they can re-hydrate.

I also think with the larger pool in the 205/235/265 from overseas it will make the weights more competitive. 

I do think at some point there will need to be more weights between 155 and up. Not sure when that should be though.

However, when you start having them you have to think about people who jump weight all over.

Agreed that Invicta has great fights.

Keep them there until it's for a title or contender status.

Thank for the input.

I Cut 12lbs of water in ammy for same day fights. Doesnt work. 

I think it does.

So do a lot of organizations.

Throwing hands up in the air and giving up on these massive weight cuts isn’t the answer either.

The game day weight ins with a limit there makes these fights closer and more competitive.

It helps. But guys will still cut. Guys at ammy typically dont cut the way pros do because they re not as experienced, and the stakes arent the same. This skews the data. Guys will still do huge cuts. Ive seen it time and time again. 

Its like expecting filthy canucks to not eat their disgusting cheese and gravy  fries because they charge an extra 1.50. 

Guys will always cut weight and there will always be guys trying to get whatever advantage they can get but at some point you have to have something in place to try and stop it, not just say people are going to do it and not do anything about it.

It’s kind of like expecting americans to be eat more healthy when they can just be obese because mobility scooters are widely available.

Most americans cant afford mobility scooters. 

Riding lawn mowers?

:wink:

Folding chairs on casters. 

Vieira and Heinish are two guys who cut too much weight to keep a gas tank.