Weight Cut Question ?

Also, regardless of what your true BF% is, to be 6'2" and weigh 160 pounds, you can't have all that much fat on you.  That's a hell of a frame for a LW.  Unless you have T-Rex arms, I imagine you would have reach advantage against the majority of LWs.  I wish I was that tall, or more accurately I wish my arms were as long as a 6'2" person. 

I played college ball @ Air Force Academy.  In season, I had 5.5% BF so it can be done.  It was measured using the underwater weighing method. 

'

Panic, are you fighting in the "Respect in the Cage" org at the fox theater in Pomona on Saturday?

Sub Phone Post

Dont Tase Me Bro - Panic, are you fighting in the "Respect in the Cage" org at the fox theater in Pomona on Saturday?

I am actually just doing a test run for a grappling tourney. I normally don't cut for this type of thing but it has been 3 years since i have cut weight and i wanted to make sure i could still do it. I intend to fight mma again in march or april so i needed the motivation of the tournament to get me to actually try to make weight (you lose your registration fee if you do not make weight).

I cannot wait to fight fight again soon though. Phone Post

John Harris -  Also, regardless of what your true BF% is, to be 6'2" and weigh 160 pounds, you can't have all that much fat on you.  That's a hell of a frame for a LW.  Unless you have T-Rex arms, I imagine you would have reach advantage against the majority of LWs.  I wish I was that tall, or more accurately I wish my arms were as long as a 6'2" person. 

I played college ball @ Air Force Academy.  In season, I had 5.5% BF so it can be done.  It was measured using the underwater weighing method. 
'

Yeah I used to be angry that i couldnt put on more weight than i have but i have come to like it. I am tall but still have decent strength and i have really fast hands even for lightweight according to my boxing coach (and my kickboxing fights lol).

Oddly, in my first mma fight the guy i fought ended up being the same height as me and then i got to the finals of my first kickboxing tournament and the guy in the finals was my height oo. It is usually and advantage for my bjj, muay thai, and judo styles but sometimes i can get jealous of the advantages of the shorter guys too. :) Phone Post

Figured I'd update this just in case anyone was interested. Official weight was 153.9. Looks like I can still do it.

Good luck and kick some butt. Let us know how you do. Phone Post

bknumber1 - Good luck and kick some butt. Let us know how you do. Phone Post

Did not do so hot. Nerves and rust got the best out of me and the better man won that day.

I went into the gi division and my heart was beating a mile a minute. Was in blue belt division for the gi. Walked in, got a deep over the back grip and went for an uchi matta on a good wrestler without pulling him in and leaving plenty of room. He capitalized and caught me with a very deep rear naked choke.

Went into advanced no gi division and won my first match with a rear naked choke. Still felt weird, like it was a surreal dream.

Next match I ended up rematching the guy who beat me in gi.We went all 7 minutes to a decision. He caught me for 3 of those minutes in a rear naked choke which I managed to escape. I think he also attempted another choke from side mount which I got out of. I caught him in a deep guillotine and a triangle which he escaped and attempted a heel hook. He dominated me positionally though I did manage to pass his guard and pull out a sweep.

My conclusion is that I need more competitions to get my competition mindset back but the better man beat me that day. I saw some things I really need to work on and now realize that I am definitely not ready for a return to a true mma fight until I can get my nerves back in check/

As long as you get better each time, it is worth it! Good job and good luck on the next one. Phone Post