Weight loss and BJJ

Have any of you ever lost (or put on) a substantial amount of weight during your BJJ career? I don't mean 15-20 pounds. I'm talking 50-100 pounds.

If so, here is my question. Overall, are you a better BJJ player at your lighter or heavier weight?

I have...at my highest weight that I saw on the scale was 287lbs..however...i would not doubt i was over 300 at some point...I just didn't see a point of weighing myself. I have competed at 181 with the gi, so nogi at 176. I feel that my game is tremendously better, and a thing that helps is that i understand what the bigger guy is trying to do. Before I was a buffalo, now I'm constantly searching for the submissions... I love armbars

a thing that helps is that i understand what the bigger guy is trying to do.

Not have a heart attack and die ?

I prefer to go against heavier guys because they are typically slower and less flexible

I was faster at the lower weight. I'm more stable and not as easy to shove off anymore, but it's still a problem.

Ilovearmbars - I have...at my highest weight that I saw on the scale was 287lbs..however...i would not doubt i was over 300 at some point...I just didn't see a point of weighing myself. I have competed at 181 with the gi, so nogi at 176. I feel that my game is tremendously better, and a thing that helps is that i understand what the bigger guy is trying to do. Before I was a buffalo, now I'm constantly searching for the submissions... I love armbars

I can vouch for this guy he has made a "biggest loser" style transformation stricktly due to Bjj, and is now a fierce competitor on our local scene.

I have dropped from 407 to 314 in a little over a year. I did not change my diet which is why I am still over 300 in the past month I have changed the diet.
Lighter weight is better for speed and flexibility. But sometimes the size does work for you.top half guard you can put a bunch of pressure. Knee on chest, side mount ,& mount. Big guys with good balance have great top games.

jesus christ dude havin you in knee on belly top wouldnt be hell

Thats right joshjitsu... screw Jarred and his subway sandwiches...try brazilian jiu-jitsu instead.

Started bjj at 215 and last competed in the 150's. Really cant tell you what or how much it has done for my game. Like others have said, you're a fat noob when you start. As you drop the weight you also gain mat time/experience and knowledge. Hard to tell which one is helping your game more. I'm sure it has helped with cardio and ability to transition quicker. At the same I feel I've lost some strength.