Weight management?

I walk around at approximately 160lbs. I feel very healthy at my current weight whether it be in the gym lifting or rolling at the academy.

However, here's my dilemma...The Pan American is fastly approaching; the wrestler in me tells me start a strict dietary rigimen eliminating all simple carbs among other non essentials; cut weight down to 152 w/gi, yet, the more practical side tells me to maintain my present weight and training regimen and weigh in w/gi to make the 167 lb. class.

For some reason I feel like I really have an objective; that I'm training for something monumental when I go into the diet thing and weight loss routine, yet, when I did go into the wrestler-mode last year I didn't feel any faster, stronger, or more athletic at the PA. Not certain which approach I should take. I really feel I should concentrate on my technique and overall health, worrying less about the weight factors concentrating more on the enjoyment and competition of the GAMES.

I'd really appreciate some SERIOUS constructive input...Thanks for the help FOLKS.

I always was miserable when I cut weight.

"I really feel I should concentrate on my technique and overall health, worrying less about the weight focusing more on the enjoyment and competition of the GAMES."

I think that about sums it up.

Do what you like. Like what you do. Have fun.

TAKU

Thank fellas and appreciate the summation TAKU.

Dude, on a coach's perspective, I'd say being the heaviest in your weight class has it's advantages.

On the "Scrapper" perspective, I'd say being the fittest and baddest at whatever weight you weigh in at is the way to go.

Having competed in the PanAms and several other tournaments, I can tell you that worrying about "weight" can definitely screw all kinds of stuff up. Concern leads to FEAR, and FEAR leads to hesitation, which is an opening for your opponent.

Work towards maintaining your highest level of conditioning for the match, while at the same time thinking "what would I do if I wasn't afraid?"

Make that into a mantra for yourself while envisioning what, EXACTLY, you're going to do.

Take him down, get the mount, and get the win, OR, get him into your guard, setup, armbar.

That's what I said to myself (more or less...because there were strikes involved when I was taught this mental rehearsal) and that's pretty much what happened (I took him down, got the mount, and rained punches till the ref stopped it).

Go through all the possible scenarios you can think of BEFORE the match, and then be OK with them. That will be crucial. If you win, sweet. If you lose, sweet. It's an experience either way and a great way to learn for your next competition.

So, the guy is bigger and stronger than you are. You've already thought of what he can do and what you'll do to overcome it.

Maybe he's smaller and faster than you. You've already thought of what he can do and what you'll do to overcome it.

Either way, the key is to step foot on the mat relaxed and ready to make things happen YOUR way. Your opponent will make plenty of mistakes, just wait for them to happen and then capitalize on them.

Oh wait...were you asking about making weight? ;)

Good luck bro,

SCRAP

Oh wait...were you asking about making weight? ;)

ROFLOL...Iknow exactly what you mean.