Weight Training and cutting weight

Does weight training affect weight loss. I do reps of 17-25 at a light weight and diet hard and crazy cardio but I still can't get down anymore. I use to be 250 and now I am 180. I want to get down to 160 and maintain it, but I love weight training as well. Please Help me UnderGround Forum. Thanx

May need some more info... what is your current diet like? How long have you been cutting/dieting?

what is magic about 160? Is that your fight weight or just a goal weight? Do you have a guess of your bodyfat %?

Age/Height?

If you want to lean down, you have to do cardio after you have already done something intensive, like circuit training. Doing cardio immediately when you wake up takes energy directly from fat reserves, especially low intensity cardio like biking, swimming, and walking fast.

Stop eating 2 hours before bed and cut the carbs out of your last meal.

17-25 reps? how long do your work outs take?

ttt

look up HST

Weight is a game of lbs.

Fat is a game of inches.

right now i am doing sprints/circuit training in the morning. eight 40 second sprints with 20 second rests and 10 minute brisk jog before and after. i alternate the days of sprinting with days of circuit training. ie 1 min burpees, 1 minute bench jumps, 1 minute pushups, 1 minute lunges, 1 minute bicycle crunches and then 1 minute rest, i do about 4-5 rounds of this.

i also do heavy lifting at night. 8-6-4 reps with heavier weight increments. i might jog briskly for 10 minutes before and after as well.

i do this about 5-6 nights a week. been doin it about a month. my weight is staying about the same @ 185. my pants are also looser and shirts a lil tighter. i am hoping to get better muscle defination...lose this lil spare tire while building muscle mass. you guys think this will work? i drink protien shakes after each work out also.

ttt

From: Millhouse340: "To determine your Maximum HR. The simple formula: Take 220 and minus your age which is accurate to approximately +15 BPM. You then take that number and multiply it by .75 - .85, which will give you your percentages of 75% -- 85% of your Max. HR. This is the Target Range or Zone that you want to stay in when doing any type of cardiovascular (aerobic) activity. When in this range your body is getting an optimum workout with maximum benefit, and it stays in a Fat Burning mode."

This is good info... I have been trying to figure this out.

Do you really need to maintain a certain heart level to burn fat... or will you burn more fat by running harder even though it increases your heart rate above these "fat burning" levels? Sometimes I feel like I'm not working hard enough when I stay in the "fat burning" levels... and I want to push it harder. When I do this am I only improving my cardio conditioning and not really burning as much fat?

"Stop eating 2 hours before bed"

^ That is BAD advice. Eat before you go to bed! You need to keep your metabolism up so your body will burn fat as you sleep and so you won't have as much trouble kicking your metabolism back into gear in the morning. The best food to eat prior to bed is cottage cheese. Seriously though, this site isn't the best to ask for this advice... go to bodybuilding.com, they have a shitload of information on their forums.

As for your question, it depends on your height, age and body fat percentage.

Warfrog, what are you training for? Just to be healthy or are you going to fight again?

Look at your diet. Need to load up on Baked chicken with a nice salad. Munch on fruits all day and consume extra protein. And lets not forget to drink at least over a gallon of water a day.

Stay away from sugar and anything that has sodium.

The Calf Cruncher

james! how you doin buddy? i am trying to lower my body fat and create muscle mass, or at least keep some that i have. i am doin this just for me, trying to look better for the beach and all that.

i do plan on moving back to iowa next year and i may pursue fighting again. but for now fighting isnt an option as i am not sparring anywhere.

"PS Working out with high reps gives you the quickest resaults do to the nature of endurance hypertrophy vs strength building hypertrophy, but the results are also the fastest to dissapear once the workouts end. "

Actually I have found the opposite to be true. If I quit lifting, I lose muscle rapidly and the amount of weight I can move goes down as well. If I get my calisthenics up really high and then quit, I keep the muscle longer and can do a similar amount after a long period away from the gym.

PS I am not against eating tuna or cottage cheese before bed, just don't eat a big meal 2 hrs before bed.

boxer155,

First of all, great job and congratulations on dropping from 250 to 180.  That's a helluva lot of weight/fat loss.  Keep up the good work.

Now, about those last 20 lbs....

By looking at your userid, I assume you want to fight at 155?  That would make for a good reason to get down to 160.  If not, then why are you trying to drop the last 20 lbs?

Are you doing much fight training now?  The more fight training you're doing, the less you'll be able to do strength and/or conditioning work (your body can only handle so much overall workload/volume, and only has so much in the way of recovery abilities).  That will effect how you design your S&C program.

Also, what is your current body composition like?  In other words, what is your bodyfat percentage?  If you're down in th single digit for bodyfat, then losing the weight is gonna result in losing muscle.  However, if you still have a little bit of a gut, then you can lose most of that weight via fat loss.

How long do you have to lose the weight?

With all that said, here are some things that you can use in designing a program:

-Drop the high reps.  Sets of low to medium reps (5-8) are a much better option.  When losing weight, your body will want to burn muscle, and strength is easily lost.  Muscle mass and strength will be kept using heavier weights and lower weights.

-Do full body workouts comprised of compound movements.  This will teach your body to work as an entire unit (instead of just a compilation of bodyparts) and the lower body/full body movements tend to result increase levels of testosterone.

-Conditioning can be done via circuits/complexes (a la Javorek or Team Quest), interval training (a la Taku's Intervals), or LSD.  The complexes and interval training are better for burning fat and keeping your metabolism raised for quite a long time after your workout.  LSD (long slow distance) burns more calories during the workout, the metabolism goes back to normal pretty quick.  With interval training, you burn more calories in total (during and after the workout).  Complexes usually work very similar in nature to interval training.  Interval training is better to do overall, but much more demanding on the nervous system.  Intervals should be the focus of your conditioning, but adding in some light LSD can be good for active recovery and increasing work capacity.

-Combining all the above can be done a variety of ways - none of which is necessarily "right" or "wrong."  I've got some examples at my site:  MMA Workout

-As far as diet goes, it's all about calories in vs. calories out.  If your burn more calories than you take in, you'll lose weight.  Keep protein intake medium to high, fats coming from EFAs, and plenty of greens.

More info about your specific situation will help in us being able to give more information...

Wiggy - Workout Programs

Zone diet combined high intensity workouts will reduce fat, though you may gain muscle. Check out rossboxing.com, crossfit.com, gymjones.com for ideas of high intensity workouts.

ttt

im pretty sure calories determine weight.