Wendler 5/3/1

Anyone here used/tried it? I was thinking of trying it but doing it just 2x per week like he talks about here (modification #2):
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/531_reloaded

Thoughts?

And could a bluer hook a brotha up and post the link for ease of reference?

Thanks Phone Post

We've been doing Wendler at my gym for quite a while now. We work it into our programming one time per week and focus on one lift for about four cycles before moving to a different lift. We have seen big improvements in our students. First we did back squat and then deadlift. Certainly some gains can be attributed to practice and neurological response in our newer students, but advanced students have shown gains, as well.

531 Reloaded

Well Wendler doesn't fuck up.

Section in KOArtist is referring to:

Modification #2: I'm a busy guy and hitting the gym four times a week is tough. Any lower frequency ideas that still yield gains?

"I get this a lot, and I have a kick-ass answer. Move everything to two times a week and do the following:

Week 1:

Monday: Squats 5/3/1, leg press 5 x 10, stiff leg deads 5 x 10, abs

Thursday: Bench press 5/3/1, dumbbell press 5 x 10, dumbbell row 5 x 10, biceps curls (yes, curls).

Include three days of hard conditioning (hill sprints) on nonconsecutive days.

Week 2:

Monday: Deadlift 5/3/1, safety bar squat 5 x 10, good mornings 5 x 10, abs

Thursday: Overhead press 5/3/1, chin-ups 5 x 10, dips 5 x 10, biceps curls (no, the joke isn't on you, biceps curls).

Include three days of hard conditioning (hill sprints) on nonconsecutive days.

That's it.

I've advised a lot of busy guys to follow this routine and virtually all got bigger, stronger, and in better shape faster -- and for longer -- because there's so much less potential for burnout."

With the reduced frequency, Wendler says there's no need to deload, and each training cycle now goes six weeks instead of the usual four.

And for those guys who think that this sounds like their mama's split, Wendler says look out.

"The 5 x 10 assistance work is no joke, if you hit it hard. It's definitely not a pussy split -- in fact, it could be the best variation of all.

Following this split is the reason I decided recently to do another meet."

Twice a week of lifting: Are you sure that's enough volume?

"I think most guys -- even guys with all kinds of time to train -- would be better off stripping down their volume and stepping up their conditioning," says Wendler.

"Something almost magical happens to the body when you get in great condition. You look better, feel better, and you perform better.

This is essentially what we did when I played football and I seem to recall that everyone on the team was in shape."

So, obviously, it's pretty solid. I use a slightly diff rep system now so I can lift a little heavier since it's only 2x a week but I've been using something similar. I still every now and then do some heavy lifting or crazy volume shit just to keep myself sane. Like last week I did 10x10 preacher curls and skull crushers. I don't think I've done that since high school, but training lifting heavy just twice a week gives me a ton of flexibility as far as auto-regulation.

For myself I don't do any planned accessory work (now) because I'm doing a stupid amount of volume on a bunch of other body-weight exercises, running, and swimming in addition to muay thai and mma.

-Friday-
Warm-Up: prehab, activation, mobility, foam roller
Clean Variation
Squat (531 + WidowMaker) + Neck Harness
Bench (531) + 1 Arm Rows

-Sunday-
Warm-Up: prehab, activation, mobility, foam roller
Snatch Variation
Deadlift (531) + Neck Harness
Overhead Press (531) + Rows

A few training cycles from now I'll do a more aggressive lifting plan but for now this is actually helping quite a bit and I don't see a plateau coming any time soon so I'll probably stick with this for quite some time till I feel iffy.

A great program.

I have made good gains using this, under leighs advice.

I highly suggest buying his book. Its only $25.00, or $20.00 for the e-book.

Its a quick read but very informative, and you can always refer back to it. Plus Wendler is cool as fuck and you can help support him by purchasing it.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=3206

Fantastic program. 

Wendler is the man. Very smart, to the point and hilarious. Everyone should check out his power clean video for a laugh if you haven't seen it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqdy3sOan6w

great and very simple programing

LOL!

The 531 Reloaded program looks like something I'd like to try. I don't have much time to get to the gym, so strength training twice a week, with 3 sprint days looks pretty good.

Having some trouble structuring the days though. If the sprint days can't be on 3 consecutive days, plus the 2 strength days, plus I like to do 2 LSD sessions a week...and try to have 1 day completely off

Just not enough days in the week. Unless I do everything over 8 days. Just have always liked having Sundays off to do nothing!

What do you think is the best way to structure the days?

That's actually a whole lot of goodness.

Seriously. I really like this break down.

Neo, that's a good variation too.

Ever since trying Somner's steady state for gymnastics training, I've kind of been curious about trying something similar with weights, and this kind of reminds me of that. I'm going to have to toy with this idea now.

I just made a spreadsheet to plug your 1rm's into, and it'll spit back weights for each set of the 5/3/1. I think I'll give it a whirl when I get back from the Caribbean.

If you follow this link, you'll see the first two things listed on our website are Wendler spreadsheets -- we made Excel sheets for our students to easily calculate the progression.  All you do is enter your 1RM and it does the rest for you.

www.crossfitla.com/cms/index.php/Resources/category/downloads_lists_forms_journals_etc/

Just brace yourself, because it is a CrossFit site. ;)

Get your cult nonsense off this thread, please! :p

lmao at that Power Clean!!!

^^ I saw a dude doing a "power clean" with 135 today at the gym today. It was atrocious. I NEVER talk to people at the gym, but I actually had to hold back going and talking to this guy about form. It was that bad.

On a side note, I'm out of my garage gym for the winter and back to commercial. They replaced their db's. They used to go to 120 lbs and now only go to 100 lbs. :( WTF! Seriously... 100 lbs db's? I'm not even that strong (my bench, shoulder press, and squat SUCK), and that is laughable for me.

The Rugged Ideal - 

On a side note, I'm out of my garage gym for the winter and back to commercial. They replaced their db's. They used to go to 120 lbs and now only go to 100 lbs. :( WTF! Seriously... 100 lbs db's? I'm not even that strong (my bench, shoulder press, and squat SUCK), and that is laughable for me.

It's sad, but I get it. You'd be amazed at some of the folks who attempt to exercise with the really heavy dumbbells, but really have no business even picking them up, much less exercising with them.

I've been using it for about 4 months now and I love it. Highly recommend it.