Went to a Wrestling Clinic Today

It was great. Being from a BJJ background, I have to admit that it was tough to remember not to go on your back. I also learned that I already have pretty good wrestling takedowns. I sparred with two former NYU wrestlers, as well as a Turkish national team judo instructor and held my own. Of course, I outweighed all of them by at least 15 lbs. but STILL. :) Now I know why wrestlers are so strong. It's so fast-paced and intense. I can't wait to go again.

was this an invite clinic or open to anyone? just curious. most wrestling
clinics i've seen are invite or team only.

Invite. I just got presented a middle school (and now possibly high school as well) wrestling coach position based upon my BJJ background but I insisted I'm not qualified for the job because I'm clueless when it comes to rules and terminology. Nonetheless, they've been hounding me for a year; probably due to a lack of guys wanting to do it (?). Like I said, I was rather pleased with myself. Going into it I though I would be constantly taken down at will. I was able to maintain a comfortable distance and when I was in an "attacking zone" I was able to set up some great takedowns as well as defend/counter attack. At one point when trying to roll a guy over onto his back (he layed belly down) I almost sank in a rear naked choke. I had to stop myself. lol

Thanks, nowaydo and TakeYouDown. I hope I do okay as a coach. It's definitely a lot of pressure.. and the season hasn't even started yet!

"You were offered a position as a wrestling coach with no wrestling experience? Where is this?"

Yeah, I did. That's why I was really hesitant to do it for about a year. I thought it was odd myself. The bottom line is that I don't want to look like a fool. Here I am just doing BJJ and Muay Thai for fun all these years and now all of a sudden I have to teach kids that I was teaching BJJ to for the last two years FOLKSTYLE WRESTLING. Even they are like "WTF?!" lol

The executive director of this organization called 'Beat the Streets' (I think they may have a website)insisted that "most wrestling coaches with a lot of experience aren't good teachers - just great wrestlers." I'm a physical education teacher in Brooklyn. One of my buddies that coaches a high school wrestling team in Brooklyn threw out my name to him and the rest is history.