Went to San Diego Zoo. My thoughts on Great Apes.

So I went to the San Diego Zoo today, which was rather impressive, however my rant today won't be touching that subject. My rant has to do with the Subhuman Morlocks known as the Great Apes, more specifically Gorillas and Bonobos(Orangutans are kewl!).

Imagine walking through the jungles of Africa hundreds of years ago. You and your machete wielding companions have thus far encountered some cats and other strictly animal looking animals. All of a sudden, a human looking creature, so close in looks to humanity, yet wild and subhuman to the degree that it strikes fear in your heart, walks by.

What would you do? I'd do what any rational man would do. I would eradicate the jungle of these evil beasts! Their facial expressions, their looks, they are subhuman monsters that must be killed!

Now that we live in modern times, preserving them is obviously important, but I can completely understand why people killed these things hundreds of years ago. It must have been similar way back when Humans and Neanderthals first encountered each other. Some things that are so close, yet so different, can certainly encite fear in the heart.

Looking at the Gorillas and Bonobos certainly gave me this impression, while also thinking how fucked up it is that we have them in cages on exhibit. It reminded me of the Star Trek episode where Kirk was put in a zoo by the aliens.

Alright, I'll stop ranting now. Cheers!

lol

Orangutans really are the coolest, just look at this guy.

ttt

and yeah, seeing that giant male orangutan was amazing. those things are a sight to behold.

Did you see the tiger? Fucker hides sometimes, but he walked out in front of us when I went this past summer

It was breathtaking and a little bit terrifying

dizz - Did you see the tiger? Fucker hides sometimes, but he walked out in front of us when I went this past summer

It was breathtaking and a little bit terrifying

Yeah, he was passing by the glass. I'm not sure if that's because he's bored as shit and going crazy or what.

As far as the Zoo goes, I felt like they had far too many birds, and some animals had huge cages, while some that should have had big cages had small ones. Examples being all of the wild cats. The two lions had a tiny cage.

However, it literally takes one all day to see everything there. I was there for 5 hours, and still didn't see the Koala or the Polar bears.

Wish we had a big zoo like that in boston.
Some kind of ape got loose a few years ago and ran all over the streets of what I think is a pretty bad part of town.
Iirc they caught him and he's still there today. Phone Post 3.0

jake11 - Wish we had a big zoo like that in boston.
Some kind of ape got loose a few years ago and ran all over the streets of what I think is a pretty bad part of town.
I was thinking about going to The Franklin Park Zoo or Stone Zoo. How big are they? Phone Post 3.0

RSHONE05 - 
I was thinking about going to The Franklin Park Zoo or Stone Zoo. How big are they? Phone Post 3.0

Southwicks and Roger Williams are the best zoos in New England, imo.

I can understand your primal fear of primates. But to not enjoy the sheer beauty of them or the strength and almost human qualities that many gorillas and chimps exhibit just is mind boggling. I don't completely agree with the keeping animals in zoo's but they have done wonderful things to assist many animals.

can someone please assist with this pic,

http://www.reverbnation.com/fan/clydedorangutan

shootfighterbull -
RSHONE05 - 

Southwicks and Roger Williams are the best zoos in New England, imo.
Where are those 2? Phone Post 3.0

They are about to take over the world!

Zoos and places like them are the only sanctuary for the great apes unfortuately . Mountain gorillas in the wild have a tiny population. I think around 500. Orangs are being encroached on big time as well.

Overall they are pretty harmless to humans. Gentle and just want to be left the fuck alone

The first white man to lay eyes on them in the wild had huge balls and would go into the interior further than alone at the time and was ver conflicted after he killed them and likened it to murder.

The lack of protection the world offers some of these creatures is a isn't black eye on the human race IMO. More so than pretty much any other environmental type issue. Poor gorillas also happen to live in some of the most volatile and poor areas in the world

There is a big silverback at the SD zoo named Paul Donn. The dude is awesome. I watched him for as long as I was able when I visited. I get angered when little kids and sometimes adults bang on the glass and overall act like retards. Even though the gorillas Obviosuly don't speak the language I think they should be observed with a level of respect.

Zoos I think are a great litmus test to identify shitty parents. To me anyway

How fucking miserable. 100 degrees walking up and down those shitty hills? Not seeing any fucking animals because is so fucking hot that they are all in their caves?

Shoulda went to seaworld.

The zoo is for retards.

The San Diego zoo is awesome!

I went there two years ago. A bird worked its way through the fence in one of the littler monkey cages. This one fucker was going bonkers trying to catch it. It was awesome to see him swinging around like crazy.

The big ass gorillas are awesome too.

Op's trying to be a white knight for the Great Apes. I love the zoo, it gives me a chance to look at stuff that would probably kill me. Phone Post 3.0

Went to SD zoo many years ago it was awesome. About as natural as enviornment as you could get with the apes basically on an island surronded by a mote [and fence].

ttt

mongrel 911 - I can understand your primal fear of primates. But to not enjoy the sheer beauty of them or the strength and almost human qualities that many gorillas and chimps exhibit just is mind boggling. I don't completely agree with the keeping animals in zoo's but they have done wonderful things to assist many animals.

can someone please assist with this pic,

http://www.reverbnation.com/fan/clydedorangutan