Werdum done with UFC, wants Fedor rematch

jgiveshead - 

Weird.  Digging deep into my non-existent creative writing skills... my only guess is that Chechen warlord guy wants to pay big money for the rematch.  Is there any other reason for him to leave the UFC and push for such a strange rematch?  Bizarre.  I wonder if he's thinking "I only have one more fight left..."

I like the way you think. Makes some sense actually. Maybe that guy brings in Werdum to beat Fedor again as a favor to Aleks

Jalen86 -

Naw .... Why want someone he already beat? ... If I had to guess: I bet he wants Mir ... With a victory, it certifies him as the unquestionable GOAT of his era .... 

He wants to get paid. Had to sit out 2 years and doesnt have much time left. It's not about legacy at this point, it's about financial security. A fight against Mir vs Fedor in Russia? Which do you think is going to draw more money?

1 Like

If Aleks didn’t just lose to a middleweight, that could have been easy money again.

He can probably make good money in Russia being the guy who dethroned Fedor. That fight was seen on free Russian TV. The whole country saw Werdum beat the Last Emperor. There’s a big payday there.

After Werdum beats Fedor again, maybe he could fight Minakov in Fight Nights or Bellator. Every name brand HW who isn’t in the UFC is in Bellator, so he’s going to eventually have to do that if he’s really serious about leaving the UFC and not just using this as a negotiating tactic

The Immortal One -
Liyon - You'd think he would want to get a shot at Stipe.

He did for a long time, but he lost to overeem again

Close fight, he could finished the Reem, and then he f*cked up his chances losing stupidly to Volkov. That was the last time he was close to a title shot, he was ranked yesterday at 14 in the division (and honestly can't see how Reem is still so high). 

Even if the odds were highly in favor of Fedor winning the rematch, I would MUCH rather see Werdum vs Mir

It's a damn shame we never got to see that in the 2010's era.

2 Likes
BringBackHeadbutts -

Even if the odds were highly in favor of Fedor winning the rematch, I would MUCH rather see Werdum vs Mir

Anyone betting on Bellator fights at this point is being fooled. You never know which fight they choose to fix next.

Liet -
The Immortal One -
Liyon - You'd think he would want to get a shot at Stipe.

He did for a long time, but he lost to overeem again

Close fight, he could finished the Reem, and then he f*cked up his chances losing stupidly to Volkov. That was the last time he was close to a title shot, he was ranked yesterday at 14 in the division (and honestly can't see how Reem is still so high). 

Yep and he was doing well against Volkov too before the late finish.

The Immortal One - 
BringBackHeadbutts -

Anyone betting on Bellator fights at this point is being fooled. You never know which fight they choose to fix next.

We agree on this. Any time an old guy with a big name is fighting in Bellator, it looks like an MMA match from professional wrestling

1 Like
Jalen86 -

Naw .... Why want someone he already beat? ... If I had to guess: I bet he wants Mir ... With a victory, it certifies him as the unquestionable GOAT of his era .... 

Stipe might have something to say regarding your GOAT take, but I see where you're coming from.

Bobby Lupo -
The Immortal One - 
BringBackHeadbutts -

We agree on this. Any time an old guy with a big name is fighting in Bellator, it looks like an MMA match from professional wrestling

Absolutely. We can and will always agree on this.