What are the 20 top Submissions

Hey all you MMA & NHB fighters out there. I met with Dennis Halman last year in July at the Art of War in Montana and he mentioned to me that there are only about 16-20 basic submissions that a fighter needs to get good with, so if you please can you list those 16-20 submissions that he may be talking about.I do know most of them, but I am curious as to what you all may come up with, and please be serious.Plus what submission books out there do you feel could help students study better from.

Ok lets see here

Guilitine choke,
Rear naked choke,
Triangle choke,
head and arm choke,
armlock (from guard, mount, side, etc.),
kimura of all types,
Americana,
achillies lock,
heel hook,
knee bar,
toe hold,
omoplata,

Well, that's only 12 unless you count all the types
of armlocks and kimuras.

First you need to develop good defense, then good positional escapes, then good positions(guard, sidemount, mount, etc), then once you know that, sure there are only about 20 subs you need ;)

It's really not the actual submissions...it's mastering good setups. Unless your setups are awesome, you aren't gonna sub anyone, they'll see it coming a MILE away.

that's what I was trying to get at. There is more to it than just the submissions.

Marco is the man

Marco Macera is one of the most talented grapplers I have ever seen

up late tonight kyle

ttt

ttt

ttt

thanks guys. Kbreezy, that must mean you don't get out much ;)

kyle do you guys train on monday night?

thumb choke

From another thread:

1. armbar
2. reverse armbar

3. entangled armbar

4. kimura/hammerlock/reverse figure four

5. keylock/americana/paintbrush

6. omaplata

7. triangle

8. sidechoke

9. can opener

10. RNC

11. guillotine

12. achilles hold

13. heelhook

14. toehold

15. kneebar

16. forearm choke

17. crucifix neck crank

18. reverse heelhook

19. bicep crush

20. calf crush

Arm bar Hammerlock Kimura Straight arm bar from side mount uma plata rear naked choke achilles lock Toe hold Heel hook Knee bar Leg triangle Arm triangle Gulliotine Can opener I cant think of anything else right now....

arm bar from guard americanna (side control) kimura (guard / side control) triangle amrbar from mount full/half guillotine rear naked choke knee bar (variations) ankle locks (heel hook)

all your arm bars and chokes win most your fights. then to your knees and ankles. just gotta feel your way. position over submission, and the more you get tapped, the better u get.

Guilitine choke, Rear naked choke, Triangle choke, head and arm choke, armlock (from guard, mount, side, etc.), kimura of all types, Americana, achillies lock, heel hook, knee bar, toe hold, omoplata, It's really not the actual submissions...it's mastering good setups. Unless your setups are awesome, you aren't gonna sub anyone, they'll see it coming a MILE away.

It's really not the actual submissions...it's mastering good setups. Unless your setups are awesome, you aren't gonna sub anyone, they'll see it coming a MILE away.

no we dont train on Monday nights.

We train Tuesday morning, Tuesday night, Thursday morning and night, Friday morning, Saturday, and Sunday night.

The schedule is all jacked up right now, but it is getting worked out soon enough.

and for being only 22 or 23 whatever you are, you are seriously talented. Those big name guys you hear about now, Ill bet you will be on their level by the time you hit your "prime". I guess that would be around 28 or so.

postioning first subs are almost useless without it

i sleep on monday nights

Gabe, are you going to take that job you were offered over the summer in Cali? John Dixson also mentioned you might be moving to Miami? any truth to that?

Thanks kyle. I wish you guys trained mondays. With school and work the only time I get to the gym is thurs and fri. Monday is the only other day i can fit anything in. I think mondays is going to be my Tae Bo night.