WHAT ARE YOU SACRIFICING?

I have the book "Your Head in the Tiger's Mouth" by Ramesh Balsekar in a handy reading location and I came across a coversation about sacrifice.

I know that a lot of people on here make the distinction that God is seperate from me, or I AM, but Ramesh does not. According to mystics, God is what you are.

Anyway, if God is the creator of all things, what are you sacrificing to Him that isn't already His? If, in the background, everything is already His, do you think that your acknowledgement means something?

What are you giving up that isn't yours to begin with?

This is just something that's been bugging me for a few days....

Scrapper, basically in the Christian faith we would agree. Everything already belongs to God. Yet many of us whine and complain about having to give 10% of what already is God's back to Him. yet we have no problem spending our money at restraunts,golf courses, movie theaters, mma pay per views :)

What can I really give God? I give God my life in servitude. I give Him my life is love for Him and my fellow man

"What are you giving up that isn't yours to begin with?"

The free will choice to have a relationship with him and to seek him out in every situation in our lives. Most do not nor care to acknowelge God at all. I believe God also distinguishes praises as a sacrafice aswell since it cant be forced???

Good question

"Yet many of us whine and complain about having to give 10% of what already is God's back to Him. yet we have no problem spending our money at restraunts,golf courses, movie theaters, mma pay per views :)"

But why does giving back to God equate to giving money to the pastor???? This is a question told me by my mother when I took her to her first pentacostal service in which the pastor preached on giving finacially, had a guest speaker (who is seen on TBN all the time) who also delivered a message on giving finacially while calling on people to give FOUR different times during this one service (two to the guest and his ministry and two for the home church who was constructing a new building which costs somewhere in the millions from what Ive heard (i probably heard wrong). Also this was not in a great area of the city and many who attend that church would be considered below middle class.

Her question is if when we give to the poor were giving to Jesus or when we feed the hungry we feed Jesus why do we need to to give 10% of our income to a man in a nice suite.

Have you been asked this before Sherm

Her question is if when we give to the poor were giving to Jesus or when we feed the hungry we feed Jesus why do we need to to give 10% of our income to a man in a nice suite.

first...thanks for the compliment on my suits :)

secondly, my salary does not come from the tith from my church. I am paid by the denom....trust me I'd bet everybody here makes more then I do. The tith from the congregation goes to missions we support, a local homeless shelter and food distribution center, outreach programs, heating  and maintenence of the church,etc.

I wasnt really talking towards you personally, just have you come across this type of question.

I think that a sacrifice is done whenever a person choses to be altruist instead of selfish.

It is about the value you give to things or people.

yes slysir, I have heard the question before. And to be honest when it comes to most television preachers I would agree with her. Now there are some good ones...who do good works. James Robson comes to my mind...and of course Billy Graham.

"Now there are some good ones...who do good works."

I know Sherm and just by your nature and sincerety on this board im sure your one of them also. Its just hard for me to grasp the idea that giving 10% (which is an Old Testament standard some Christians would say)of your finances to the pastor is equated to giving to God.

Sorry if you think I was putting you on the spot, ive just been re-evaluating my own walk and many areas of this walk (and practices) are really coming up short.

Sorry Scrapper for ruining your thread, i really should have started a different thread.

Scrapper,

the book of Romans says "give your body as a living sacrifice holy and acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service of worship"

I tried that, and it was too hard so I just thought I could sing some songs instead.

:)

the rev

Just have to say, the title of this thread makes me think think of The Onion's "statshots." Unfortunately it wasn't as funny.

(Inside j. for readers of The Onion).

Prof.

are you willing to sacrifice your bong?...hippie