What are your favorite 5 movie directors?

I'll start us off

1. Martin Scorsese- best gangster movies of all time and consistently makes classics and is very original. ( Departed, Goodfellas)
2. Quentin Tarnitino- makes some of the coolest movies ever made and also an amazing writer. ( Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown)
3. Wes Anderson- one of the most creative directors in modern time, his work is intricate and makes amazing movies. (Rushmore, Grand Budapest Hotel)
4. Cohen Bros.- very diverse filmography with unlimited creative ideas. With Classics ranging from the 80s till today they deserve more praise then they are given. (Fargo, No Country For Old Men)
5. Steven Spielberg - no list is complete without Spieljew. With some of the most influential movies ever made, he has solidified him self as one of the best of all time. ( E.T., Jaws, Indiana Jones )

Honorable mentions:
Sergio Leone
Spike Jonze
Francis Ford Capolla
Robert Zemeckis
Harold Ramis
David O. Russell
Woody Allen
Mel Gibson
Clint Eastwood
Roman Polanski
Ridley Scott
Tim Burton
James Cameron
Ridley Scott
Tony Scott
George Lucas
Oliver Stone
Brian de Palma
Alfred Hitchcock
Stanley Kubrick Phone Post 3.0

John Waters

Stanley Kubrick
Paul Thomas Anderson
Martin Scorsese
Cohen Brothers
Harmony Korine

SnapLocally - 

John Waters

Baby, you got those cunt eyes.

I had to laugh at:

1. Martin Scorsese- best gangster movies of all time and consistently makes classics and is very original. ( Departed, Goodfellas)

since The Departed was a remake of Infernal Affairs.  Don't ge me wrong, Scorsese is a fantastic director, it just struck me as funny.

paw -

I had to laugh at:

since The Departed was a remake of Infernal Affairs.  Don't ge me wrong, Scorsese is a fantastic director, it just struck me as funny.

He's been on record to say that he's never actually seen the internal affairs. And I'm well aware it's a remake but the way he made it was brilliant. His originality is in every scene and with his vision. Phone Post 3.0

cooper367 - Stanley Kubrick
Paul Thomas Anderson
Martin Scorsese
Cohen Brothers
Harmony Korine

Paul Thomas Anderson is great as well, looking forward to Inherent Vice Phone Post 3.0

SnapLocally -

John Waters

Forgot about him Phone Post 3.0

papasmurf24 -

you already named just about everyone except:

Terry Gilliam

Darren Aronofsky

Well that's kind of the point I tried to make a list of great directors off the top of my head for people to choose from, I forgot a few greats though Phone Post 3.0

Lately been on a Werner Herzog kick and would recommend his films (Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Rescue Dawn, Grizzly Man, etc) to anyone.

Can't wait for Inherent Vice either!

plan9records - Lately been on a Werner Herzog kick and would recommend his films (Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Rescue Dawn, Grizzly Man, etc) to anyone.

Can't wait for Inherent Vice either!
I liked rescue dawn a lot.

Inherent Vice looks to be a classic, The casting looks wonderful. You can see some pictures online of Phoenix in full costume, he looks very badass. Phone Post 3.0

Easy:

1: Michael Bay

2: Michael Bay

3: Michael Bay

4: Michael Bay

5: Michael Bay

sherlock1988 - Michael bay X5 Phone Post 3.0

God damn it.  2 Minutes late.

Gasper Noe
George Miller
David Fincher

Just a few brilliant directors that haven't been named yet Phone Post 3.0

And your list is spot on OP Phone Post 3.0

Stanley Kubrick
Werner Herzog
Darren Aronofsky
Akira Kurosawa
Micheal Mann

David Fincher
Darron Aronofsky
Guy Ritchie
Scorsese
And Zack Snyder actually.. Phone Post 3.0

Most of mine have been mentioned except for John Carpenter and Robert Rodriguez Phone Post 3.0

Kubrick
Tarantino
Coens
Scott
Cameron

Aronofsky
Boyle
scorsese
Tarantino

Hard to determine my fifth. Most of the above mentioned could easily take that spot Phone Post 3.0