What came first?

My coach Greg Nelson was telling us about how wrestling used to have submissions and when he shows us submission wrestling moves it's the most deadliest barbaric shit ever. A lot of moves that have been forgotten. That had me thinking, what sport came first? Wrestling or jiujitsu I believe wrestling based on some historical facts Greg pointed out and it even turns out there was a thing back in the day called "jacket wrestling" sounds like the gi to me hmmm anyways just wondering if any other jiujitsu or wrestling nerd in here has some input. Phone Post 3.0

Wrestling

Or the chicken.

Martial arts came from the east. Wrestling from the west. Phone Post 3.0

Greek wrestling, also known as Ancient Greek wrestling and Pále (????), was the most popular organized sport in Ancient Greece. A point was scored when one player touched the ground with his back, hip, shoulder, or tapped out due to a submission-hold or was forced out of the wrestling-area. Three points had to be scored to win the match. Wrestling was the first competition to be added to the Olympic Games that was not a footrace. It was added in 708 B.C

Jujutsu first began during the Sengoku period of the Muromachi period in 1532 and was founded by Takenouchi Hisamori, a military tactician and lord from Mimasaka Province.

-Wiki

Wrestling...

Good luck with TUF Phone Post 3.0

wrestling has deep roots in england i believe, it has a rich history. But Japanese jiujitsu might go back even further.

Well when you are 4 and get in a fight with your brother or sister what do you do, wrestle, or go or the armbar Phone Post 3.0

Traditional koryu jujutsu evolved from earlier forms of Japanese wrestling.

Almost all cultures have some form of competitive grappling/wrestling. Wrestling in its most basic form is the basis of all grappling arts.

shaqitup - Well when you are 4 and get in a fight with your brother or sister what do you do, wrestle, or go or the armbar Phone Post 3.0

At 4? Sidestep, grab the head, twist until crunching sound signals their death.

Wrestling it was in ancient greece Phone Post 3.0

"Jiu-jitsu comes from wrestling. So does judo. They’re really all the same thing." - "Judo" Gene LeBell

JoshSanchez - 

"Jiu-jitsu comes from wrestling. So does judo. They’re really all the same thing." - "Judo" Gene LeBell

"I invented it all."

- Master Steven Seagal

The Gumball Kid -
StocktonStickerSlap - Wrestling was the first sport. Phone Post 3.0

Basketball was you idiot, don't come in here dropping BS facts.

At least go research OP's question before you make shit up. Look at when Stephen A Smith created the game of basketball, it dates back further.
You sir are incorrect Phone Post 3.0

Think of the gi as an egg, and the singlet as a chicken's natural coat of feathers.  I hope that helps.

Which came first?  If you are a Godless BJJ player, you maybe think the BJJ egg was laid by some evolving eastern reptile millions of years ago that later gave birth to the mature sport of wrestling.  But if you are a God-fearing wrestler, you know that within the last 2000 years, the hand of the Most High tore a hole in the heavens and performed a holy oil check on some lucky naked Greek guy, and the divinely appointed chain of combat sports began.

That's how Greg taught it to me anyway.

FETT_UGCTT_LnPninja -

Or the chicken.

Was waiting for someone to say that Phone Post 3.0

shaqitup - Well when you are 4 and get in a fight with your brother or sister what do you do, wrestle, or go or the armbar Phone Post 3.0
Hahaha so true Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_WarHunt - ive seen wild primate sex that resemebles both wrestling and joo jitsu.

i vote wild primate sex.
Me too! Phone Post 3.0