what can you catch? STD? HIV?

What can you contract through grappling and MMA training?

Between the sweat and skin to skin contact it seems that if someone has herpes or other problems than you can contract it during long training sessions.

Staph? Worm? all this seems common, what about STD?

Also, amateur MMA does not look for blood test so you could be fighting an HIV positive or Hep carrier. If the other guy gets cut bad, your corner should throw in the towel. My 2 cents on that.

This a legit concern, there is a lot of potential for all the above mentioned cooties. As a paramedic I might assume everyone has HIV etc. Herpes can occure on someones arm, neck, etc. Its not always genital. Just so ya know.

Vector, re-read the post.

"amateur MMA does not look for blood test so you could be fighting an HIV positive or Hep carrier"

sometimes people bleed in MMA ;)

VectorWega, while grappling your nail can scratch your opponents skin and make it bleed......someone can have a nose bleed or an open wound. When being so close in contact with other people, cooties is a legitimate concern

I was under the impression that you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than you would be to get HIV in an MMA fight.

(not that I would fight someone with the funk)

ttt