What determines KO power?

I think the first response hit it on the head. Another thing I think people neglect with punching power is trunk strength, a phrase I hate because it makes everybody think of fruity medicine ball exercises. Big hitters have big abs, obliques, lower back, and hips more often than not. So much so that if they aren't totally ripped, it looks like they have a gut.

Thanks everyone for your responses, very interesting stuff

I remember reading a RJJ interview and he said to hit hard you have to punch through somebody.

Ive always used this quote in my head, and i think that if you remember to do it, you automatically do many things that people are suggesting.

Steamfitter knows his shit. Calves are a huge key. All your power comes from your legs. If you look at boxers who are known as KO guys they usually have big calves. Hamed had huge claves for his weight. His calves msut have been 50% of his body weight. Tyson, Lewis etc.. all have big calves. In MMA look at Igor, Cro Cop etc.. big calves. Guys with little power like Minotaruo, no calves.

Another physical attribute is strong forearms and wrists. A guy like Igor Vovchanchyn's grip is crazy. I swear he has extra muscles in his hands. He has more meat on his hands than most people have in their whole arms.

Technique is obviously a big key as well. Punching properly will give you more power. Accurate punches will KO guys 100x's more often than just swinging wild big punches. That's why you see a guy like Frye KO that guy with a jab in UFC 8, and knockdown the other with a jab. Because he hit them on the button.

It also never fails to amaze me that people still think big biceps = KO power.

"Tyson, Lewis etc.. all have big calves."

I've always thought Tyson had freakishly skinny legs compared to his upper body.

Orcus, what are you talking about? Tyson has tree trunk legs

edited to say that i think Orcus is usually right on the money with his observations

Actually Iron Palm is a real physical skill that teaches you to get great velocities in your hand and teaches how to use your spine and relax your upper body well.

There was a guy named Alex Wesler who wrote a great deal on IP. He trained in Muay Thai and also in some BJJ, and he was from the state of NY if I'm not mistaken.

Although a lot of breaking demos are fake, his were real and he explained the physics of hitting with force very well.

Things such as IP, Chen tai chi fundamentas, hsing i, 6 harmonies etc. are actually a form of strength training.

If you ever study the real neijia type training, you'll notice that it's not really a comprehensive fighting style so much as a form of strength, agility, and core stability training.

This stuff should not be dismissed, just like you wouldn't dismiss powerlifting, olympic lifting, kettlebells, Indian clubs etc.

These strength training styles are immensely useful to all fighters and athletes, but doing just strength training doesn't make one a fighter.

So if you ever get a chance to learn real internal martial arts, give it a try. You can apply it to real pugilism, kicing, takedowns, BJJ etc. and it will make all your skills go up because it enhances your core attributes.

I wouldn't recommend just learning Chen posture training and then trying to fight in the UFC though. You'd have to learn a delivery system like western pugilism and BJJ and THEN your strength etc. can be used to advantage.

from what ive read/heard..the reason for a KO, occuring from a shot on the chin is because it causes the head to spin faster than the brain which causes it to hit the side of the inside of the skull....not because of a bundle of nerves.

I could be wrong though....id like someone to verify this

i read that a shot to the chin twists your head at a very fast and awkward angle, causing a sharp pinch to your spinal cord in the back of your neck. supposedly, this is what causes the black out.

Papa Zuda beat me too it.

Unless you're technique is extremely poor or you are extremely weak for your size, it's all about Timing and Accuracy.

I could floss my teeth with Tommy Hearns' legs. If memory serves, he hit pretty hard :)