What do I need in a computer for gaming?

Don't want to spend too much. Just want something for gaming. Or is Xbox or ps4 better for that? Phone Post 3.0

Gonna need some ram in there Phone Post 3.0

1. How much are you willing to spend?

2. What kind of games do you want to play?

3. What Personal computer items do you have already?

4. If you want to play with friends, what do they play on?

5. How tech saavy are you?

6. Could you bake a cake, if given the recipe?

You're not going to build a pc windows copy that outperforms a console for the price of a console. You maybe could build a steambox on par with free os. Your current computer might be enough with just a gpu added.

If not on budget build a machine with HTC vive specs

for casual gaming, the xbox and ps4 are perfectly fine, their indie library is quickly grabbing up many of the games I turned to my PC and Steam for.

DaveFu - 1. How much are you willing to spend?

Around $500. I want play counterstrike if it's still around and games like that. Phone Post 3.0

Do you have an HDtv?

I am a console gamer which is fine for the most part, well until the Xcom sequel and the new Warhammer game came out :( Phone Post 3.0

I always wanted to play those Total War games on the highest settings.

Alas, I could only get it to run on the lowest.

Always wondered what life on the other side was like. And how much it costs to get there. Phone Post 3.0

Malvert the Janitor - I always wanted to play those Total War games on the highest settings.

Alas, I could only get it to run on the lowest.

Always wondered what life on the other side was like. And how much it costs to get there. Phone Post 3.0

That depends. What kind of PC do you have? In most cases, all it takes is a decent graphics card.

I would hold off for about a month since both companies are about release their next generation cards and that will lower prices across the board.

Honesty -
DaveFu - 1. How much are you willing to spend?

Around $500. I want play counterstrike if it's still around and games like that. Phone Post 3.0

Ok if you want to play counterstrike, which is alive and thriving (CS:GO) you'll need a pc. It's not a graphically stressful game, it's more about FPS, you don't need a super computer to run it. You'll save money building one yourself.

Here is a good breakdown.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601.html

Here is an exhaustive look on what it takes to build a pc. The hard part is figuring out what the best parts for your buck are. Assembly is the easy part. 

500$ total is not much.
Most important component for gaming is the gfx card, and those bitches are expensive. Phone Post 3.0