What do miss about the NHB days?

1) The mystery of the "alternate" opponent is what one thing I miss.

You never knew if the dude was going to be a complete and utter monster or a fraud of the highest degree. The unknown factor was fun.

2) Seeing an art fail which you thought wouldn't - ie: Boxing. 

3) The gimmicks - ie: Kimbo & his cross, Bone-breaking arts etc.

Any more?

Mixed weight classes, head butts, nobody point fighting...

I miss the era but combine todays athletes with yesteryears rules and there would be way too much serious trauma.

Real fighters instead of competitors.

Fighters instead of athletes. Fans instead of groupies. This place for example would be the site everyone in the business went to. Now it's one giant circle jerk of nerds posting pics of the women "fighters".

I miss stuff like this.

kimo not kimbo

Golden Boy - Fighters instead of athletes. Fans instead of groupies. This place for example would be the site everyone in the business went to. Now it's one giant circle jerk of nerds posting pics of the women "fighters".
The closeness of the community, I still have friends that I made in the early part of the decade that I met on the different forums and some of you helped me thru rough times and drunken nights on aim, which I will forever be grateful for.

Fights instead of sparring sessions

I was a teen during the NHB days so it was like a fantasy come do life- finally all the best martial artists and styles could come together and find out who is the best.

It was real life Bloodsport to me.

I already knew boxers, wrestlers, and some kickboxers and karate guys were badasses.

Royce blew my mind. Seeing Ruas, Shamrock, Taktarov, Severn got my interest too.

Then I saw the arrival of Erikson, Kerr, Coleman etc...

Thinking that fights like Rickson vs Sakuraba/Kerr were going to happen and it would be the most important fight in history, I miss that.

More than anything I miss the grandeur and excitement of the Pride GP's after the NHB ended. You knew you were watching something incredible. The Pride GP's had a magic that was not there before or since.

AlphaTardTravisFan - 
Golden Boy - Fighters instead of athletes. Fans instead of groupies. This place for example would be the site everyone in the business went to. Now it's one giant circle jerk of nerds posting pics of the women "fighters".
The closeness of the community, I still have friends that I made in the early part of the decade that I met on the different forums and some of you helped me thru rough times and drunken nights on aim, which I will forever be grateful for.

This in spades.

I got my writing gigs with MMA Weekly.com by just emailing them. Called TapouT on a whim & a couple days later was on the phone with Dan ("Punkass" - i.e. co-founder & vice president of the company). Royce & Tito used to post here regularly. Sean Sherk created a thread once titled "Looking for a Fight". The Evan Tanner (RIP) thread that occasionally gets bumped. When you met someone into the sport, they had respect for the fighters and the sport - didn't become armchair experts after watching their first two episodes of the TUF tv show.

Pride was great because the rules were in place to make it a "fight". Now most of the guys uses the rules to make it anything other than a fight.

I'm not a Conor guy but he's one of the few that fights and will fight anyone. Everyone wants to talk and build their brand like Conor, but none want to actually show up and fight everyone.

ChrisJPN -

Mixed weight classes, head butts, nobody point fighting...

Yes! Great points. 

Soul Gravy - Real fighters instead of competitors.

Yep. 

I've never anticipated modern fights like I anticipated Renzo vs Sakuraba, Fedor vs Crocop, etc...

Great fights are still made, fights like Aldo vs Holloway but that magic is not something you can replicate.

One night tourneys.

No gloves

Headbutts

Knees on the ground

-head butts 

-1 round with a short overtime round

-fights scored on damage

-knees on ground from north south ext 

-no quick stand ups I feel it's cheating to favor the striker after the grappler earned that takedown fights should be restarted in the same position 

-I miss the gi most of all just cause Im wondering how much you could use your sleeves,skirt,lapel to attack with subs and sweeps.

Golden Boy - Fighters instead of athletes. Fans instead of groupies. This place for example would be the site everyone in the business went to. Now it's one giant circle jerk of nerds posting pics of the women "fighters".

lol

In a way I miss the unpolished feel with the presentation and almost amateurish production values.
The David vs Goliath tournament.
The short segments of the fighters before the fight happened.
The emergence of an unknown who became a force: Frye and Coleman to be a couple.

When the UFC was still on it's infancy, video cassettes were far behind on release in the UK, even pirate copies.
I used to buy Inside Kung Fu magazine which would have a lot of adverts for fight tapes featuring the likes of Bad and Marco Ruas, etc. That used to be cool wondering how the King of the Streets would do in the Octagon.

I miss the Superfight.
In a way, I wish the UFC would bring that back instead of having fighters move up and down in weight to challenge for the title; just have a superfight belt.

This is only my thoughts on UFC. Pride had a different feel to it.
I think overall, as much as I love the way the UFC has changed and developed, the old cult status of the early years is still great.

Bring back the Superfight.