what do Mormans believe?

I mean what is thier general beliefs compared to say a fundimenalist Christian. Do they beleive that Christ is the savior, ect. just looking for in general nothing to detailed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormons

LOL I was thinking the same thing.  There is one Mormon regular here named Tulkas but I doubt he wants to type out the whole Mormon belief system.  He would probably be happy to answer specific questions but you can start with a general overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormons

Here is a more detailed treatment of the beliefs of the LDS Church which is the main branch of Mormonism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints

The Godhead

LDS theology maintains that God the Father (Heavenly Father), Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct beings who together constitute the Godhead (this is different from the traditional doctrine of the Triune God, which maintains that the three are one being). All three members of the Godhead are eternal and equally divine, but play somewhat different roles. While the Holy Ghost is a spirit without a physical body, God and Christ do possess distinct, perfected, physical bodies of flesh and bone. Although Mormon theology sees the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost as separate beings, they are considered to be "one God" in purpose.

Mormonism generally posits the same attributes to the members of the Godhead that Mainstream Christianity posits to the Triune God: omnipotence, omniscience, omnibenevolence, eternality, immutability, immortality, and immanence in the universe although not transcendence of it.

Although it is not stated in the canonical scriptures, Joseph Smith and other church leaders have taught that God the Father is an exalted man who once lived on an Earth similar to this one, like His Son Jesus Christ. Joseph Smith reportedly said:

These are incomprehensible ideas to some, but they are simple. It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God, and to know that we may converse with him as one man converses with another, and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did; and I will show it from the Bible. (Joseph Fielding Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-46.)

Latter-day Saint doctrine supports the existence of a Heavenly Mother. Although not referred to in doctrine, scripture, or other Church canon, church teaching manuals and publications often assume Her existence. See a The Family: A Proclamation to the World and The Latter Day Saint Women, Lesson 9.

Though other gods or divine beings may exist, they are not considered relevant to salvation or to this earth.

See also: Godhead (Mormonism); King Follett Discourse

I was just noticing that if Heavenly Father is immutable it doesn't make sense that he was once a man.  You always have to read Wikipedia articles with a grain of salt though.

If I remember correctly, they think that God the Father was once a human who worked his way to become a god. They also think there are 3 levels of heaven, and only the Mormons can make it to the top, and possibly become a god with their on planet, and have some spirit children.

Only good Mormons can make it to the highest heaven and yes the belief is that they will become gods and functionally be on the same level as God is right now.  That represents to me a major divergence from orthodox Christian belief.

"That represents to me a major divergence from orthodox Christian belief."

That's an understatement.

I'm the resident mormon.

and for the millionth damn time...I don't believe that the highest level of heaven is reserved for Mormons.

I leave that kind of exclusivity to fundies and jihadists. So....good luck with that.

If you want basic mormon info, go to wikipedia. If you're really building up to a more substantial question email me at tulkasjones@hotmail.com. I'm on a lurking-only status for a while because i'm in a bad mood and need to get over it.

--Rick

Name one Genius

Paul also taught three heavens.

2Co 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such a one caught up to the third heaven.

As far as a man becoming God, that is blasphemy!

Different levels of heaven sounds a lot like different levels of enlightenment in buddhist religion.

"and for the millionth damn time...I don't believe that the highest level of heaven is reserved for Mormons."

"I leave that kind of exclusivity to fundies and jihadists. So....good luck with that."

Sheesh........What he asked for was a simple overview of what mormons believe not what you believe personally

Read the book of Mormon. Should answer your questions.

rna

"Different levels of heaven sounds a lot like different levels of enlightenment in Buddhist religion."

I can explain this one. The first heaven is the heavens we can see, the stars, moon, sun the sky.

The second heaven is Satan's domain, he actually rules the earth and his army from this place and has the ability to move into the highest heaven and down to the earth. The time is coming when he will not be able to do that any longer and he will be limited to the earth and the earth alone. This is when all hell will brake loose.

The third heaven or the heaven on the most high is where God sits on His Throne as the Almighty. Satan comes to Him accusing man of deserving punishment for the evil that they do. Then Satan comes down to earth and accuse God of evil to man. Satan is called the great accuser for this reason.

"Read the book of Mormon. Should answer your questions."

Not really. I just spent sometime talking to their Elders. The BOM lines up with the Bible more than their present beliefs. Joseph Smith revised a lot of their beliefs in DOC and PoGP. Also every president of their church can make new doctrines as he is the Seer of God. A lot of their teaching seems to me to come from James Talmage, a guy who was never president but wrote their Articles of Faith. I read some of his work, and while I dont agree with him on everything, he was a mighty scholar.

Aaron, what is your source for that info? Did some early apostle, or church father, write about that?

Hmmm...the BOM I have has the articles of faith in it. So I guess I meant that as well.

rna

The reason why I asked the question in the first place is that my father in law is dead set that all Mormans are bound for hell. I have spoke to a few of thier missionarys that walk around town and they seem to on the surface believe some of the same things that I believe as a christian. As far as they seem to believe Christ is the savior and that he is the son of God, ect.

The difference in belief is pretty monumental on all kinds of key issues that go well beyond surface differences. 

To me the big issues revolve around the nature of God and in Mormonism Heavenly Father is not the most powerful being in existence, is changeable, and we humans can attain to what he is now given enough time and other things.  Those three beliefs are radically different from orthodox Christianity.