What do you think of these knife d

knife defenses?

http://www.allinfighting.com/XArm-Knife1.mpg

http://www.allinfighting.com/XArmKnife2.mpg

Not much.

Get Paul Vunak's knife tape. Brings a whole 'nother perspective. The phrase I remember most about that video is "Respect the knife".

The first one was just plain dangerous, the second one was good up to the point where he redirected the knife, I think the redirection principle is sound by the applicatin as shown flawed.

They're bad but I've seen much worse. To try and say something nice: techniques like that might work sometimes depending on the way they're trained. A lot of jackasses with knives just try to jack you in the gut or woodpecker you in the head, and will never slash or change energies. But why train techniques that only work on idiots... some of the time?

All-in/awrology types have some good stuff, but many of them don't progress, innovate, learn, and adapt.

I've never been a fan of the "X-block" knife defense mentality. As I've stated before, there are much better resources out there than these.

Check out Hock Hockheim's "Do Or Die: Unarmed Against The Knife".

Hock and Mike Gillette do an excellent job with "Do or Die". Tony Blauer's "Defending the Blade" and Joe Maffei's "Reality of Edged Weapons" are also worth the time to see.

http://www.allinfighting.com/XArm-Knife1.mpg http://www.allinfighting.com/XArmKnife2.mpg

he should've used a belt :-)

The x-Block is poor because you can have your hands pushed and tied up, also no control on the knife.

Buy Paul V's video

The second one lets control of the knife go. Im sure he is showing a strike to disarm the opponent, but what if its doenst work.

Again buy paul V's video.

Dark Knight, are you talking about Vunak's advanced knife fighting tape on his continuing streetfighting series? Because that tape doesn't address empty-hand against knife, I wouldn't readers here to get the wrong idea.

Good tape. The problem with it as I see it is that Vunak leaves the impression that since it's so easy to mess someone up with a knife, it follows that nothing can be done to defend oneself from a guy with a knife, if one is empty-handed.

1) So if you're out with your wife and kids and a guy pulls a knife on you, does that mean you just do what he says, lie on the ground, whatever? As I said on another thread, people can look really smart going around telling others what they CAN'T do. But folks already know what they can't do, they're not particularly interested in that. What they want me to tell them is what they could do, to create options for them.

2) It's faulty reasoning to conclude that nothing can every be done, empty-handed, against a knife (I'm not saying that Vunak says this; in fact he discusses such things as the U drill in Anatomy of a Streetfight I know but the CSS/AKF tape certainly ends off giving that impression and that VIEWERS may conclude this). Often the knife wielder is some idiot who is using it as a weapon of intimidation and has no intention of hacking anyone up.

I have found Blauer's double volume useful, especially for static line (make sure it's the controlling the blade one, not his older knife defense tape), and have heard many good things about Maffei's. Hockheim's I may have an opportunity to see soon. I also use the U drill and some other "feeding" matrices, but no really fancy knife tapping.

Good luck, all.

IM

Actually thats a good point. I didnt think on how my remarks would have come across. I was just thinking in terms of facing a knife unarmed in these video's.

You are right, and my opinion was not about the best defense against a knife, I was just referring to a small portion of the big picture.

Thanks for expanding and giving your experience on this information.

Those are both no good for a variety of reasons. Without going into great detail, in neither situation does he gain control of the knife hand. The attacker is just giving it up/stops attacking after the intitial contact. If you are going to engage someone like that, once contact is made you have to maintain control of the weapon. In the first example the attacker could have followed up and in the second he could have easily tracked the defender.

If you are going to practice knife defense it has to be in a realistic way. The guy doing the attacking has to be trying to get you and offer some resistance. If not, you are only fooling yourself.

See? I didn't get that from Vunak's tapes. I got to respect the knife. It can fuck you up. You'll need distance of accessories to even the odds. Table, shirt, chair, picture frame....

*sound of IM's head gears turning*
*flashback to CSS/AKF*

Oh, yes, there was that part at the end where he kind of dances around, evading, and whacks and kicks the guy with those kinda quick shots, right? Yes, I'd forgotten that was even on there, and yes I think that's very reasonable. If close-up, I would want to control the knife hand/arm the way Blauer and Darren Laur teach.

For a long time I felt that you should be controlling the hand in a vise-like grip to prevent wiggling or transfer of the blade to the other hand. Since then, some things I've been exposed to (but largely Laur's article) have changed my mind about this somewhat.

You get framed for murder. In your first week in jail, you're butt nekkid in a shower and a crazed inmate comes at you with a shank.

Never say never. :-D

T0ki is highly correct. My jurisdiction doesn't allow carry of firearms or even extendable batons on the person, and I "always" have a tac folder or two on me. However, I do do research in prisons and have been known to travel by plane from time to time. (In prison, I can't even bring in my favourite pen, or chewing gum.)

And depending on the nature of the attack, empty-handed tactics may be required if, due to lack of time and distance, acquisition and deployment can't be achieved fast enough to neutralize the attack. (cf. Calibre Press's Surviving Edged Weapons if you want to get a clue)

Trenton, you train for all posibilities. There are several instances where you may be faced with a knife and you are unarmed.

- Answering the door in the early morning.

- In a building where there are metal detectors

- The ONE day you forgot your knives

- When you have engaged in a knife-fight and you drop your knife (wet conditions, injury, murphy, etc.)

Never say never. Why not train for any possibilities? Best case scenario is that you never use it. Worst case scenario? You'll be glad you trained for it. When I go to the range, I practice with my weak hand, weak eye (I may be wounded or blinded by blood) or from odd positions and scenarios (leaning against the wall for support as if I were hurt or fast-fire after a hard run around the block (to stimulate the effects of fatigue, adrenalin, injury, etc.).

If you carry ANY defensive weapon, your training now becomes a matter of life and death. Approach it as such.

http://www.allinfighting.com/Fallacy.html

Has anybody trained with Carl Cestari?