What Do You Think of These Roman Laws?

These are some of the Roman laws during the time of the "Twelve Tables."

What do you think about them?

* IV. 1 "A dreadfully deformed child shall be killed."??

* IV. 2 "If a father surrender his son for sale three times, the son shall be free."??

* V. 1 "Our ancestors saw fit that "females, by reason of levity of disposition, shall remain in guardianship, even when they have attained their majority."??

* V. 7 A spendthrift is forbidden to exercise administration over his own goods.??

* V. 8 The inheritance of a Roman citizen-freedman is made over to his patron, if the freedman has died intestate and has no natural successor. Phone Post 3.0

• VI. 1 When a party shall make bond or conveyance, what he has named by word-of-mouth that shall hold good.??

* VI. 2 Marriage by usage' (usus): If a man and woman live together continuously for a year, they are considered to be married; the woman legally is treated as the man's daughter.??<br><br>* VIII. 1 "If any person has sung or composed against another person a SONG (carmen) such as was causing slander or insult.... he shall be clubbed to death."??<br><br>* VIII. 2 "If a person has maimed another's limb, let there be retaliation in kind, unless he agrees to make compensation with him." (Lex talionis)??<br><br>* VIII. 21 "If a patron shall defraud his client, he must be solemnly forfeited (killed')."??

* VIII. 23 "Whoever is convicted of speaking false witness shall be flung from the Tarpeian Rock." Phone Post 3.0
  • VIII. 26 "No person shall hold meetings in the City at night."??

* IX. 3 "The penalty shall be capital punishment for a judge or arbiter legally appointed who has been found guilty of receiving a bribe for giving a decision."??

* IX. 6 "Putting to death... of any man who has not been convicted, whosoever he might be, is forbidden."??

* X. 4 "Women must not tear cheeks or hold chorus of `Alas!' on account of a funeral."??

* X. 6a "Anointing by slaves is abolished, and every kind of drinking bout....there shall be no costly sprinking, no long garlands, no incense boxes."??

* XI. 1 "Marriage shall not take place between a patrician and a plebeian."??

* XII. 5 "Whatever the People has last ordained shall be held as binding by law."??

* "There are eight kinds of punishment: fine, fetters, flogging, retaliation in kind, civil disgrace, banishment, slavery, death." Phone Post 3.0

Sounds pretty good to me Phone Post 3.0

Children were considered by pre-Christian Romans to be property of the male head of the family. He could kill them without charge because they were property. As was his wife.

I think there were many aspects of Roman society that would shock modern viewers who see it on TV shows and movies and think it was evolved. Phone Post 3.0

What's with all the questions marks, did Kirik write the law back then?

I think there is a cunt load of money to be made on this jinxy boy. Phone Post 3.0

Sandy Pantz - What's with all the questions marks, did Kirik write the law back then?
Lol

Site formatting issues Phone Post 3.0

I like number 8 Phone Post 3.0

XII. 5 "Whatever the People has last ordained shall be held as binding by law."

It doesn't matter, this places the majority in power. Non gender bathrooms for everyone. Phone Post 3.0

"Whoever is convicted of speaking false witness shall be flung from the Tarpeian Rock."

This one seems oddly specific.

Jeffersonbastard - "Whoever is convicted of speaking false witness shall be flung from the Tarpeian Rock."

This one seems oddly specific.
Indeed Phone Post 3.0

VIII 1. would have sorted out my goading older sister. Phone Post 3.0

• X. 4 "Women must not tear cheeks"???

I like this one and I'm not sure why. Phone Post 3.0

And number 8. 1 would mean death to all rappers. Phone Post 3.0

They need to rethink the ownership of humans thing, but I like the "punishment of like" thing too tho. Phone Post 3.0

"there shall be no costly sprinking"

This Phone Post 3.0