What ever happened to "GSP vs Silva"?

I remember Dana talking about it but never ended up doing anything?

Screw Diaz and Bisping, I wanna see this fight. This is one that look you look back at in 20 years and call the best fight that never happened.

Like what if Tyson faced Ali?

We have opportunity to see why boxing fans never could, 2 of the GREATS in their prime with the same time.

It's not happening. GSP is the best draw in the promotion. Dana ain't going to force him to do shit.

Perfect analogy bc you have your "Tyson" people and your "Ali" people just like theirs "Anderson" and "GSP" people.

Silva vs Bones!!!!! Phone Post

Fuck that, silva vs Shogun!!!!! That's a super fight I've wanted to see for years... Phone Post

GSP doesn't want to do it.

Drummeryan - Fuck that, silva vs Shogun!!!!! That's a super fight I've wanted to see for years... Phone Post

2005 sure, now not so much Phone Post

TheOne - Like what if Tyson faced Ali?

We have opportunity to see why boxing fans never could, 2 of the GREATS in their prime with the same time.

Tyson and Ali were in the same weight division. Do you mean like if Ali (one of the best heavy weights in history) fought Bob Foster, one of the best light heavy weights in history?

And you can look up the result for that one, because it actually happened.

Arecsa - GSP doesn't want to do it.

I agree, I don't think GSP is interested in going up in weight. If Anderson drops to 170, the fight will happen, but probably not otherwise. Which is pretty much the norm, I doubt Ben Henderson is interested in fight GSP at a catch weight either.

Anderson is a very dominant champ, even moreso than GSP is, and is the bigger fighter. GSP would have to be very lucky to beat Anderson at any weight other than 170. At 170 I give GSP a good chance, but Anderson (understandably) doesn't want to go that low anymore.

Basically, weight divisions are there for a reason. If they were the same size (as some claim), then Anderson could make 170 as easily as GSP. As it is, it appears Anderson is about 10 pounds heavier than GSP, and when you have two dominant champs, ten pounds is a lot.

On the other hand, at GSP's age (31), Anderson wasn't doing catch weight fights against the heavier champ (Liddell in his case) either. Catch weight super fights are generally what guys do at the end of their careers, when they're trying to make some big bucks before retiring. I suspect by the time he's 37 GSP will be looking around for catch weight fights too.

Gsp won't fight him Phone Post

Its not fight anyone really wants, Silva V Jones it the fight the fans want.

if gsp and hendrick both win their respective fights and gsp decides he wants to go ahead with the silva fight, i'm afraid hendrick will have an aneurysm.

Dumb matchup. Silva easily wins it, by being at least as good a fighter p4p, and bigger.

What really would this fight prove? I think the only people interested in it are those that (a) don't understand why there are weight classes, and (b) don't understand that this matchup is not about wrestler vs. striker but about range.

GSP is so dominant at WW because he is a master at controlling the distance, but he has zero chance at pulling that off against Silva.

I want to see this fight at catch weight.

At 170 GSP takes it and at 185 Anderson takes it.

If I was GSP, I would have 2-3 fights at WW before matching against Silva. He recently came back from surgery, not a good idea to immediately match against Silva.

pj_benn - 

Gsp scared homie Phone Post

Nothing like another Internet hero calling someone who actually gets into the cage against a coward.

Maybe one day GSP will have enough balls to post on the Internet, right?

gsp has been ducking this fight for half a decade, dana will make him fight, and he'll be long forgotten after he gets folded.

Gsp said non Phone Post

People are so dumb, it's pretty obvious. The only solution is to have a Royal Rumble. GSP, Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Bisping, Cormier, Rory MacDonald, Vanderlei Silva, Shogun, Belfor, Andy Wang, Rampage, and Glover

TheOne - Perfect analogy bc you have your "Tyson" people and your "Ali" people just like theirs "Anderson" and "GSP" people.

At least they were both HWs. Fuck catchweight. If Silva wants GSP, he can challenge him at 170. He's the one issuing the challenge, the onus is on him to make the appropriate weight. Phone Post