What Exactly is the IBJJF?

Why did control go from Carlson to Carlos jr? Phone Post

It appears that Carlos Jr swiped the brand when Carlson Jr folded the original IBJJF.

MMAHistoryProject - 

It appears that Carlos Jr swiped the brand when Carlson Jr folded the original IBJJF.

What kind of Gracie would swipe someone elses idea and claim it as their own...that shit just doesnt happen

4l8r Phone Post

Thanks for this, will vote up. Phone Post

Sub and voted up Phone Post 3.0

Great thread. Looking forward to the rest.

Quick question to anyone who knows - Does the IBJJF recognise black belts registered with the FJJ Rio? For example would a black belt given by a BB registered with the FFJ Rio be recognised as a BB by the IBJJF? Or would they have to jump through a million hoops (and pay a lot of money) to be recognised?

James

Sir, you are mothafucking awesome.

Hoping for more threads from you.

Cheers Phone Post

Sir Taps - Great thread. Looking forward to the rest.

Quick question to anyone who knows - Does the IBJJF recognise black belts registered with the FJJ Rio? For example would a black belt given by a BB registered with the FFJ Rio be recognised as a BB by the IBJJF? Or would they have to jump through a million hoops (and pay a lot of money) to be recognised?

James

The CBJJ/IBJJF certainly doesn't passively regognize the BB's registered with the FJJ Rio,  In fact Robson, Kyra, Rorion, Ryan, Reylson, Gastao, Helio, Jorge, Oswaldo, and Junior's own father Carlos do not have ranks recognized by the CBJJ, or IBJJF (or even USBJJF).  If it were a simple matter of reciprocation (like USJF and USA Judo) then someone like Joe Moreira would be recognized.  The truth is that the IBJJF does not have fixed policies governing the issue, and acts capriciously.

subbed

Thanks mate, that's what I thought. I've always fancied getting my black belt cert from the FJJ Rio (when I eventually get the belt), but wondered about how that worked with the IBJJF. Thankfully as I have no plans to teach, it makes no difference. However if I was an instructor with a bunch of guys and girls who like to compete, it's something that would need to be considered in terms of my or my students standing with the IBJJF, and their eligibility to compete.

James

ttt

IN. This is very interesting

Vtfu op Phone Post

ttt

. Phone Post 3.0

Part 2 this evening

MMAHistoryProject -

Part 2 this evening

Great man! I'm real liking forward to this. Really enjoyed it. Read it twice to be honest. Phone Post

Excellent!

Two years after its formation in 1994, the CBJJ collaborated with the United States Federation of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to produce the first Pan American Jiu Jitsu Championships. The event was co-sponsored by the CBJJ and the USFBJJ, and organized by veteran US tournament host Joe Moreira (the latter organization’s president). It drew more than 200 competitors primarily from Brazil and the United States to Irvine, CA. At this time the IBJJF is still Carlson, Jr’s organization, and has nothing at all to do with this tournament, or the first CBJJ Jiu-Jitsu World Championships held in Brazil later that year. For most this was part of a learning experience as the US Jiu-Jitsu scene was still developing, but Rigan Machado led fourteen Americans to medals that day, including Erik Paulson and Marc Denny (gold), and Egan Inoue (Silver). Rigan himself won the Absolute. ADCC vet and Renzo Gracie associate Sean Alvarez also won gold for America. Their interest in the CBJJ piqued by the Pan American tournament, a few players from the United States made their way to the first ever Mundial de Jiu-Jitsu (Mundials) in Brazil.

Now, until the appearence of the Confederação Brasileira de Jiu-Jitsu Esportiva (with it's own Mundials) in 2002, the CBJJ was the sole legitimate governing body of the sport of Jiu-Jitsu for the Republic of Brazil and hosting the world championships of the sport, even in the absence of a supervising World Governing Body, was completely within the normal range of its activities. International tournaments are a vital part of any amateur sport’s calendar, which had, before the first Mundials in 1996, been a wholly Brazilian affair (the Brazilian national championships being the de facto Worlds up to this point.) As expected, Brazilian players dominated virtually every division, with American players being limited to the two gold medals won by Pan Am veterans Egan Inoue and Sean Alvarez.. 

From 1997 until folding in the spring of 2001, the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation functioned as a rank certifying institution openly associated with Carlson Gracie, Jr. and operatied from their own web address ( www.frontiernet.net/~jiujitsu/ibjjf.html). In 2000 the CBJJ quietly registered two domains (www.ibjjf.com and www.ibjjf.org) and redirected them to it’s own website in Brazil. In Spring of 2002, the name “International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation” began appearing on the front page of the CBJJ website beneath the words “Confederação Brasileira de Jiu-Jitsu”. At this point this new usage of the IBJJF name was restricted to the banner on the website, implying only that that Carlson’s organization was involved. No activity of the CBJJ was attributed to the IBJJF at all, just the name as an associated group, until the IBJJF got it’s own website.

In January of 2006 a for profit corporation called United States Jiu-Jitsu Federation, Inc was registered with the state of California, owned by Carlos Gracie Jr, with senior Gracie Barra member Andre Machado Fernandes as President. The business was registered at the same Irvine, CA address that would appear on the IBJJF’s registration forms. A few months later, ibjjf.org went online, and ibjjf.com began pointing there instead of the CBJJ website. This was not the USBJJF (that organization was yet to be created), but a new US corporate entity under which the IBJJF conducted its business. As “International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation, Inc” was the name of a business already registered to someone else (the Silveira brothers), the organization now bearing the name would function under “United States Jiu-Jitsu Federation, Inc”

Let me be absolutely clear that there is nothing at all wrong with a private corporation making money by running Jiu-Jitsu tournaments in the United States (NAGA, for example, has been doing this productively for years). But it is also worth noting that, as a federally sanctioned governing body (and a not-for-profit) in Brazil, the CBJJ could not do so. While the IBJJF and CBJJ collaborated to produce the Pan Am and Mundial tournaments, the IBJJF was (and is) not any kind of sanctioned governing body at all, World or otherwise. In fact the international accords governing the regulation of international amateur athletic activity will not accept any sport governed by an organization structured like this (ie, to generate profit). The IBJJF is, for all intents and purposes, a for-profit side venture of CBJJ president, Carlos Gracie, Jr. The day that the United States has a National Governing Body for Jiu-Jitsu under a recognized World Governing Body has yet to arrive, IBJJF/USBJJF advertising to the contrary, not withstanding.