What Exactly is the IBJJF?

I confess I have never been up against such a slippery customer as the little Jap. To land him fairly on the head or body was impossible. He avoided punishment by falling backwards or forwards, and once even passed between my legs, almost throwing me as he did so, and recovering his feet behind me in time to avoid a vicious back-hand swing. I tried everything, from straight punches to ‘windmill’ swings, but he was too good for me. Once he had come to close quarters a certain fall for me was the result. After taking three or four heavy tosses, I had had enough of it, having due regard to the fact that I had an hour or so before just got through a long and good dinner.

A series of further demonstrations led him to an invitation to instruct then President Theodore Roosevelt, and finally to a teaching appointment at the U.S. Naval Academy where he instructed Judo until May, 1906. During this period Yamashita sparred with American catch wrestler, Joshua Grant at the behest of the President who described it

Grant did not know what to do except to put Yamashita on his back, and Yamashita was perfectly content to be on his back. Inside of a minute Yamashita had choked Grant, and inside of two minutes more he had got an elbow hold on him… [Still,] Grant in the actual wrestling and throwing was about as good as the Japanese, and he was so much stronger that he evidently hurt and wore out the little Japanese.

This was, then, the first documented encounter between the Kodokan, and American catch-as-catch-can, although there would be many more such meeting in the future.

I confess I have never been up against such a slippery customer as the little Jap. To land him fairly on the head or body was impossible. He avoided punishment by falling backwards or forwards, and once even passed between my legs, almost throwing me as he did so, and recovering his feet behind me in time to avoid a vicious back-hand swing. I tried everything, from straight punches to ‘windmill’ swings, but he was too good for me. Once he had come to close quarters a certain fall for me was the result. After taking three or four heavy tosses, I had had enough of it, having due regard to the fact that I had an hour or so before just got through a long and good dinner.

A series of further demonstrations led him to an invitation to instruct then President Theodore Roosevelt, and finally to a teaching appointment at the U.S. Naval Academy where he instructed Judo until May, 1906. During this period Yamashita sparred with American catch wrestler, Joshua Grant at the behest of the President who described it

Grant did not know what to do except to put Yamashita on his back, and Yamashita was perfectly content to be on his back. Inside of a minute Yamashita had choked Grant, and inside of two minutes more he had got an elbow hold on him… [Still,] Grant in the actual wrestling and throwing was about as good as the Japanese, and he was so much stronger that he evidently hurt and wore out the little Japanese.

This was, then, the first documented encounter between the Kodokan, and American catch-as-catch-can, although there would be many more such meeting in the future.

While not formally abroad at the request of Jigoro Kano, Yamashita did much to impress the value of the Kodokan style on the President, and to place the idealof ‘Jiu-Jitsu’ before the American public in a positive light, and the Kodokan moved to send an official delegation to America. Headed by no less senior a figure than Tsunejiro Tomita, Jigoro Kano’s first student, the accomplished Sumotori and Judoka Soishiro Satake and his friend Mitsuyo Maeda (teacher of Carlos Gracie and Luis França) traveled to America, arriving in December of 1904. The group gave several demonstrations throughout 1905, notably at Princeton University where Tomita had trouble with the large American Footballers, and in New York where Maeda lost 2 of 3 falls to American wrestler John Naething, before encountering fellow Judoka Akitaro Ohno in North Carolina in March of that year.

Ohno had left the Kodokan independently, hoping to secure a position teaching Judo at West Point. When this came to nothing (wrestling legend Tom Jenkins was hired instead), he violated the Kodokan ban on prizefighting, and began to fight professionally, losing badly to Charley Olson in a rough and tumble match. Following Ohno’s example, Maeda and Satake split with Tomita and began to wrestle professionally, first in the United States, and later in Europe and South America. Maeda’s activities in particular are of such import that we shall return to his exploits at length in the next chapter.

Ohno, Satake and Maeda had, like Masahiko Kimura famously would a generation later, violated the charter of the Kodokan, which encouraged Tarujiai (inter-styles competition), but explicitly prohibited prize fighting. Perhaps Kano hoped that the growing Diaspora of rogue Judoka would find material support through the establishment of Judo dojo on foreign shores, and often they did for a time, but the reality of touring the West without benefit of means, and of constantly piquing the curiosity of the western masses with cross styles demonstrations led these men to seek their fortunes in the ring. In little more than a generation, the unique style Mataemon brought to Jujutsu competition was being introduced to and hybridized with wrestling styles from New York, to London, to Belém.

It is here that the distinctly modern character of this story begins to come into focus: contrary to much of the romanticisation of Martial Arts in the West, the essential character of what we know today as Submission Wrestling are not founded in antiquity, either from our own history (Greek Pankration) or that of the East (classical arts of China, Japan, or India); rather it was born in the modern crucible of cross styles competition, conducted in a public sportive setting, and in which the generation that lived and fought in the period ranging from approximately 1880 to 1920 created several distinct families of an entirely modern method of grappling, in which the unique demands and constant pressure to adapt to mixed-match competition are central.

This article is part of an ongoing series, and continues athttp://mixedmartialartshistory.wordpress.com/2013/03/13/a-leg-to-stand-on/

© 2011 Matthew Phillips

Sub Phone Post 3.0

how many places are you going to repost this garbage lol

wow. Incredible.

knee smash - how many places are you going to repost this garbage lol

Other than my blog, I haven't posted it anywhere but here.

TTThanks.

Cheers

Bumping this, since this topic is getting very interesting,...

I wanted to address comments from some that Carlson, Jr's IBJJF and Carlos, Jr's were different entities.  They were different corporations, but they were the same entity.  This is clear from the fact that, despite the fact that Carlos, Jr's IBJJF was incorporated this century, the BJJ press of the 90's reported the 1st and 2nd Mundial tournaments as organized by the IBJJF.  

You're likely thinking: "So what? The IBJJF was clearly organizing the first tournaments, and only incorporated later."  And you're correct in thinking that.  Here's the problem: Carlson, Jr was the president of that org, and the Silveira brothers were it's owners... not just of a group with the same name, but the organization organized the world championships listed on the current IBJJF website as its own.  Because it is the same organization with a different corporate structure. 

I'm copying the supporting links for this from my post in reddit earlier today:

Have a look at what was written in the old InTheGuard online BJJ magazine and you'll see what I mean.:https://web.archive.org/web/19991012195010/http://www.intheguard.com/jiujitsu/tournaments/index.html

If there is any question about whose organization that was when this was posted, see the Jiu-Jitsu Organizations section of this page from BJJ.org from he same time:https://web.archive.org/web/19981203063836/http://bjj.org/links.html

The adds for Carlson, Jr's infamous vhs BJJ certification courses advertising Carlson, Jr as President of the IBJJF were running in Black Belt magazine while the 2nd Mundial was taking place (July 1997)

See page 105 of: http://books.google.com/books?id=LtkDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&lr=&rview=1#v=onepage&q&f=false for details.

Reposting to get the text out from under that ad window...

I wanted to address comments from some that Carlson, Jr's IBJJF and Carlos, Jr's were different entities.  They were different corporations, but they were the same entity.  This is clear from the fact that, despite the fact that Carlos, Jr's IBJJF was incorporated this century, the BJJ press of the 90's reported the 1st and 2nd Mundial tournaments as organized by the IBJJF.  

You're likely thinking: "So what? The IBJJF was clearly organizing the first tournaments, and only incorporated later."  And you're correct in thinking that.  Here's the problem: Carlson, Jr was the president of that org, and the Silveira brothers were it's owners... not just of a group with the same name, but the organization which organized the world championships listed on the current IBJJF website as its own.  Because it is the same organization with a different corporate structure. 

I'm copying the supporting links for this from my post in reddit earlier today:

Have a look at what was written in the old InTheGuard online BJJ magazine and you'll see what I mean.:https://web.archive.org/web/19991012195010/http://www.intheguard.com/jiujitsu/tournaments/index.html

If there is any question about whose organization that was when this was posted, see the Jiu-Jitsu Organizations section of this page from BJJ.org from the same time:https://web.archive.org/web/19981203063836/http://bjj.org/links.html

The ads for Carlson, Jr's infamous vhs BJJ certification courses advertising Carlson, Jr as President of the IBJJF were running in Black Belt magazine while the 2nd Mundial was taking place (July 1997)

See page 105 of: http://books.google.com/books?id=LtkDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&lr=&rview=1#v=onepage&q&f=false for details.

They're a private, for-profit corporation that puts on BJJ tournaments. They are NOT a non-profit sporting association like the IJF or FILA. This should be common knowledge at this point.

Tomato Can - They're a private, for-profit corporation that puts on BJJ tournaments. They are NOT a non-profit sporting association like the IJF or FILA. This should be common knowledge at this point.

I'm very glad to hear that.  

sub for later Phone Post 3.0

Point jiu jitsu Phone Post 3.0

bmorela3 - ibjjf is a joke of an organization. i really wish another major bjj organization would start up and surpass this corrupt, money hungry group. Phone Post 3.0

this

its shite in the bucket

Great job OP. This was very interesting to read. Personally, I think the ibjjf is doing a better job than anybody else out there. That said, there are lots of things that need getting done and bettered. Phone Post 3.0

A lot of bias reffing goes on in Ibjjf Phone Post 3.0

great read man