What fats and oils do you cook with?

I use olive oil, coconut oil, and butter mostly. But also vegetable oil though I'm thinking of phasing it out.

Exact same as you, minus the vegetable oil. That stuff is poison.

You have not listed a real high-heat oil. I'm assuming you either don't grill or sear proteins or are sometimes burning your coconut oil when you do.

Avocado and refined Safflower oil are the best high heat oils.

Coconut oil has a smoke point of 350 deg, Avocado oil is 520.

https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points

So for me it's mostly avocado oil for cooking or olive oil for salads/eating. I don't see the need for much else. **edit: I also use sesame oil a lot for stir fry.

I'm a fuckin tard and everything I make tastes a little off and I think it's because I don't know what oil to use for specific dishes. No one ever taught me how to cook in any way but I like to saute shit and make stir fry. Anything I can make that is remotely healthy. I also don't know how to season for shit. I can make badass steaks though.

Mobil 1

What's the best use for cooking with coconut oil? I usually just use it for bulletproof coffee. Any advice is much appreciated.

MagSlim -

You have not listed a real high-heat oil. I'm assuming you either don't grill or sear proteins or are sometimes burning your coconut oil when you do.

https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points

So for me it's mostly avocado oil for cooking or olive oil for salads/eating. I don't see the need for much else. **edit: I also use sesame oil a lot for stir fry.

This is what I've heard of coconut oil, to much heat is a no no. I forget the smoking temp.

kevind4123 -
MagSlim -

This is what I've heard of coconut oil, to much heat is a no no. I forget the smoking temp.
Sorry didn't catch the smoking point thx.

MagSlim -

Well I mentioned vegetable oil and olive oil. Non virgin olive had a high smoke point as does vegetable oil. Truth is I never really buy non virgin though. Maybe I should. I also mentioned butter, and I use ghee which has a high smoke point. I've bought avocado oil before, but only a few times. I think I'll pick some more up. Thanks for the recommendation. I forgot to mention I also use peanut oil for very high heat such as frying.

Beef tallow

And I have been using a can of spray coconut oil on the grill grate lately. I had always used a vegetable oil before. Now that we've had this talk l'll switch to a spray avocado oil.

Costco had a 3 pack of olive oil that had roasted bell pepper olive oil, basil, and garlic.... They were awesome. Went back for more and couldn't find em.... Now I have avocado and canola :(

Olive oil if it's raw, coconut if I'm cooking it. Nada mas.

EVO is raw, I cook with Coconut oil and Butter. My butter is typically organic

attjack -
MagSlim -

Well I mentioned vegetable oil and olive oil. Non virgin olive had a high smoke point as does vegetable oil. Truth is I never really buy non virgin though. Maybe I should. I also mentioned butter, and I use ghee which has a high smoke point. I"ve bought avocado oil before, but only a few times. I think I"ll pick some more up. Thanks for the recommendation. I forgot to mention I also use peanut oil for very high heat such as frying.

Yeah, it's not like my opinion, it's just science. Vegatable oil should have no place in anyone's kitchen imo. Ghee also tastes woody at times, it's not a neutral "oil" taste, it definitely tastes like refined butter. I also don't see any need for coconut oil unless you're doing some kind of stupid bulletproof nonsense diet.

Coconut Oil: 350

Butter: 350

Vegetable oil: 360

Olive Oil: 405

Virgin Oilive Oil: 420

Ghee: 485

Safflower: 510

Avocado: 520

EVOO is probably fine if you're not cooking protein (pan fry/sear) or grilling, but a lot of people don't use a real high-heat oil when they should.

Avocado oil for cooking, olive oil for salads.

Same. Ditch the veg oil. Good call on that. I do use avocado oil occasionally for high heat. (Its expensive) bacon fat or lard occasionally as a treat. Not claiming this one is healthy however

Canola oil

Extra virgin olive oil and hot sesame oil.  

I No Kung Foo -

Canola oil

Aka hydrogenated Monsanto GMO rapeseed oil. 

No thanks.