What getting KO’d in UFC is like...

I just had an awesome Podcast with Matt Brown that will post tomorrow, and as most of you know, he kinda made me sleepy in our fight. Well kinda a lot. So I figured I would start addressing some of the most common questions I was actually asked by friends and people I met while I was in UFC, since no one else really talks much about these things. So here is the first one, kind of a rough start... Lol Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/8i7bp7IJq00

26 Likes

Fighters like you are what make this site worth visiting. Thanks for the years of entertainment, Mike!

12 Likes

Good insight, thanks for the vid.

Two quick questions if you don't mind..

1: Where would you rank yourself all-time in terms of speed at 170 and above? 

2: Was Okami the strongest opponent you faced?  If not, who would you say was?

1 Like
Squirrel, Blue Belt -

Fighters like you are what make this site worth visiting. Thanks for the years of entertainment, Mike!

Thanks bud!

1 Like
Dashabox -

Thanks!

1. At the time? In my Prime? I was fastest at 170! Haha ;) Even now at 41, still the fastest 41yo around Lol

2. Yea but Okami’s strength didn’t scare me. Everyone thinks that because they heard me tell my corner he was strong between rounds 1 and 2. I was just letting them know we couldn’t do the original gameplan, as I was usually stronger than my opponents. Not this case. He was freak strong. Not gonna be able to win the clinch. So we changed up the plan and I went out and almost finished him in round 2 and took the round. Hate when people think I was broke and scared. It was my best round after I said that comment. Good adjustment too. He just got me back down in 3 and I couldn’t get him off until like 45 seconds was left. Crazy to be on top punching your opponent in front of your hometown crowd last 30 seconds of the fight to awesome cheering then lose. Rightfully so though, he did win the majority of the 3rd and took the fight. Moral victory with my hometown ending though! Haha 

4 Likes

saved for later.  your content is awesome, man!  love the honesty

1 Like

TTT

Mike Swick -
Dashabox -

Thanks!

1. At the time? In my Prime? I was fastest at 170! Haha ;) Even now at 41, still the fastest 41yo around Lol

2. Yea but Okami’s strength didn’t scare me. Everyone thinks that because they heard me tell my corner he was strong between rounds 1 and 2. I was just letting them know we couldn’t do the original gameplan, as I was usually stronger than my opponents. Not this case. He was freak strong. Not gonna be able to win the clinch. So we changed up the plan and I went out and almost finished him in round 2 and took the round. Hate when people think I was broke and scared. It was my best round after I said that comment. Good adjustment too. He just got me back down in 3 and I couldn’t get him off until like 45 seconds was left. Crazy to be on top punching your opponent in front of your hometown crowd last 30 seconds of the fight to awesome cheering then lose. Rightfully so though, he did win the majority of the 3rd and took the fight. Moral victory with my hometown ending though! Haha 

Thanks for taking the time to answer in detail Mike.

I believe you were the fastest and no doubt your the fastest 41 year-old around.  I really can't think of anyone faster off the top of my head.

As for the second question I hope you know I wasn't implying you were broken by Okami or scared, I'd never come at you like that.  I'd be too scared we would run into each other one day and you would remember my screen name lol

Thanks again, you have a great show going.

Maybe you were just tired Mike.

Love the Podcasts.

Dashabox -
Mike Swick -
Dashabox -

Thanks!

I believe you were the fastest and no doubt your the fastest 41 year-old around.  I really can't think of anyone faster off the top of my head.

As for the second question I hope you know I wasn't implying you were broken by Okami or scared, I'd never come at you like that.  I'd be too scared we would run into each other one day and you would remember my screen name lol

No worries bud and I didn’t think you were, I was just addressing the fact so many people online did and the assessment was off. As you see more now with the no crowds, the corner time is a very important place to share vital info that needs to be shared. It would do me no good to be an AKA fighter and go back to my corner and say I was intimidated. Haha

1 Like
Rambo John J - Maybe you were just tired Mike.

Love the Podcasts.

Thanks bud, glad you enjoy them!

1 Like

Awesome! I love Matt Brown. 

good to see the quick sharing and posting! 

Mike Swick -
Dashabox -
Mike Swick -
Dashabox -

Thanks!

No worries bud and I didn’t think you were, I was just addressing the fact so many people online did and the assessment was off. As you see more now with the no crowds, the corner time is a very important place to share vital info that needs to be shared. It would do me no good to be an AKA fighter and go back to my corner and say I was intimidated. Haha

Makes sense, people can be harsh with their judgments.

I know you're busy but I was wondering if you have ever been contacted by the UFC for a commentating/host job and if you would be interested if they did?

I think you would be great at it, but considering where you live I suppose it might not be possible/worth it for you.

The new Matt Brown Podcast! Enjoy! 

https://youtu.be/ZfkriMGa6q0

UFC welterweight, TUF 7 alum, owner of Immortal Martial Arts Center, Co-founder and Co-owner of Immortal Coffee, and Mike’s former opponent, Matt Brown, Skypes in for today’s show. He and Mike talk about Matt’s upcoming fight against Carlos Condit, his sources of motivation, fighting without crowds, Leon Edwards vs Khamzat Chimaev, Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier, the Khabib/Jones P4P GOAT debate, The Ultimate Fighter, and so much more! Be sure to subscribe and click the bell for notifications so you never miss an episode!

Timestamps:

2:35 Matt almost had to close his gym

5:23 Phuket, Thailand is like the fight Mecca of the world

6:51 How Mike got KO’d by Matt 

11:05 Third time is the charm for Matt Brown vs Carlos Condit

15:57 Matt’s kids are his main source of motivation

17:33 Welterweight rankings don’t matter to Matt

21:21 Matt’s first no-crowd fight really threw him off

23:38 Leon Edwards will be a true test for Khamzat Chimaev

28:09 Matt’s take on Conor McGregor vs Justin Poirier

29:31 Matt weighs in on the Khabib vs Jon Jones P4P GOAT debate

36:15 Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr

37:24 Carlos Condit could be Matt’s last fight

38:51 Matt is a fan of TUF and Dana White’s Contender Series

40:44 The Ultimate Fighter from an insider’s perspective

43:04 Coaching isn’t easy, but Matt loves it

3 Likes

![Mike Swick - The Quest for Ten Finally Resumes Saturday | UFC](upload://p6D2doPG8uvcH1JVgApQdp96mPm.jpeg)

Hong Kong Phooey -

![Mike Swick - The Quest for Ten Finally Resumes Saturday | UFC](upload://p6D2doPG8uvcH1JVgApQdp96mPm.jpeg)

And then after this he choked me unconcious. Lol I gotta do a video now about what it’s like waking up in the center of the Octagon and having Bruce Buffer tell me what the hell happened. Good times! 

Swick provides great content and insight in his post fight career. A great ambassador for MMA.

ttt

Such a legend, glad you're still having fun with it all!

Hey Mike sorry to ask a question about one of your loses but I’ve been wondering this for awhile and never got a chance to ask someone on your level this question. How did you keep your mind set on the goal of fighting after losing in your hometown? Back in 2013 I had a small MMA gym and I was pursuing what I thought would be my MMA career. I was only 4-0 but we threw an event in my home town. To keep a long story short I ended up getting TKOd with 5 seconds left of the first round. Span a week or two later, depression and embarrassment hit me like a freight train and so did self medicating with heavy drugs. Luckily I’m clean finally but I just would really love some insight on how you kept your mind set on your goals after losing in front of family and the town you grew up in. I never thought I would be able to ask something that’s as successful as you the question but I get the feeling you might be the guy to be able to articulate that better then most mma fighters. Thanks a lot man! 

2 Likes