What happened to fire flies?

We used to see them everywhere in the summer. Noticed the last few years I haven't seen one. They used to light up the woods..... Same with lady bugs. They would infest houses in Southern nh. Now, nothing.

Everywhere in Indiana

The saboteur?  I think Roadblock killed him. 

Pesticides are mostly the culprit, but a couple invasive bug species were introduced to the US recently that also took a toll. That mean as shit red and black Japanese beetle and the stink bug. They don’t disturb the fireflies at all, but introducing a species that competes for the same resources takes a toll as well.

they're all over the place in Pa in the summer

Pretty sure I took half of them out with a wiffle ball bat when I was younger. 

Thebonfirexm - We used to see them everywhere in the summer. Noticed the last few years I haven't seen one. They used to light up the woods..... Same with lady bugs. They would infest houses in Southern nh. Now, nothing.

i see them nepa

Goochy Mang -

Pretty sure I took half of them out with a wiffle ball bat when I was younger. 

tennis rackets were king...man i was such a scumbag with no appreciation for beautiful life. I guess just doing what the older kids did

They call'em lightning bugs around these parts.

i just went outside and didn't see a single one.  

MMA Playwright - They call'em lightning bugs around these parts.

this

Right Hand JO Power -

i just went outside and didn't see a single one.  

this

I was totally thinking about the Lampyridae last night. Those things had some cool shit going on.

I saw them a few times last summer. Have a big backyard and a small woods in the back. Have bats to, i think they eat the flies.

Not as many in my yard the last few years here in nj

I haven't seen one in at least 6 months.

Firefly?

Pretty sure it needs a wash. 

SlapUsilly -

Not as many in my yard the last few years here in nj

This. When I was a kid, we could fill a jar in 15 minutes. Now, we'd be lucky to catch 7 to 10 in an hour.

I got a bunch of ladybugs in my kitchen right now. And get a shitload of fireflies in the summer. I live in the sticks in Nova Scotia. 

There's still a shit load of them here in Texas.