What happened to Sherk?

The guy was and still is a beast but he seems to have abandoned what brought him success. He has the cardio and strength to manhandle people but in his past few fights he seems as though he wants to be a boxer/kickboxer.

There's nothing wrong with adding new skills and its good to be comfortable with them but they're added skills, not replacement ones.

Maybe his cardio and strength aren't what they used to be, for some mysterious reason.

BaldTony - Maybe his cardio and strength aren't what they used to be, for some mysterious reason.

hummmm...i see what you just did

Speaking of which, what's up with this:

"Postfight Nuttiness Award (aka "The Quinton"): Sean Sherk. So irate over his loss to Frank Edgar -- and possibly more so for not getting Fight of the Night -- Sherk was alleged to have run out of the arena, still in shorts and gloves, and down the Strip. It's Las Vegas, so he didn't stand out in the least, but it also means he may have failed to immediately provide a postfight urine test before drinking anything he could conceivably blame a positive test on. Oops."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mma

Or maybe he was tired of being called boring Lay n' Pray fighter, and decided to work on his boxing a lot so he can win over some more fans, and was confident in his boxing agaisnt Frankie Egdar.

Forgot his whizinator in the car.

Caestus - Speaking of which, what's up with this:

"Postfight Nuttiness Award (aka "The Quinton"): Sean Sherk. So irate over his loss to Frank Edgar -- and possibly more so for not getting Fight of the Night -- Sherk was alleged to have run out of the arena, still in shorts and gloves, and down the Strip. It's Las Vegas, so he didn't stand out in the least, but it also means he may have failed to immediately provide a postfight urine test before drinking anything he could conceivably blame a positive test on. Oops."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mma

That sucks if its true, you could really seethe anger and frustration on his face when fighting Edgar.

I know how he feels, being a shorter fighter, fighting against a taller fighter who wants to play an elusive counter game.

I dont know why he'd be more confident in it against Edgar. Edgar has showed great hands and footwork in about all his fights in the UFC. I can see him using the new skills to help setup his takedowns etc but he doesnt have KO power so using the striking should only be a prelude to the takedown in my opinion.

sherk stands up cos he cant finish on the ground! he cant submit which is ovbious he has to ground and pound but he cant hold anybody down! Man i bet he is missing his roids bigtime!! u can so tell he is off the juice! poor dood to have to use roids to help just like the rest in baseball and all other sports.. if u cant hang natural get out of the biz! peace.

BaldTony - Maybe his cardio and strength aren't what they used to be, for some mysterious reason.

hmmmmmmmm

the man only tried like one take down the whole fight? what was up with that

He has great takedowns and his stand up is really improved as well. Which is why I dont understand why he abandoned the wrestling. With the new striking, it should be quick combo, double leg, rinse and repeat.

Even if he cant finish on the ground, he could do this, inflict a bit of damage and do it again. He can do this for 5 rounds and as boring as it is, its a winning formula and winning pays the bills.

The new guys are getting better and he's getting older. Still a great fighter but won't be champ again imo

glassjaw - The new guys are getting better and he's getting older. Still a great fighter but won't be champ again imo

No doubt about that..

I question whether he can maintain a top 10 status, the guy abandoned his wrestling for his striking which is mediocre