What If - Hawaii voted independence

Let's say the people of Hawaii voted to succeed from Merica. It would be somewhat similar to Crimea....except they can go at it alone.

What would the repercussions be? A block on US citizens visiting the islands? Military intervention? - the US pacific fleet would be gone from the island.

Imo - they would do very well on their own without US taxes and "representation" in government. Travel and trade alone would keep them sustainable.

TME UG Phone Post 3.0

Travel and trade won't seem so nice when all of the defense/government spending leaves Phone Post 3.0

well since they are so isolated they might actually succeed whereas the continental USA is going down the shitter.

who knows, most people have never been there or would care.

MMAOutsider - Travel and trade won't seem so nice when all of the defense/government spending leaves Phone Post 3.0
They could demand whatever they want for trade and travel tax. Maybe they become a tax shelter for rich Asians and Mericans.. Phone Post 3.0

They're in a strategically important position. If we leave they'll be snatched up by someone else, whether they like it or not and they know it. Hawaii ain't going anywhere.

If there was a vote, I'd vote to allow them to leave the US. Hawaii would be better off Phone Post 3.0

Kinkle - If there was a vote, I'd vote to allow them to leave the US. Hawaii would be better off Phone Post 3.0

lol no they wouldn't.

Hawaii is right up there with Mississippi when it comes to a black hole of welfare. They have no industry besides tourism, and the only reason why there is a tourism industry is because it's a US state.

More like the US would be better off without Hawaii.

There's no way US government will allow that.

Look at all the drama Tibet and Taiwan had/have trying to gain independence from China. And that was with the US backing.

Unless there's some powerful army willing to back Hawaii against any repercussions, there's no way it could happen.

I bet there's shit load of states that want free from tyranny but USA can't just let states vote themselves out, one by one until the "world power" slowly dwindles out.

They want/need to own more land, not less

Fenix -
Kinkle - If there was a vote, I'd vote to allow them to leave the US. Hawaii would be better off Phone Post 3.0

lol no they wouldn't.

Hawaii is right up there with Mississippi when it comes to a black hole of welfare. They have no industry besides tourism, and the only reason why there is a tourism industry is because it's a US state.

The US needs Hawaii for the Navy Phone Post 3.0

Stu Cazzo - 
Fenix -

lol no they wouldn't.

Considering how many Pacific islands the US owns, I wouldn't bet on it.

If we somehow miraculously became independent we'd remain a heavily guarded and protected territory due to our very strategic location.

That's why it wouldn't happen. The islands would still have all the benefits from the US, and they would lose out on Hawaii no longer being a state.

If we somehow miraculously became independent AND somehow miraculously we're no longer a territory we'd immediately become part of Japan. Or China. Or Korea. Or....RUSSIA Phone Post 3.0

The US would collapse

just kidding, nothing would change at all except way less tourism for Hawaii and no govt. money

Stu Cazzo - 
Fenix -

lol no they wouldn't.

what's wrong with Guam?

LOL at independent Hawaii. Have you been to American Samoa? Because that is what it would be like.

andyloveshugs -

more than 4/5 hawaiians have japanese or european ancestry - a group of people who tend to do well for themselves economically. combine that with the fact hawaii already has an average income of 30k and they definitely do a lot better than american samoa. probably do as well as any other western civ country with around 30k per capita income. 

Spoken like someone who's never been to the islands. 30k is like making 10k anywhere else

Take all the federal money away and their medical infrastructures as well as their educational ones would disappear.

Food stamps and welfare are a major staple on the island for many people. Phone Post 3.0

I am absolutely certain that if we seceded from the US, we'd be speaking something other than English soon enough. We are too important strategically for anyone to not try and occupy us. I also think that our quality of life would go down. There are a lot of people who are for this idea but I'm not. I have a friend who is Native Hawaiian who absolutely refuses to join any kind of registry or sovereign nation because he "loves his XBox, TV and electricity. Oh and 'Merica." If they want that life they can go to Molokai. 

Also, 30k is not much to get by here. Its possible but it wouldn't be the same as 30k on the Mainland. 

The U.S. occupied Hawaii long before it was a State and for good reason.  There has always been a grass roots sovereignty movement here.  It gets little to no REAL support from most people because the last five generations of people here have been raised American.  And yes, 30K ain't shit here. Not if you want to live someplace other than a shithole. 

In this hypothetical question, would the US military bases be shut down? Phone Post 3.0

MarkRobinson - In this hypothetical question, would the US military bases be shut down? Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, why would the base be closed? They would still be very close, the USA would just rent the base, they have bases all over the world.