What is a no gi black belt

Obviously it is easy to consider guys like Monson as one but what actually constitutes a black belt in no gi? I am seeing more and more people carrying this title. Guys like Eddie Bravo have black belts in gi so it easier to see. Do you have to win competitions but what kind? Winnings advanced divisions in tournaments shouldn't be a good gauge considering I see blue and purples winning occasionally.

Do you have examples of No Gi Black belts? If you only train no gi, does belt color really matter?

I'm not sure about the qualifications, but I'm pretty sure I have mine.

i'm wearing a black belt right now... and i'm not wearing a gi

Jake $hields... although he could put on a gi, or a bear costume or a space suit and beat just about anyone.

It's a ninja:

There is no such thing as a "no-gi blackbelt" because it doesn't follow any traditional martial art format.

"It's a ninja"

lol,im getting old rocco thanks for the laugh and all the great pics

Guys like Jake Shields are with out a doubt but ADCC placers aren't the norm for no gi grapplers.

"Do you have examples of No Gi Black belts? If you only train no gi, does belt color really matter?"

It does if you open a school. People want to be ranked it shows accomplishment.

Okay would you say a very good mma fighter known for grappling should be one...as mma isn't grappling

"I'm not sure about the qualifications, but I'm pretty sure I have mine"

You had me as dicks fuck assholes Sean

Jake Shields got his bjj blackbelt a few weeks ago.

IMO, if your grappling instructor is a bjj instructor, you should go with the ranking they give you, even if you do great in ADCC.

Having said that, I know John Danaher, Renzo Black Belt, does award BJJ black belts (with Renzo's approval of course) to people who train primarily no gi.

I am one, I don't own a gi, and pretty much all my belts are black.

Monson has a black belt in BJJ, i can't imagine Liborio promoted him as 'just' a no gi black belt.

Shields is a BJJ black belt as well.

Brennan and Bravo do no-gi belt gradings don't they?

Eddie has his own ranking I do believe. He has his own shorts for it too.

http://www.meleefightgear.com/images/stories/melee/ranked_short_group.png

'Monson has a black belt in BJJ, i can't imagine Liborio promoted him as 'just' a no gi black belt.'

yes i know but he is known for no gi so i used him as my example

Those shorts are badass!!..Great idea too!

why is it that people on the forum (maybe just tuf noobs) think that every mma fighter trains no-gi?

Most of the guys mentioned on this thread actually have bjj rank in a gi.

JSMHP,

you know , no pants , no belt.

BJPenn's shorts.

saw one of them on EBAY for 90 dollars + s/h. (not one BJ wore), thought to myself "only a few hundred people in the USA could wear it anyway..."

ttt