What is embroidered on your belt?

Especially for black belts, I think it would be a good idea to have your rank stripes embroidered onto your belt.

Some other martial arts do this. It's permanent --doesn't come off like tape. Never seen a BJJ guy who has done this though.

Tango_MF - My friend and training partner stole my belt a few months back and brought it back with my name embroidered on it in Japanese (he's Japanese) on one end and the kanji for Jiu Jitsu on the other.

Dude...

I read kanji. I hate to break it to you, but that does not say "jiu jitsu"

It LITERALLY says: "I live to hold the gay men"

Sorry.

The Kanji (Chinese characters) mean something like "White Ghost" in Chinese.

shen - 
Tango_MF - My friend and training partner stole my belt a few months back and brought it back with my name embroidered on it in Japanese (he's Japanese) on one end and the kanji for Jiu Jitsu on the other.

Dude...

I read kanji. I hate to break it to you, but that does not say "jiu jitsu"

It LITERALLY says: "I live to hold the gay men"

Sorry.

Just as I said.

To "White Ghost" someone has very strong connotations in Asian culture. Its if uh... well, do you know what bukkake is?

shen,

it was "man" not "men". it wasn't pluralized. note the brush stroke of the second to last kanji character.

Damn, never knew so many people thought having a name on a belt was a douche move! If it's good enough Sobirov, it's good enough for me.

http://www.dlcache.indiatimes.com/imageserve/00gIena0rXb7m/350x.jpg

I also have my dojo's name on the opposite end.

My coach had my name embroidered on my purple belt . I thought that was pretty cool that he put the time into it .

R A L P H L A U R E N

Luca's custom made black belt comes from http://www.chokesports.com/isami-bjj-black-belt-266-p.asp

High quality stuff!

^ I just ordered that one with "Renzo" embroidered on it with the 5 stripes.

Very excited!!!

shen - 

Especially for black belts, I think it would be a good idea to have your rank stripes embroidered onto your belt.

Some other martial arts do this. It's permanent --doesn't come off like tape. Never seen a BJJ guy who has done this though.

If i'm not mistaken De La Riva has his stripes embroidered on.

At my gym (it's in Japan) we have a really cool custom. You get your name embroidered (the kanji of your last name for J-folk. The katakana of your first for gaijin) on the left end. On the right end you get the name of the person "who got you to that level."

At our gym we have two black belt coaches so most of the students have to make a choice of which teacher they want embroidered. If you can't decide than you ask them and one coach will claim you. Like "Who do you wanna live with? Mommy or Daddy?"

Anyway, I read the kanji of my coaches belt and it says Ishii, a common Japanese last name. Me, never hearing of a black belt named Ishii, ask if that was his instructor. He tells me "No."

He later goes on to explain that on his quest to be a profighter he had to sacrifice a lot with training, going to brazil, not having a steady job, etc. His girlfriend (now wife) essentially supported him in everyway the entire time so when he got his black belt instead of dedicating the belt to his instructor who he deeply respects, he dedicated it to his wife and had her maiden name embroidered on his belt.

I thought it was a very cute story for a guy who isn't known for opening up.

My belt has my first name on one end and my wife's last name in kanji on the other.

I didn't actually pic that, I wear a Judo gi which was my wife's brothers and it has his name on it, so kind of just a joke.

shen - 

I have my Kyokushin Karate Black Belt embroidered with 2 red stripes. Nothing else. Seemed gaudy to me to have anything more.

jiujitsujosh - My coach had my name embroidered on my purple belt . I thought that was pretty cool that he put the time into it .

You realize he dropped it off at a shop, paid a few dollars and then picked it up later? My sister in law is a professional embroiderer and I get stuff done all the time. Jackets ,hats, etc.

shen - Especially for black belts, I think it would be a good idea to have your rank stripes embroidered onto your belt.

My instructor has his sewn on, as does his teacher (Leao Teixeira). Looks smart.

James

Sir Taps - 
shen - Especially for black belts, I think it would be a good idea to have your rank stripes embroidered onto your belt.

My instructor has his sewn on, as does his teacher (Leao Teixeira). Looks smart.

James

Good!

I think this is a good development.

Definitely. If there's one thing that BJJ lacks, it's sewn on stripes for black belts.

James

Sir Taps - Definitely. If there's one thing that BJJ lacks, it's sewn on stripes for black belts.

James

Yes, the lack of embroidered stripes is literally destroying BJJ right before our very eyes.

pcuzz - 
jiujitsujosh - My coach had my name embroidered on my purple belt . I thought that was pretty cool that he put the time into it .

You realize he dropped it off at a shop, paid a few dollars and then picked it up later? My sister in law is a professional embroiderer and I get stuff done all the time. Jackets ,hats, etc.

Lets be honest, that is a hell of a lot more steps his profesor took than most. For a purple belt no less. Very cool of him to do that imo.