What Is Going On In MMA???

It seems Sokoudjou started it all, after his KO of Little Nog the MMA scene was shook, then Nick Diaz tapped out Gomi, followed by Randy's huge win over Tim Sylvia, then Sokoudjou ko'd arona, which was followed by Serra beating gsp like he was his father. NOW we have Gabriel Gonzaga knocking out Mirko Crocop. I mean WHAT THE HELL is going on in MMA?

Fighters are taking control of their fights.

"Fighters are taking control of their fights."

It seems if that was the truth, then why the hell werent fighters doing this since day one?

The level of skill is going up dramatically. Guys are way more well-rounded than they were back in the day.

Birth of the elite MMA athlete, IMO

The level of skill is going up dramatically. Guys are way more well-rounded than they were back in the day.

I agree with you though...these are exciting times.

The level of skill is going up dramatically. Guys are way more well- rounded than they were back in the day.

I agree its just so exciting to see an underdog like gonzage finish crocop with his patented high kick

I'm really enjoying all these upsets. I don't remember the last time I was so often shocked when watching my favorite sport. Henderson KOing Silva and getting two belts was a major highlight.

You are correct. It has been a hell of a run recently.

Agree it is exciting to see...the danger is that fighters get stuck in a mindset of being "too" well rounded & don't excel in anything, I think we've seen a little of this already the past couple yrs (not naming names)

However, I think being overly mundane, bland, & "too rounded" are just growing pains...the majority of fighters will excel at one thing or another no matter how much they train to round out their game.

Realistically I think its the diversity in fighters that makes fights exciting.

The level of skill is going up dramatically. Guys are way more well- rounded than they were back in the day.

bear witness to the fitness of the modern warrior IMO

BM21

Sisters are doing it for themselves.

the next evolution in mma is happening right before our eyes.... sideways hats

i agree with most of what has been said on this thread so far....but I think it needs to be noted that

there will always be elite fighters but what i think we see now is like in k-1 where the best fight often and EVERYONE losses

I don't think its the birth of the elite mma athlete, I think guys are training alot harder and taking fights more serious. They realize that there is a potiental to make alot of money / fame and because of this they are just plain out giving 100% laying it all on the line. Gonzaga had nothing to lose and everything to gain, on the otherhand mirko crocop thought gonzaga was going to be afraid and not press the action. Crocop just underestimated Gonzaga and thats the bottom line.