What is Khabib's Wrestling Level?

On a pure wrestling standpoint, what level is Khabib's wrestling? I assume not Olympic but is he in the top 50 wrestlers in his weight ?

AnotherTMAguy -

On a pure wrestling standpoint, what level is Khabib's wrestling? I assume not Olympic but is he in the top 50 wrestlers in his weight ?

Pure wrestling? What styl e?

Top 50 in free or greco?

You have to be trolling.

Sonewhere between Kurt Angle and Bruno Sammartino

1 Like
ShanTheMan -

Sonewhere between Kurt Angle and Bruno Sammartino

It's true, oh it's damn true!

2 Likes
BJ Penn Forever -
AnotherTMAguy -

Pure wrestling? What styl e?

Top 50 in free or greco?

You have to be trolling.

I'm more of a MT guy so I'm not familiar with wrestling other than the Olympics every 4 years. 

The truth is, we don’t know. He doesn’t have a decorated free record. We know that he was a world champion Sambo player, but that is nowhere nearly as competitive as wrestling. We also know that he has arguably the best MMA wrestling ever.

He is nowhere near the top 50 in the world in his weight. He would get leg laced, gut wrenched, chest wrapped, hip tipped, etc. He’d get tech’d by anyone who trains full-time and is elite.

But, he is likely competitive in takedown only practice sessions with top level guys.

1 Like

Effective, very effective! 

If he was in college today then he would be an All American or better imo..

1 Like

No. 1 MMA wrestler 

Stu Cazzo - 

If he was in college today then he would be an All American or better imo..

Depends on how good his standup from bottom is. Some of the international guys got very good at it very quickly and were able to win mostly on neutral.

wiggum - The truth is, we don't know. He doesn't have a decorated free record. We know that he was a world champion Sambo player, but that is nowhere nearly as competitive as wrestling. We also know that he has arguably the best MMA wrestling ever.

He is nowhere near the top 50 in the world in his weight. He would get leg laced, gut wrenched, chest wrapped, hip tipped, etc. He’d get tech’d by anyone who trains full-time and is elite.

But, he is likely competitive in takedown only practice sessions with top level guys.

This. He takes shots from a far and gets caught underneath a lot. However, i think he does that because of his tenacious and constant in your face pace in mma. It works for him especially when he has fighters worrying about that constant shot from out of no where. 

impossible to keep up with that over and over again, and near the cage it’s a wrap. I think he’d do very well on top in folk if he actually wrestled full time and it was offered At the senior level.  

Not sure if he’d go free or Greco though and not sure how he would do. I’m sure he could adapt but the way he shoots from a far is alarming to me, he would get chest wrapped or dake bombed quickly, I don’t see him at the top 50 in the US in free but maybe could break in into Greco. Like you said, truth is we have no idea 

TAPES - 
wiggum - The truth is, we don't know. He doesn't have a decorated free record. We know that he was a world champion Sambo player, but that is nowhere nearly as competitive as wrestling. We also know that he has arguably the best MMA wrestling ever.

This. He takes shots from a far and gets caught underneath a lot. However, i think he does that because of his tenacious and constant in your face pace in mma. It works for him especially when he has fighters worrying about that constant shot from out of no where. 

impossible to keep up with that over and over again, and near the cage it’s a wrap. I think he’d do very well on top in folk if he actually wrestled full time and it was offered At the senior level.  

Not sure if he’d go free or Greco though and not sure how he would do. I’m sure he could adapt but the way he shoots from a far is alarming to me, he would get chest wrapped or dake bombed quickly, I don’t see him at the top 50 in the US in free but maybe could break in into Greco. Like you said, truth is we have no idea 

Great points. So much of his wrestling relies on the cage. We don’t know what it looks like in space against top wrestlers.

SAMBO world champion

wouldn’t be an all american in college this year if he went right now to full time wrestling 

doesn’t mean he doesn’t have potential to be great if he focused on it

world/olympic level I won’t even comment LOL

he coulg go up to 170 and take usman's belt... after whooping on connor

wiggum - 
TAPES - 

Great points. So much of his wrestling relies on the cage. We don’t know what it looks like in space against top wrestlers.

Like Karo for mma judo, Khabib’s game has been modified for a long time for MMA. Karo wasn’t even US champ in judo which is not even a top judo country but his mma judo was the best for its time by far.

He's definitely as good as the he best NCAA D1 wrestlers currently at his weight. There's a video of him absolutely toying with the #1 ranked 152lb highschooler in the country.

Jordan Burroughs would kill him. 

Id put my money on Askren in pure wrestling

Obviously I don't mean he'd walk in to the NCAA tournament tomorrow and dominate. I mean with a season of pure wrestling training, I think he could definitely compete with them.

TAPES -

he would get thrown on his head in a cocaine heartbeat in greco...

even in the US...