What is really going on in Ontario

I'm writing an article to explain exactly what the obstacles are facing MMA in Ontario and I'm asking for your help. If you've had experience in lobbying the gov't or in writing your local MPP etc... I'd love to hear about it.

I spoke with Ken Hayashi and others in his ministry at length over this past week. I'm certain that I have the appropriate understanding of the situation now. Nothing I've read on this forum or others has ever properly explained what the obstacles are. I'll be writing this article for IF.com. Should be out in the next couple of weeks. I also intend on outlining exactly what we can do as a community of Ontario residents who want to see MMA legalized. I see absolutely no reason why this stuff should be done behind closed doors.

This is community thing not an individual thing. If any of you guys/gals have some info you think would prove useful, please do not hesitate to contact me. info@marcoantico.com or occassionally you can catch me on MSN messenger: marco456polo@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Marco

Personally I think that if someone knows who has the power to make changes and then doesn't make others aware of it when they ask then they are guilty of abusing public office.

I want my mma in Ontario.

"I want my mma in Ontario."

As do I. Together, as a MMA community I want to ensure that we venture down the right path to try and make this happen. No secrets, no b/s, no egos. The gov't of Ontario doesn't give a crap who you are and what you've done in the sport. We are all small and equal voices in their eyes. If we try and focus our energies appropriately, intelligently and as one we will be heard.

I make absolutely no promises of success. There is simply no basis to say stuff like "2005 will be our year" or "Ontario will soon get MMA". Those are called empty promises.

What I do promise is that we will venture down the correct path. We will exhaust every possible resource available to us. We'll need all the luck and support in the world to succeed. If we do succeed, the reward could not be any sweeter.

The words I'm writing make it sound like we're shipping off to war or something. Well, perhaps in a way we are. With that said, there'd be no more appropriate way to end this rant of mine then with the following quote from my favorite video game of all time. "Go forth and kick ass soldier" - Duke Nukem 2000. :P

Like I said before, if enough voices start asking why not then I am sure it will be noticed.

If enough voices keep asking we will get it.

^those voices must be asking the right people the right questions. To date, I don't believe we've done that. We've certainly never done it as a group.

Actually, many people have spoken to many different people using different approaches etc.

I don't see this as anything new per say but rather another run at the wall.

Eventually it will come down.

I'm serious, I will not sit around and wait because people tell me they are working on it either.

We tried that and it has not worked.

Agreed Dougie. We can work together and separate. Let's just be sure that we continue to share all of our information. This is a community, not an individual thing.

Just make damn sure you don't f*uck it up for everyone. It's a much, much, much bigger responsibility than posting 'articles' on some net page (which you've struggled with), and anyone short of an experienced provincial politician should check a hundred times before opening their mouth once. (Which is why it may sometimes look like things are done behind the scenes).

Realize also that there are many people who might actually want to sabotage MMA in Ontario, and would be happy for some passionate, yet ignorant big mouth to stir things up so they can promote their own agenda. They'll slap you on a poster and get MMA set back years.

So, given your severe problems in interpersonal relations on this small, already MMA-positive forum, be careful. Be extra careful. And worry about your own ego.

And lastly, it's not just MMA that the Ontario commission has had problems with. Non-WWE wrestling, kickboxing, and many other ring sports have had extreme problems in Ontario. It's a complex situation, and you saying you understand it after a weekend, IMHO, is cause for grave concern.

Good luck, BUT BE CAREFUL!

This is my worst nightmare come true.

rene r.

I understand and fully expected someone to express the sentiments you just did. I feel the need to remind you that most of you on this forum do not know jack about me. Please wait until you read the information I present in my article and then make up your mind.

The info I've learned hasn't been gathered in "one weekend". All I said is that I spoke with Ken H over this past week. Stop with the assumptions please.

Regards,

That response alone should make everyone, including you, pause.

Figure out how to talk to an idiot like me on a message board, then worry about politics.

Sheesh.

Type of reply that would have garnered Antico the first iota of credibility...

"Rene.r,

I share many of the same concerns you raise, and fully realize MMA in Ontario will not happen overnight, and needs to be handled with the utmost care and consideration.

While I got off to a bit of a rocky start with many people on this forum, I also hope that through visible actions, I will be able to gather the needed support to contribute towards what I'm sure everyone would agree is an important goal.

Yadda yadda yadda..."

Sweet Jesus.

You said:

"It's a complex situation, and you saying you understand it after a weekend, IMHO, is cause for grave concern. "

That's simply false and misleading to anyone who reads that. All I'm doing is kindly asking you to not make assumptions and wait until you read the information I will be presenting shortly. Sheeeesh back at ya.

-------> cut and paste all the rest of the stuff you said above in your suggested response for me.

Thanks,

Antico,

I think that you mean well...however you might unintentionally mess up something that has been in the works for 10 years. Also if Patry is included in your interests you will single handedly KILL Ontario MMA.

just food for thought,

Pete

Antico wrote:

"I spoke with Ken Hayashi and others in his ministry at length over this past week. I'm certain that I have the appropriate understanding of the situation now."

Read your own English. After stating your spoke to people over the weekend, you now have the appropriate understanding. If that's false and misleading, YOU WROTE IT. (Which, sadly, wouldn't be the first time, would it?)

No one is 'assuming' anything you aren't (mis)communicating, and we all 'know you' based on how you (badly) present yourself online.

Stop being so defensive and realize that you could possibly, just possibly, learn something. And understand that if you take public presence, you have public responsibility.\

Now please, please let go of your ego, re-read what I wrote, and BE CAREFUL.

Done with this.

Patry has nothing to do with this.

rene r said:

-----------------------------------

"I spoke with Ken Hayashi and others in his ministry at length over this past week. I'm certain that I have the appropriate understanding of the situation now."

Read your own English. After stating your spoke to people over the weekend, you *now* have the appropriate understanding. If that's false and misleading, YOU WROTE IT. (Which, sadly, wouldn't be the first time, would it?)

------------------------------------

Dude, how can I read something like that and not respond?  C'mon man.  Let's put these preconceived notions some may have of me behind us please. 

I've been looking into this thing for a long time now.  Only this past week did I speak with Ken Hayashi and others in the Ministry of Business and Consumer Services.  I've also contact the Minstry of Toursim and Recreation to learn how the Canadian Muay Thai Amateur association recently received recognition.  IMO - they found a nice loophole.

FYI - it was Ken Hayashi that suggested the course of action that led to Amateur Muay Thai being recognized.  Ken is not the evil person some people have made him out to be.  He neither supports nor dislikes MMA.  He made it very clear that he was indifferent.  Ultimately, it's not Ken that we should be dealing with.

I don't want to say too much here cuz I still want to double check a couple things before disclosing everything I've learned.

Getting MMA legalized is something near and dear to us all. We are all on the same side here people.  Let's please check the egos at the door.  I cannot nor do I intend on doing this thing alone.  I'm only trying to get the ball rolling in the right direction. 

I for one will now be looking to speak with my MP and federal officers now as that is the direction that Hayashi has put me in. Others I am sure will deal with the OAC.

I will keep posting my progress for others to see and use should they need it. I will however post my findings and make sure that I do nothing to damage any steps made by others or current positions.