What is the "Glock" of rifles?

Idk if there are any rifles that are easier to get than a book Phone Post 3.0

Initially I was going to say AK. But even then the AK's reputation has been tarnished in my opinion by shit manufacturers like century arms putting out bad AK's. In theory, it's the AK. Not the most accurate thing out there, but accurate enough and ultra reliable. Just like the block. Phone Post 3.0

Throw these in for other opinions: FAL, HK91, M1A

Trust - Are there any rifle that can't handle cast lead bullets? Phone Post 3.0
Rifles with polygonal barrels in theory can't shoot many non jacketed rounds without cleaning due to risk of lead fouling, that in theory could cause a barrel blockage and catastrophic failure. Phone Post 3.0

Team Blackhouse Fan -
Rifles with polygonal barrels in theory can't shoot many non jacketed rounds without cleaning due to risk of lead fouling, that in theory could cause a barrel blockage and catastrophic failure. Phone Post 3.0
Glock is one of those that this applies too correct? Phone Post 3.0

46and2 -

I would say the AK47, but the AR15 is much more reliable than the old "AK vs AR" argument would have you believe. 

The AR actually does more better in mud tests, because it is sealed up.  Even with the dust cover open, bolt closed, you can slap a shovel full of mud right at the dust cover and an AR will run like a champ.

On an AK, the loose tolerances hurt it when it comes to the mud test.  It lets too much in, and will fail.   

Having said that, the AK is definitely easier to get back up and running vs some amount of dirt or debris that shuts down an AR. 

IMO, on the old AK vs AR argument there are two things I have come to learn after buying several of each rifle, and watching a lot of torture tests and comparisons:

The AR is more reliable than AK people would have you believe

And the AK is more accurate than the AR people would have you believe

There's a lot of good advice in the above quoted.

One thing you need to consider is what do want to do with it? A Ruger 10/22 and an AK-47 or AR 15 all have a place, but each one is pretty different. If you're looking for just fun to shoot and inexpensive, then a semi-auto .22LR is a great rifle. You can also hunt small game at reasonable distances. Small being squirrel and rabbit size. If you're looking for something for home defense purposes then I would advise you look only at the AR. A .22 is simply not powerful enough to be a reliable defensive tool and the larger .30 calber round of the AK make it too prone to overpenetration to be safe inside a home. The .223 round is a very good home defense round because it will fragment and dissipate when punching through things like sheetrock so you're much less likely to see an errant shot go through several walls and hit a loved one, or neighbor, but it's an effective defensive round if you hit the bad guy. If you're truly looking for the "Glock" of rifles, however, it's without question, the AK-47. Its design is simple, it's function is simple and you can run them through much more adverse conditions than even your best AR. If you know what you're doing, they're deadly accurate at several hundred yards with open sights and are usually more accurate than the guy shooting them. The one thing I would caution though is there are several very cheap AKs on the market today and they are not worth buying, so make sure you do a lot of research on them before you buy one. A cheap IO may sound like a great deal but if it blows up on you, it's not such a great deal. Plan to spend around $800 for a decent AK-47,

ramaham - 
Team Blackhouse Fan -

Just run FMJ in Glocks, this is really a non-issue (unless there is a nuance I am missing here). Is it ease/economy of reloading, or some other reason that I'm missing that makes not being able to run cast lead bullets in a Glock a detraction from the platform? Because you can also swap the stock polygonal Glock barrels out for aftermarket ones.

TFK_Mas Tisu -
ramaham - 
Team Blackhouse Fan -

Just run FMJ in Glocks, this is really a non-issue (unless there is a nuance I am missing here). Is it ease/economy of reloading, or some other reason that I'm missing that makes not being able to run cast lead bullets in a Glock a detraction from the platform? Because you can also swap the stock polygonal Glock barrels out for aftermarket ones.

I'm not knocking it at all, I love my glocks and put fmj or hp through them. Phone Post 3.0

46and2 -
Rott3n - kalashnikov hands down. Phone Post 3.0

I bought a Saiga sporter back when they were 299 from Classic Arms. 

I did the conversion all myself, it's absolutely badass.  Cool to have a real Russian AK made in the same factory where the man himself worked.  Too bad dipshit politicians have banned them from import and now they are crazy expensive. 

I bought a bulgarian slr95 when it first came for $300 and my friends said I was crazy. I changed the stocks and it's bad ass. I lmao every time I check gun broker. What a great investment. Phone Post 3.0

46and2 - 

I would say the AK47, but the AR15 is much more reliable than the old "AK vs AR" argument would have you believe. 

The AR actually does more better in mud tests, because it is sealed up.  Even with the dust cover open, bolt closed, you can slap a shovel full of mud right at the dust cover and an AR will run like a champ.

On an AK, the loose tolerances hurt it when it comes to the mud test.  It lets too much in, and will fail.   

Having said that, the AK is definitely easier to get back up and running vs some amount of dirt or debris that shuts down an AR. 

IMO, on the old AK vs AR argument there are two things I have come to learn after buying several of each rifle, and watching a lot of torture tests and comparisons:

The AR is more reliable than AK people would have you believe

And the AK is more accurate than the AR people would have you believe

"The AR is more reliable than AK people would have you believe

And the AK is more accurate than the AR people would have you believe"

QFT

djkingcrab - Ruger Mini14. Indestructible. Plenty of aftermarket options. Very reliable. Phone Post 3.0
Definitely a great a gun. I have an old school factory folder. I feel like "B. A." Baracus from the A-Team. Phone Post 3.0

fastnotch331 - 
TheSergeK -
fastnotch331 -
Mike_in_CA - Ak47 is the Glock of rifles. No question Phone Post 3.0
Nope , AK to loose of a tolerance weapon to be compared to a glock. Phone Post 3.0
Are you high? Glocks are very loose Phone Post 3.0
Been drinking , everyone has a embarrassing moment, but they aren't exactly stamped steel. Phone Post 3.0

Neither is the AK47, its milled steel. The AKM is stamped if we are being technical

The AK 47/74 no doubt. If the world ends the AK 74 5.45x39 is what I would take with me. Phone Post 3.0

Get the SCAR-H!

Region Rat - 
BJTT_MrAntichrist -
ShanTheMan - M249 SAW Phone Post 3.0
Lol Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, mine was a pile of garbage in the Army. Phone Post 3.0

Saw that HK is releasing a semi-auto civilian version for like 8k. What the fuck are they thinking? Without automatic fire, the utility of a SAW is minimal. And for 8k? These niggas high?

TexDeuce - The AK 47/74 no doubt. If the world ends the AK 74 5.45x39 is what I would take with me. Phone Post 3.0
That's essentially what I'm thinking of. A rifle in the closet that I can use for just about anything you need a rifle for. But I don't want to be doing a lot of maintenance on a day to day basis.

In situation where say a natural disaster occurs and you need to hunt, defend your home, kill bandits, etc. what is the rifle that you can keep around "just in case."

What's the modern Winchester 1873? Phone Post 3.0

What about the SKS or Mosin-Nagant? Phone Post 3.0

nottheface - 
TexDeuce - The AK 47/74 no doubt. If the world ends the AK 74 5.45x39 is what I would take with me. Phone Post 3.0
That's essentially what I'm thinking of. A rifle in the closet that I can use for just about anything you need a rifle for. But I don't want to be doing a lot of maintenance on a day to day basis.

In situation where say a natural disaster occurs and you need to hunt, defend your home, kill bandits, etc. what is the rifle that you can keep around "just in case."

What's the modern Winchester 1873? Phone Post 3.0

I think something chambered in a very common, plentiful caliber, that is easily scavenged in a SHTF scenario. Hard to argue against 5.56 NATO and 7.62X39 in North America.

My thought also Phone Post 3.0

Testiculos Ferro - 
Region Rat - 
BJTT_MrAntichrist -
ShanTheMan - M249 SAW Phone Post 3.0
Lol Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, mine was a pile of garbage in the Army. Phone Post 3.0

Saw that HK is releasing a semi-auto civilian version for like 8k. What the fuck are they thinking? Without automatic fire, the utility of a SAW is minimal. And for 8k? These niggas high?

Customer got one. Very meh.