What is the "Glock" of rifles?

nottheface -
TexDeuce - The AK 47/74 no doubt. If the world ends the AK 74 5.45x39 is what I would take with me. Phone Post 3.0
That's essentially what I'm thinking of. A rifle in the closet that I can use for just about anything you need a rifle for. But I don't want to be doing a lot of maintenance on a day to day basis.

In situation where say a natural disaster occurs and you need to hunt, defend your home, kill bandits, etc. what is the rifle that you can keep around "just in case."

What's the modern Winchester 1873? Phone Post 3.0
I rarely clean my AK and it shoots fine, never jammed once. I have a Saiga made in the Klanashnikov factory in Russia.

I love the AR platform but the AK is what I take when out and about on friends land in South Texas on the border. No man's land. I don't worry if it gets dropped or if it isn't clean and it shoots plenty accurate. I have the 5.45x39 model. Phone Post 3.0

TexDeuce -
nottheface -
TexDeuce - The AK 47/74 no doubt. If the world ends the AK 74 5.45x39 is what I would take with me. Phone Post 3.0
That's essentially what I'm thinking of. A rifle in the closet that I can use for just about anything you need a rifle for. But I don't want to be doing a lot of maintenance on a day to day basis.

In situation where say a natural disaster occurs and you need to hunt, defend your home, kill bandits, etc. what is the rifle that you can keep around "just in case."

I rarely clean my AK and it shoots fine, never jammed once. I have a Saiga made in the Klanashnikov factory in Russia.

I love the AR platform but the AK is what I take when out and about on friends land in South Texas on the border. No man's land. I don't worry if it gets dropped or if it isn't clean and it shoots plenty accurate. I have the 5.45x39 model. Phone Post 3.0
I have literally never cleaned mine to see how long it will perform well. Couple thousand rounds and not a single FTF or FTE and can still hit targets at 200 yards with iron sights...man I love these guns... Phone Post 3.0

djkingcrab - Ruger Mini14. Indestructible. Plenty of aftermarket options. Very reliable. Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

Mosin Nagant is pretty well known for being the most dependable rifle when treated with complete disrespect. Phone Post 3.0

Daniel Defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUASQMt5l8

watch this torture test

I have 2, love them!

nottheface -

i like the 7.63x39 round. hits hard at medium ranges, legal to hunt with in every state, good penetration if you need it, cheap plentiful ammo. downside not a great round for long distance

TexDeuce -
nottheface -

how common is the ammo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S93SP4hnYM0

check this out

TheSergeK -
Testiculos Ferro - 
Region Rat - 
BJTT_MrAntichrist -
ShanTheMan - M249 SAW Phone Post 3.0
Lol Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, mine was a pile of garbage in the Army. Phone Post 3.0

Saw that HK is releasing a semi-auto civilian version for like 8k. What the fuck are they thinking? Without automatic fire, the utility of a SAW is minimal. And for 8k? These niggas high?

Customer got one. Very meh.
More deets please. What's the model? Phone Post 3.0

M1A .308 Phone Post 3.0

Probably the AK.

But that said, I have taken several BCM ARs to over 3,000 rounds without cleaning.

The late Pat Rogers took one way further than that...

http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

P749 - M1A .308 Phone Post 3.0
I never hear anything one way or the other about dependability and maintenance for these. I have a 1911 and its like a muscle car. Loves the attention to detail and being lovingly cleaned. But I don't want that in a rifle. Phone Post 3.0

nottheface -
P749 - M1A .308 Phone Post 3.0
I never hear anything one way or the other about dependability and maintenance for these. I have a 1911 and its like a muscle car. Loves the attention to detail and being lovingly cleaned. But I don't want that in a rifle. Phone Post 3.0
Friend also told me not to be a WW2 dork about firearms when I mentioned it earlier. Phone Post 3.0

Ak-47 or a mini 14. 

it is hard to screw up an Ak. they fire every time you pull the trigger. 

My vote goes to the AK-47. Phone Post 3.0

My M249 SAW was 1st gen and on its last legs by the time I got it. 1000 Rounds per min, but you'd only get about 15 at a time before it jammed. I've heard the newer versions are a ton better, but mine was a POS.

AK for durability and reliability but not so much accuracy
AR / M4 for accuracy, but a bit less reliable. I've got one and it's plenty good enough for my needs.

LiveWire -
TheSergeK -
Testiculos Ferro - 
Region Rat - 
BJTT_MrAntichrist -
ShanTheMan - M249 SAW Phone Post 3.0
Lol Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, mine was a pile of garbage in the Army. Phone Post 3.0

Saw that HK is releasing a semi-auto civilian version for like 8k. What the fuck are they thinking? Without automatic fire, the utility of a SAW is minimal. And for 8k? These niggas high?

Customer got one. Very meh.
More deets please. What's the model? Phone Post 3.0
I was joking... Phone Post 3.0

gregbrady - 
TexDeuce -
nottheface -

how common is the ammo?

Available everywhere. Wal-Mart carries it.

ramaham -
Team Blackhouse Fan -
Trust - Are there any rifle that can't handle cast lead bullets? Phone Post 3.0
Rifles with polygonal barrels in theory can't shoot many non jacketed rounds without cleaning due to risk of lead fouling, that in theory could cause a barrel blockage and catastrophic failure. Phone Post 3.0
Glock is one of those that this applies too correct? Phone Post 3.0
Yes Phone Post 3.0

gregbrady -
TexDeuce -
nottheface -

how common is the ammo?

Hornady makes a VMax bullet for it that is sold in stores. I have some cans of the Russian 7n6 round. I usually shoot Wolf or Silver Bear for practice. I order my ammo online, just as easy as going to the store really. Plenty of ammo online. Phone Post 3.0