What Is Your Goal Setting Process

I've read and believe that in most cases, success is not an accident. I know many of the people on this forum are driven people who believe in setting goals. What are some good tips you can give to help make this process more effective for myself and others

anybody?

I was very fortunate to sit down with a very successful person who walked me thru the goal setting process.

Here is what i remember from what he said.

1. Write down 50 goals that you want to accomplish at any given time.

2. When finished next to the goal write a 1,3,5 or 10 as in the amount of years you want to accomplish the goals

3. Seperate them by 1,3,5 and 10

4. Now you have your immediate, short term and long term goals

5. You will have to set them up in a chronological order so that your Immediate goals help you accomplish you short term and then your long term goals.

6. Finally break down the year by months and weeks. And have a set goal for each week and month. Check your progress every week to make sure you make your quotas for each period.

I might be missing some other stuff I post it later if I remember.

Manny

thanks kixxskin

I am not much of a goal setter. Here is why. I was told by someone that they greatest source of suffering in the Western Culture is obsessing about the future and comparison to others. I realized that with my goal setting I was so focused on the finish line that I failed to enjoy the journey. I have general goals because it gives me direction. However, my goal is to live every day with growth, contribution, enjoyment and gratitude. I learned a long time ago that activity is the key to results. I believe unwaivering pigheaded discipline is the most important part of growth. Anyway, I thought I would throw in my two cents on the issue. If you want to see your life change, build your day to insure the 4 points above define each and every day. Trust me that you will see the benefit over time. By the way, that means you also have to schedule quiet time each day to process life.

Momentum - I am not much of a goal setter. Here is why. I was told by someone that they greatest source of suffering in the Western Culture is obsessing about the future and comparison to others. I realized that with my goal setting I was so focused on the finish line that I failed to enjoy the journey. I have general goals because it gives me direction. However, my goal is to live every day with growth, contribution, enjoyment and gratitude. I learned a long time ago that activity is the key to results. I believe unwaivering pigheaded discipline is the most important part of growth. Anyway, I thought I would throw in my two cents on the issue. If you want to see your life change, build your day to insure the 4 points above define each and every day. Trust me that you will see the benefit over time. By the way, that means you also have to schedule quiet time each day to process life.

Ever thought about becoming a life/success coach?

I do lots of business consulting/coaching. Most of my life has been sent on achievement. I look forward to do a lot more teaching and writing in the future as I build a business model in that direction. I have always believed you should teach where you have had success. That is why my focus is primarily with business and finance. I think a lot of life management falls into both those areas. I am not a big fan of the term "life coach". I am a HUGE FAN of helping others create momentum in life in business and with their finances.

Momentum, I think that is an interesting observation you offered. I am curious how you stay on track and focused without having written down goals though, do you keep a journal? Living each day growth, contribution, enjoyment and gratitude is a wonderful belief to live by ... I will try to incorporate this into my own life. Thank you for your posts Momentum, Kixxskin, gusto & Wes Mantooth

"I am not much of a goal setter. Here is why. I was told by someone that they greatest source of suffering in the Western Culture is obsessing about the future and comparison to others."

That's very interesting. I read something a few years ago that got me thinking goals, for the most part, are arbitrary. Everyone wants to be a Kobe or Gates or Buffett, but there's only one of those so what happens when you don't make it?

The writer of the article stressed moving forward from advantageous positions that will allow you to grow as opposed to formulating an end result and then working backgrounds.

4 later