what Judo throws work well in BJJ tournaments?

I like uchi-mata off of a wizzer. Phone Post 3.0

Hunter V - honestly it will depend on you as the practitioner. And the reality is that you need to actually invest in really attending a judo dojo, just practicing a few moves here and there will not make you proficient. Guys like Saulo, Rodolfo, etc. have good judo as they are judo black belts who regularly trained that art in addition to their bjj, not just trying to rep what they think are proper mechanics of a move when in reality they are missing key pieces.

^This

I cringe every time someone asks for reccomendations on judo throws they can add to their game, as if it's one of those "Ok cool.. i'm gonna go drill it for 10  mins and I'm going to master it" type of things.

I do judo once a week, at a legit place, for about 8 years now, and i still can't regularly throw people with about 90% of the throws i learn in class.

Judo throws are fucking hard to add effectively to your game unless you put some serious time in learning all the mechanics that go into setting up the throw.

You gotta put real time into it if you're a BJJ only guy.  If you have a wrestling background, you may have an easier time adapting.

Great thread. Personally I think if you weigh risk, efficiency, effectiveness and learning curve, ouchigari and kouchigari would be the two to learn first for heavier guys. Smaller guys often just pull guard anyway.

If you want to really learn judo then it has to be something you devote a lot of time and focus to outside of BJJ, preferably with the guidance of a black belt. Ouchigari and kouchigari are one thing but if you want to hit something like uchimata on someone with a good base that's just trying not to let themselves be thrown, that can take years. Phone Post 3.0

Foot sweeps are low risk with a VERY high pay out if you hit correctly.  Judo is EXTREMELY difficult to learn and you need to put in some SERIOUS time to effectively throw people on a consistent basis.  I train once a week with a high level judo coach and I find that judo is much more difficult to learn than BJJ.

-B

i know judo is harder then BJJ for sure. But.. I believe as a BJJ fighter we should have some judo in our arsnel -regardless.

This is precisely why you should invite me up for a seminar. :-) 

My best takedowns are judo throws and wrestling takedowns specifically modified for the gi.

I don't understand the people saying how hard it is. It's wrestling with a jacket. You don't need to know every judo move, and let's be honest, you don't even need to be very good at them to throw most BJJ'ers. Adding a little wrestling and/or a little judo can make a big difference, without having to master a whole separate discipline. Jiu-Jitsu the way the Gracies intended it was always heavy on throws.

Check YT for: Jimmy Pedro Judo for BJJ. A few great tips from one of the world's best. I think he has three or four quick instructionals on the matter.

circusmonkey - Check YT for: Jimmy Pedro Judo for BJJ. A few great tips from one of the world's best. I think he has three or four quick instructionals on the matter.

Oops Sorry guys, I guess Pedro's name was already tossed out there.

Peoples knee

-will talk to my instructor.!!! YOU the man, !!

:-)

The Mat Pimp - I don't understand the people saying how hard it is. It's wrestling with a jacket. You don't need to know every judo move, and let's be honest, you don't even need to be very good at them to throw most BJJ'ers. Adding a little wrestling and/or a little judo can make a big difference, without having to master a whole separate discipline. Jiu-Jitsu the way the Gracies intended it was always heavy on throws.

Technically it is just wrestling with a jacket and yes, a little knowledge in either goes a long long way, but unless you do it, you'd have no idea how hard is to learn just one throw properly in a way that it can be relied on.

Think of learning the regular gi choke from the mount in bjj.  Grab the neck this way, put your weight here, squeeze there...etc.    Pretty easy.  Until you realize that you have to fight to pass he guard, find a way to get the mount, and figure out how to get past the hands and bucking and choke the guy.  

Kinda like that, except you got a half a second to do all the steps to unbalance your resisting oponent, place yourself in the right position,  and nail the throw in judo without getting countered.

I also never answered the OP.  In my opinion, try uchi mata in bjj.  So much bending over and sloppy singles that they practically beg to get thrown.  Foot sweeps are also nice once you get the timing down and Osoto gari is also good.  

None of these expose your back fully.

SlapUsilly - 
The Mat Pimp - I don't understand the people saying how hard it is. It's wrestling with a jacket. You don't need to know every judo move, and let's be honest, you don't even need to be very good at them to throw most BJJ'ers. Adding a little wrestling and/or a little judo can make a big difference, without having to master a whole separate discipline. Jiu-Jitsu the way the Gracies intended it was always heavy on throws.

Technically it is just wrestling with a jacket and yes, a little knowledge in either goes a long long way, but unless you do it, you'd have no idea how hard is to learn just one throw properly in a way that it can be relied on.

Think of learning the regular gi choke from the mount in bjj.  Grab the neck this way, put your weight here, squeeze there...etc.    Pretty easy.  Until you realize that you have to fight to pass he guard, find a way to get the mount, and figure out how to get past the hands and bucking and choke the guy.  

Kinda like that, except you got a half a second to do all the steps to unbalance your resisting oponent, place yourself in the right position,  and nail the throw in judo without getting countered.

I also never answered the OP.  In my opinion, try uchi mata in bjj.  So much bending over and sloppy singles that they practically beg to get thrown.  Foot sweeps are also nice once you get the timing down and Osoto gari is also good.  

None of these expose your back fully.

I'm not saying people will be able to learn something without doing it. I'm just saying, and it sounds like you agree, that you can take a few simple techniques from judo and apply it to BJJ.

It's hard to master something like judo (or SAMBO, CACC, etc.), it's not hard to take a little bit away from the art that you can use in BJJ.

judodoc - the extremely low posture used by the light weights make traditional judo throws nearly impossible. Kouchi / kosoto can work. All throws can work but only if they are trying to take you down/not pull guard.

Pedro's judo for BJJ mini instructional series on YT specifically addresses this common scenario

The secret to developing good Judo takedowns is to do hundreds of rounds of randori under Judo rules. Once you can start unbalancing and throwing people that have upright posture, the wannabe wrestling posture you see in BJJer will be comically easy to deal with.

Sub Phone Post 3.0

ttt

Sent you mma.tv mail, Trevor

Weinstein - The secret to developing good Judo takedowns is to do hundreds of rounds of randori under Judo rules. Once you can start unbalancing and throwing people that have upright posture, the wannabe wrestling posture you see in BJJer will be comically easy to deal with.
Well there you go... It's that easy! Phone Post 3.0

I wish I was good at judo. Have been thinking about doing it on the side. I have trained with some judo blackbelts, when they get you right they really can get your airborne. Though I notice I can pull double and single legs on them sometimes too easy. Not on all of the judo guys, but some of them that obviously have neglected the leg grabbing aspect of the takedown. Phone Post 3.0