What Kind of Stuff Do You Do with your Son(s)?

Even though my childhood was such that I never really envisioned having kids, after ending up with 5 boys and 1 girl and getting older I started realizing how much fucking fun it is to have boys. Its basically a license to be really immature and play as much as possible. I love my daughter and enjoyed doing stuff with her, too, but boys playing boy type games with boys is more fun.

Since I work from home, a lot of my life, even sometimes during my workday, involves keeping a loaded Nerf gun by my side because right now, my 11 and 7 year olds ambush me all day. I get shot in the eyes at close range, sniped at a distance, lured, trapped, you name it. I barely flinch when one of them attacks me from behind a door by surprise anymore. We try to figure out which guns work best for us in terms of capacity, ease of deployment, and accuracy, horde ammo, and of course drive my wife nuts. It’s great.

Legos are a big thing in my house as well. My feet are immune to stepping on them at night, but Ive learned to shuffle my feet more. We build lego battle bots and stage fights with them, etc. We just bought Mindstorms so I can start to teach my 11 year old to code.

We also play a game with Hot Wheels cars, where we each “draft” a certain number of cars from the pile, and then we take turns pushing them from one end of the coffee table to the other, and by the time all cars have been launched, whoever’s car ends up closest to the end of the table wins that round, bumping each other is valid strategy, a hanger is a real accomplishment, and we play a certain number of rounds for supremacy.

We also play stoop ball at my house, and my 27 and 24 year olds also play that with us along with the 11 and 7 year olds. The batter throws the ball at the front stoop, everyone else is out in the yard as fielders. If the ball gets past people on the ground or a short line its a single, further in the air a double, past the tree is a triple, and into the street on a fly is a homer. Fielded cleanly on the ground or caught in the air is an out. The 7 year old is like a natural obstacle on defense, we let him try to field, and occasionally he makes a play, but nobody is allowed to get mad if he gets in the way and the batter gets a cheap hit out of it.

We’re also reading “My Side of the Mountain” together right now, about a young teenage boy who leaves his home in NYC to lived by himself off the land in the Catskills, and we just started home BJJ classes with me teaching them.

What are your go-to activities with your kids?

2 Likes

My sons are older now and we hunt and shoot together. I am a high school agriculture teacher so my sons spent piles of time with me doing FFA events and activities. 

Whatever you do, find ways to spend as much time with them as you can.

BTW - the best indicator for success in life a girl can have is the quality of time spent with her by her dad. Girls need to know their dad loves them. Boys do too, but also need a passing of the mantle/acknowledgement of their manhood.

1 Like

"IN ! ! !"

-Orcus

1 Like

I have 3 boys. 12, 10, 7. Pretty much everything you said goes on in our house!

Their dad and I split time 50/50 and hes a good dad so the do get that time and influence in the activities they do. But I'm a boy mom, it just works for me. Cars, dirt, play fights etc. 

Jiujitsu, cook, yoga, and my favorite...yell at them incessantly

cycklops - 

Jiujitsu, cook, yoga, and my favorite...yell at them incessantly

Now here’s an honest man ha ha

I’m glad I barely have to do it. I’m amazed at how good they are so far. Idiot ex left for 10 weeks during the pandemic so they were basically locked up inside with me. I expected them to fight one another like crazy, but it was just normal stuff.

I have a friend with kids the same age and 2 are hardcore into drugs and stuff. Makes me appreciate mine even more.

My boy is 6. He has a brain disease so he is unable to play any sports that he could sustain any blows to the head. 

We fish. We love to swim. Nerd guns and water guns are big hits in my house. We live about halfway between the Indianapolis and St Louis zoos, so we zoo a lot. Parks are a big hit. Superhero movies and cartoons on the reg. We also love to annoy each other and rip on each other. 

God I love my boy. I love when threads about parenting pop up. 

I get to relive the 80's and remember how lucky I was to be born in Texas.

Autistic kid - watch NASCAR, listen to music, watch him play video games, go karts, horseback riding, drive around - he loves memorizing house numbers and street names

Other boy/daughter - jiu jitsu, long walks, nightly UNO championship (we have a 6' trophy), cook, tubing, vacation planning, pool and whatever other stuff they are in (soccer, chorus, volleyball)

jscorbett -

My sons are older now and we hunt and shoot together. I am a high school agriculture teacher so my sons spent piles of time with me doing FFA events and activities. 

Whatever you do, find ways to spend as much time with them as you can.

BTW - the best indicator for success in life a girl can have is the quality of time spent with her by her dad. Girls need to know their dad loves them. Boys do too, but also need a passing of the mantle/acknowledgement of their manhood.

Great advice.

That passing of the mantle has been lost in our modern society imo. It's creating a generation of lost boys imo

Oh we recently took up D&D. The older two got super interested in it so all of us parents and two aunts decided to learn how to play so we can do a campaign woth them. They already make their own small dandd games too!

2 Likes

Judo, wrestling, hiking/walks.

My boys are 12 and 14.  I’m grateful they still want to train with their dad.  Older one has a bit of an independent streak so I try not to squash it.  They excel in academics and train with the old man.  They’re good kids who have a heart of gold.  im very proud when people tell me how good my boys are.  Case in point in past I received a call about some POS who was picking on a special needs kid and how my son plunked that kid and got the wrestling team he’s on to have the kid’s back.  Nobody’s fucking with the wrestling team.

1 Like

Good thread. Will post later.

Constantly elevating levels of violence. Everything seems to revolve around it.

I’m fine for now, but they keep growing. And they get more cunning.

1 Like

Jealous of you guys.

Hope to have a horde of boys.

throw the football

shoot guns

mtn bike

nerf gun wars

kayak

I love it

HELWIG -

Jealous of you guys.

I have a girl (oldest) and three boys. The boys are still at home. They are preteen. We're hitting puberty. It's like living in a frat house. They eat a shit load of food. They don't clean up after themselves. They constantly piss on the seat. They get BO. They are disgusting little creatures. 

I have a sense of pride when they do something right and sometimes they say funny things. 

That just about sums everything up with boys. 

ptper - Constantly elevating levels of violence. Everything seems to revolve around it.

I’m fine for now, but they keep growing. And they get more cunning.

yeah

getting both boys into wrestling at an early age may have been a bad idea.

HELWIG -

Jealous of you guys.

If you ever need a son,

Let me know,

I can't miss

1 Like

First camping trip at 3 weeks old. Been camping 30-40 nights per year. Been on the boat since first trip. First time surfing behind the boat at 6 months. Hikes, trips to the river, fishing, bicycles and what not. Just turned 3 and got upgraded from 6volt electric quad to 50cc 2 stroke. Can’t reach the pegs/foot rest. Used 2x4s for peg risers. Rips around pretty good for being a midget. Just surfed behind the boat again at 3. Loves the water. Being a parent is a real pain in the ass but starting to get cooler now that mini human status has been achieved.

Mine is a girl. Would be doing the same activities with a boy. Wrong thread asshole I know.