What Kind of Stuff Do You Do with your Son(s)?

He'll be 5 in October and unfortunately he lives with his Mom and I am at work early during the week. Only see him on the weekends lately as a result of new job and schedule change. Depending on the weather we'll go to the river and play in the water or go to the coast or the lake for a hike. We'll soak a mini nerf football in the river and play "waterball" where you throw the ball upstream and race to the ball. He doesn't like to play catch but he's all about waterball. Hah

Thelonious -
jscorbett -

My sons are older now and we hunt and shoot together. I am a high school agriculture teacher so my sons spent piles of time with me doing FFA events and activities. 

Whatever you do, find ways to spend as much time with them as you can.

BTW - the best indicator for success in life a girl can have is the quality of time spent with her by her dad. Girls need to know their dad loves them. Boys do too, but also need a passing of the mantle/acknowledgement of their manhood.

Great advice.

That passing of the mantle has been lost in our modern society imo. It's creating a generation of lost boys imo

Thanks. For more on that, read "Wild at Heart" by Eldridge.

ptper - Constantly elevating levels of violence. Everything seems to revolve around it.

I’m fine for now, but they keep growing. And they get more cunning.

This - I’ve got three boys 9, 6 and 5

The little one is going to be tough! He gets terrorised by his two older brothers. The eldest is autistic so he loves video games, reading, peace and quiet. The younger two LOVE rough housing - if I am laying down anywhere I get mobbed and will trap one of them while the other two attack me to try to ‘free’ their brother .

The littlest one though will straight punch you in the nuts to get out if you’re not careful

I also think rough housing is a super important bonding experience for dads and boys.

We’re best friends my son and I

He just turned 13 in May. I coached his football team, his basketball team, his baseball team and even his wrestling team when he was younger, even though I wasn’t a wrestler growing up but I know enough to teach some 7 year olds basics.

We golf a lot right now and even though he is a great baseball player (first selection traveling 13U team…even though the season got canceled)…I’m kinda pushing him this direction. There are a lot of scholarships that go unused for golf…since no one really plays competitively and focus at a youth level. It’s wasted free college money.

We go to the driving range, we play rounds when we can (fairly often), we bullshit about life, he drives the cart and thinks he’s awesome. We play baseball, I pitch to him and then do defensive drills…and we just talk, he asks me questions and I answer them the best I can giving my experience as a 13 year old.

He’s my buddy, and I’m very proud of him.

My Cub is almost 3. I run a martial arts gym so we often are there off hours so I can take the leash off and let him go haha.

My wife does the reading, crafts, puzzles kind of stuff with him. I do the gym, exploring outside, going to the park kindof  stuff with him. 

Check out the YouTube channel called Outdoor Boys. My 4 and 8 year old boys love it, and it has given me a lot of ideas.

I have a 5 and 3 yr old. The 5 yr old is a spitting image of myself to a T. Even has the bad temper. My 3 yr old has cerebral palsy. He was born with a rare infection called CMV. It at times can be a real struggle. For all the shit he has been through he is rarely ever fussy. Generally a happy guy but it kills me that he wont be able to do all the stuff his brother can. 

We dont do alot of tv but what we do watch is straight up 80's early 90's cartoons. Transformers, mazinger Z, dragon ball, denver the last dinosaur, dino riders.

My 5 yr old is also a runner and can hold his own. He is a "river rat". We do a ton of stuff out on the water. Need to buy a bigger bit more safer boat in order to take the little guy out on it. Crabbing season will be here soon. I dont take him out crabbing as he is still a bit young. Cant wait till he gets a bit older and bigger. 

LordSeano - 

I also think rough housing is a super important bonding experience for dads and boys.

1000%

sadic1 - Even though my childhood was such that I never really envisioned having kids, after ending up with 5 boys and 1 girl and getting older I started realizing how much fucking fun it is to have boys. Its basically a license to be really immature and play as much as possible. I love my daughter and enjoyed doing stuff with her, too, but boys playing boy type games with boys is more fun.

Since I work from home, a lot of my life, even sometimes during my workday, involves keeping a loaded Nerf gun by my side because right now, my 11 and 7 year olds ambush me all day. I get shot in the eyes at close range, sniped at a distance, lured, trapped, you name it. I barely flinch when one of them attacks me from behind a door by surprise anymore. We try to figure out which guns work best for us in terms of capacity, ease of deployment, and accuracy, horde ammo, and of course drive my wife nuts. It’s great.

Legos are a big thing in my house as well. My feet are immune to stepping on them at night, but Ive learned to shuffle my feet more. We build lego battle bots and stage fights with them, etc. We just bought Mindstorms so I can start to teach my 11 year old to code.

We also play a game with Hot Wheels cars, where we each “draft” a certain number of cars from the pile, and then we take turns pushing them from one end of the coffee table to the other, and by the time all cars have been launched, whoever’s car ends up closest to the end of the table wins that round, bumping each other is valid strategy, a hanger is a real accomplishment, and we play a certain number of rounds for supremacy.

We also play stoop ball at my house, and my 27 and 24 year olds also play that with us along with the 11 and 7 year olds. The batter throws the ball at the front stoop, everyone else is out in the yard as fielders. If the ball gets past people on the ground or a short line its a single, further in the air a double, past the tree is a triple, and into the street on a fly is a homer. Fielded cleanly on the ground or caught in the air is an out. The 7 year old is like a natural obstacle on defense, we let him try to field, and occasionally he makes a play, but nobody is allowed to get mad if he gets in the way and the batter gets a cheap hit out of it.

We’re also reading “My Side of the Mountain” together right now, about a young teenage boy who leaves his home in NYC to lived by himself off the land in the Catskills, and we just started home BJJ classes with me teaching them.

What are your go-to activities with your kids?

Do you include your daughter in that stuff? Girls would totally love doing all those things too.

LordSeano - 

Hell yeah

I do less these days as all sons… they do a lot on their own ha ha

Younger they used to “train” with me. Now, while they do respect me and all athletes, which truly helps them see smokers and substance abusers as losers, thus keeping them out of that stuff, they do not train with me anymore.

We play football and such, but not MMA, weights, cycling like they used to.

GoDieInACarWreck -

I get to relive the 80's and remember how lucky I was to be born in Texas.

https://vimeo.com/317121655

TheBearStare -
sadic1 - Even though my childhood was such that I never really envisioned having kids, after ending up with 5 boys and 1 girl and getting older I started realizing how much fucking fun it is to have boys. Its basically a license to be really immature and play as much as possible. I love my daughter and enjoyed doing stuff with her, too, but boys playing boy type games with boys is more fun.

Since I work from home, a lot of my life, even sometimes during my workday, involves keeping a loaded Nerf gun by my side because right now, my 11 and 7 year olds ambush me all day. I get shot in the eyes at close range, sniped at a distance, lured, trapped, you name it. I barely flinch when one of them attacks me from behind a door by surprise anymore. We try to figure out which guns work best for us in terms of capacity, ease of deployment, and accuracy, horde ammo, and of course drive my wife nuts. It’s great.

Legos are a big thing in my house as well. My feet are immune to stepping on them at night, but Ive learned to shuffle my feet more. We build lego battle bots and stage fights with them, etc. We just bought Mindstorms so I can start to teach my 11 year old to code.

We also play a game with Hot Wheels cars, where we each “draft” a certain number of cars from the pile, and then we take turns pushing them from one end of the coffee table to the other, and by the time all cars have been launched, whoever’s car ends up closest to the end of the table wins that round, bumping each other is valid strategy, a hanger is a real accomplishment, and we play a certain number of rounds for supremacy.

We also play stoop ball at my house, and my 27 and 24 year olds also play that with us along with the 11 and 7 year olds. The batter throws the ball at the front stoop, everyone else is out in the yard as fielders. If the ball gets past people on the ground or a short line its a single, further in the air a double, past the tree is a triple, and into the street on a fly is a homer. Fielded cleanly on the ground or caught in the air is an out. The 7 year old is like a natural obstacle on defense, we let him try to field, and occasionally he makes a play, but nobody is allowed to get mad if he gets in the way and the batter gets a cheap hit out of it.

We’re also reading “My Side of the Mountain” together right now, about a young teenage boy who leaves his home in NYC to lived by himself off the land in the Catskills, and we just started home BJJ classes with me teaching them.

What are your go-to activities with your kids?

Do you include your daughter in that stuff? Girls would totally love doing all those things too.

Side story, my boys are these little bad asses and think they’re hot shit sometimes.  I try to get my daughter into the wrestling and BJJ, but she’s all about gymnastics.  The boys tease her at times (she’s 12, they’re 12 and 14) so she’s all like I’ll do a double leg if you can hold a hand stand for a minute.  They leave her alone after that.  

she can throw decently though, but chose a different sport.

1 Like

Great thread! Its nice to read these posts! 

Hunt, fish, camp, hike, ski, and many other things.

The last few years since his wrestling career ended, we have purchased season passes, and we ski together about 50 days each winter.

We have an awesome time together. We both have limited entry elk tags this year. Mine is archery and his is muzzle-loader.

We will hunt many days together filling those tags, as well as 2 Mule Deer buck tags.

1 Like