What knife should I get?

My brother, a Navy SEAL , has turned me on to knives. He never goes anywhere without a couple on him. I would feel much safer If I had a good knife that would make attackers run away. Not that im looking for trouble, but guys are getting robbed , jacked, and pistol-whipped left and right where I live.
Whats a good knife to get that isnt too expenisve and is easy to use, conceal and just downright nasty?
Also, I plan on taking knife fighting classes too.

zawi

How much are you looking to spend?

Also, are you looking for a fixed blade or a folder? What are the laws in you area concerning ...

blade length

fixed blades (concealed or not concealed)

automatic knives

Grim is correct. Probly shouldnt draw it unless you NEED and INTEND to use it.

yes, I agree. Unfortunately the bad guys, not caring about the law and all, can have pistols, etc. even though they may be illegal for you. Kind of like training in MMA, having a blade can give a false sense of security in a situation where the best option is to get the fk outta dodge or give up the wallet. I see gun/blade as a last resort when all talking or running has failed... not as something that I brandish and the bad guys get scared. BUT... a blade is a great tool to have regardless, especially if you already have a basis in MMA (know how to take a punch, watch for the shoot and slam, avoid the mount etc). IMO, carry as big and strong a blade as local law will allow. There are a lot of great blades out there that are decent in price... 1SKS has a decent selection that you can check out to get an idea of what is available in your pricerange. IMO one important factor to look at is speed of deployment... how fast you can get it out, never know when you'll suddenly need it out. cheers

If you want a knife simply as a visual deterrent, I'd go for the Extra Large Vaquero Grande from Cold Steel. I own all types of knives (bowies, large folders), and I even own a khukri. THIS is the ONLY knife that simply gives me the heebee-geebees, even if I'M the one carrying it.

More important than the knife, though, is the training. There is an entire body of knowledge dealing with techniques, both physical and psychological, used for the knife. Expose yourself to this first, before you actually purchase anything.

"Never warn or threaten anyone with a knife, never
try to use one without realizing the fact that this
could result in the taking of another's life and/or
putting you in prison. If you cannot control your
emotions well enough to depend on always
making a rational decision about the use of a knife
DON'T EVER CARRY A KNIFE or even go near one
when you are upset.

If you must use a knife to protect yourself from
harm here are a few pointers.

Use a lanyard if possible, you are going to get
banged around, your hand is going to get wet and
the knife will be slippery, once you get started you
don't want to lose it. Things are going to get pretty
confused; you may even cut yourself in the melee.
Get a death grip on that knife. Keep the blade
pointed out of the thumb side of your fist.
Try to maintain a mobile stance much like that of a
boxer but with the following exceptions:
Keep your empty hand up about in front of and
close to your center chest and lower throat. Use
that hand to block and grab.
If your opponent is unarmed keep the blade low
and semi-concealed near your thigh. Maintain a left
side lead (if you are right handed) When you close
the distance between you and your opponent grab
his head or clothing with your left hand and start
stabbing upward into his thighs, groin and lower
abdomen. Don't stop until he starts to go down,
then hit the neck. This is virtually an assassination
and should not be done unless you have no choice
in order to preserve your own life or that of
another."

The above is from my book Strictly Street Stuff. If
you are interested you can order a copy from
Scrappers website or from me.

GrandpaB's book is great, I recommend it highly.

Brett, didn't Michigan pass that concealed carry law? (Figures they'd do it after I moved) Why bother with a knife if you can carry a pistol?

cuz you can't peel fruit or open Fedex pouches with a pistol, unless you're Homer Simpson.

Hello Zawi,

1st: Choose a weapon that fits your lifestyle, and carry considerations. You will not need to spend a fortune on a good blade, as there are many out there at reasonable prices.

The Vaquero is a scarey blade, and can be comfortably worn(Suprisingly!) But, a spyderco endura and Emerson CQC 7, Gerber Appelgate or many others will fit your requirements.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

I CARRY AN EMERSON CQC7 DAILY, I HAVE AN EXTENSIVE COLLECTION OF KNIVES, AND SO I HAVE A LOT OF CHOICES. SOME OF THE OTHER CHOICES I LIKE ARE AN EMERSON KNECK KNIFE, OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND.....I ALSO CARRY A POLKOWSKI SKINNER ON OCCASION, I LIKE MY ENTREK SKINNER AS WELL. I LIKE ALL OF BUD NEALY`S KNIVES AS WELL. PARAGON HAS SOME NICE AUTO KNIVES AS DO BENCHMADE AND BOKER. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A LOT OF BANG FOR YOUR BUCK TRY A KNIFE FROM COLD STEEL OR CAMILLUS
(THEIR BECKER KNIFE AND TOOL LINE IS RUGGED AND GOOD
. ALSO TRAIN WITH YOUR KNIFE...AS SILLY AS THIS SOUNDS YOU SHOULD USE IT AROUND THE HOUSE, PEEL VEGGIES WITH IT, GET COMFORTABLE HANDLING YOUR KNIFE SO THAT IT BECOMES NATURAL; GOOD LUCK