What makes an activity athletic?

Pivoting off the 'Are bodybuilders athletes?' thread, what makes an activity 'athletic'.  Bodybuilding, darts, bowling, golf, shooting?   Are these athletic endeavors?  

The ability to control ones body, ideally quickly / explosively, throughout all three planes of motion, and likely involving some semblance of reaction time and / or physical reaction to external stimulus.

2 Likes

Wiggy -

The ability to control ones body, ideally quickly / explosively, throughout all three planes of motion, and likely involving some semblance of reaction time and / or physical reaction to external stimulus.

This. I would also add hand/eye coordination and balance. 

If you can do it professionally past a certain age....i'd say about 50. 

Tom Watson very nearly won a major at age 59, finishing runner up at the open championship, as a member of the PGA Senior tour.

I think that right there disqualifies golfers as being mentioned in the same breath as other professional athletes.

spjackson77 - 

Tom Watson very nearly won a major at age 59, finishing runner up at the open championship, as a member of the PGA Senior tour.

I think that right there disqualifies golfers as being mentioned in the same breath as other professional athletes.

There are boxers and MMA fighters and muay thai fighters past 50 who still compete BUT I do see your point.

I'd say "be competitive" past a certain age.  To do something professionally just means getting paid.  Hell there's professional fighters that can't fight for shit but have a pro license and get paid, doesn't mean they're the same as UFC fighters.  Hell if I fought pro, I'd get murked...

Wiggy -

What about distance running/endurance activities?

spjackson77 -

Go watch one of the big hitters swing and tell me they aren't athletes. If you still don't get it, study what is required of a high level swing in golf, baseball, etc. The proper sequence and hand eye coordination in a high level swing is maybe the hardest thing to master in all of sports. 

I’d say an athlete is someone who competes (or has competed) in an activity which requires some sort of application of physical movement, technique or exertion that typically requires both training in skill development or technique and physical conditioning.

In that sense, games like darts or bowling could be considered sports and the partipants athletes because of the skill development required and the competitive nature of the activity requires physical performance.

Judged sports likebodybuilding is tougher to call partipants athletes because it could be argued that there’s negligible skill required to pose, and the primary judgment criteria is appearance not performance (ie a beauty contest).  If they did strongman that’s a completely different story.

The way I define it:

Moving your whole body with a degree of speed/explosiveness

Its the combination of moving the body and at a speed not in every day life.

Darts = no
Bodybuilding = no
Olympic weightlifting = yes
Golf = yes. The swing of the golf club is an explosive movement

nek -
Wiggy -

What about distance running/endurance activities?

Effort and training goes into distance competition,  aeroaerobically they outperform all the NFL, NBA, UFC, MLB, NHL.

Euclid Kipchoge, Lance Armstrong, Goggins the list is big.

Bad Monkey -
spjackson77 -

Go watch one of the big hitters swing and tell me they aren't athletes. If you still don't get it, study what is required of a high level swing in golf, baseball, etc. The proper sequence and hand eye coordination in a high level swing is maybe the hardest thing to master in all of sports. 

You mean like John Daly?

nek -

I'd say "be competitive" past a certain age.  To do something professionally just means getting paid.  Hell there's professional fighters that can't fight for shit but have a pro license and get paid, doesn't mean they're the same as UFC fighters.  Hell if I fought pro, I'd get murked...

Bernard Hopkins

TheDecider -
nek -

Bernard Hopkins

What about him?  He's great. And I think calling him an exception would be in order.

spjackson77 -
Bad Monkey -
spjackson77 -

You mean like John Daly?

I can't help but respect him for some reason...

On a SideNote - 
spjackson77 - 

There are boxers and MMA fighters and muay thai fighters past 50 who still compete BUT I do see your point.

Rocco Siffredi is 55.

nek -
spjackson77 -
Bad Monkey -
spjackson77 -

You mean like John Daly?

I can't help but respect him for some reason...

Oh me too. Two time major winner and always did it his way. He gave zero fucks. I love him

As far as long drive hitters go, they have separate competitions just for that. Just about every long drive hitter usually sucks at all the other aspects of golf, and could never win a golf tournament. Daly was one of the few exceptions. 

spjackson77 -
Bad Monkey -
spjackson77 -

You mean like John Daly?

John Daly is a powerful, explosive athlete.  But he was in terrible physical condition his entire career.  He relied exclusively on his natural athleticism to overcome his inherent laziness.  He was always out of shape, but there is an athlete under all that fat.

Is Gina Carano no longer an athlete just because she's a fat now?

1 Like

Wiggy - 

/thread

paw -
Wiggy - 

/thread

I mostly agree with this however I can't help but think endurance sports need some sort of recognition in the definition.  I suck at them, so perhaps that's why I hold them in some regard.