What Motivates You To Train?

Because if I didnt get my aggression out I would be a danger to myself and others(regardless of my meds)......Plus I only have one lifetime to ruin this body and I couldnt think of a better way to do it.

I'm married.

LOL @ Trent!

And I agree, Walt's post was exactly on the money. 

ttt

My motivation is simple. I am most happy when I train, and when I am in a training enviroment; not to mention that being part of a group or a society of individuals that strive for excellence thru their passion just simply rocks!!!

I was in the Marine Corps and I broke my l4-l5 vertebrae towards the end of my first enlistment. They offered me outs if I was hurt or I could sign documents stating that I was 100% and could never go back on them for treatment. So, I opted out. I was 1 year without serious training while I was healing up and rehabing the back.

So, the first time I go back to the gym, my old fighting buddy comes strolling in, fresh from Marine Corps Boot Camp, in prime condition and ready to fight with me like we used to fight. I am 20 pounds heavier than usual and weak as a baby kitten, but I agree. We filmed it. The beating I took that night on film has kept me training ever since. When I feel tired and dont want to train I watch that embarassing film and I get my ass up and go train.

As an aside, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have film behind that one of the next three years when that same guy came home on leave, and I have stomped his ass every time. That beating motivated me to get back into shape, work hard, learn more and opened my eyes to the fact that you get out of fighting what you put into it.

Jason

I really like it when i am working on something and i can see myself improving, Whether it be finally getting that takedown or holding your own in sparring. It gets really frustrating at times but once you break thro it is just a great feeling

girls

It's knowing that your your future opponent is working out today and you don't want him to get ahead of you.

What waltj said and the fact that I can get in good shape.

I love Wrestling. Greco, Freestyle, Folkstyle....it doesn't matter. I think its the greatest sport ever. I guess my motivation is that I'm excited to get better at something I love. I box also, but really only to stay in shape for Wrestling.

I was beaten up during my whole childhood, I don´t want that to happen again, so that motivates me to train.

Walt J and Spooky hit the correct.

Cause kicking ass is cool. Everybody wants to be cool.

It is part of my life(sport,game, friends, discipline, etc etc)

because if i do not train i will get a beating when i fight.

Also because i can work out all my frustrations from work and life in general in a positive way.

This is a really good thread, I haven't thought about it in a while, and I
feel like it's time that I did again.

MMA everything has been the one thing that gets me to excersize.

And love it. Nothing else made alot of sense to train for. If I don't
excersize, I get tense and anxious, and lethargic, then I just get
depressed. So it's important.

But man, I always remember liking the idea of the boxer training alone
for a fight, or just for getting better at boxing. There was something
so...fucking badass about that. I instantly thought that was cool.

Being a kid with super ADHD, it was one of those things I never
thought I could do.

But finnally I now work out by myself, and then go to school to train.

And it feels so good. I'm Buddhist, and I'm finding that mma and
training is somehow intermingling with it. But whenever I work out
hard, I know its for me and it's good for me. Right now, because I'm
moving, I'm feeling a little bit of a training lull, or like I need something
new in my routine. I definitly need to get back in the gym and start
training straight technique, that always helps me to keep doing
pushups and stuff. I really don't know what I'd do if I didn't train. I'd
probably still be depressed and unhappy. I don't ever want to be like
that again. That's why even when I feel complacent, I need to fight.

And don't you find that sparring and fighting FORCES you to keep a
constructive, positive attitude? And to be humble?

And I'm not arguing with anyone here about feeling macho and badass
when you slap some assassin shit on your opponent. But have you
ever had the time when you're drilling with someone and you work
together to figure out a technique? That's a very, very
rewarding feeling. Much more satisfying than winning all the time in
open mat.

Other than that, I want to be strong and healthy when I'm 60. And I
want to have fun and see the ways I can grow and develop physically
and mentally by fighting and refining it. You know. I guess it just
boils down to the fact that learning a Martial Art is a fun project.

Oh yeah, and chicks think your tuff when you talk about training.

seeking of the knowledge my friend that's the only reason I train. I only keep myself in shape to be capable of recieving the knowledge.

What motivates me to train is when people tell me I cant do something. It drives me nuts when someone says I cant do something and it makes me want to prove them wrong.

Training really makes me, completes me, and helps me stay balanced. I work as a supervisor over right now about 20 people. I have about three jobs I do for one salary. At the end of a stressful day of managing sales people, and dealing with upper management there is something strangely calming about hand to hand combat.

I can hate my life, be stressed out from work, have relationships problems, and on and on and as soon as I begin training everything is gone. All of my problems are gone, I have no more stress, I am balanced for the next day. My focus is in tune and nothing can stop me from what I want to accomplish. Right now I have a very healthy competition with my training group, and though I am the senior their desire to learn gives me great desire to teach and grow with them.

The only thing that makes me happier than pulling a cool sub, strike, or takedown myself is watching someone else do it after I or someone else have tought them, to see them excited and confident in their progress and personal victories. There is a strong brotherhood and commradery between my training group. We can leave sweat, blood, and tears on the mat and all still be their for each other. There is a special relationship between to people that can beat the hell out of each other just for the love of combat, a certain respect for those people is earned when you give and recieve pain with them.

I also love it to stay in shape and to challenge myself. Nothing is more competitive and personal then one person against the other. Without training, without proving myself on a daily basis in training I would be nothing. I feel like it was a major reason that I was even born.